• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A flock of hawks?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Just saw something I've never seen before: a flock of hawks. I counted exactly 30 of them. Didn't know there was such a thing. I consider myself something of an outdoors nut, have been all my life, and like I said, I've never seen hawks flying in a flock before.

Is this normal? Any bird nuts on the board?

In any case, it was really cool to watch.

xkatz

You know, the Romans believed that animals or groups of animals were omens, and usually bad ones at that.

Maybe it was a omen b/c you never replied to that message I posted on your wall.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I kind of doubt that 30 hawks would take time out of their evening to bring a message to one old hippy sitting outside a coffee shop.

"Hey Bernie"!

"Yeah Fred"?

"Hey, lets get the guys together and circle the Starbucks tonight".

"Why the hell would we do that"?

"There's this Quagmire guy sitting outside. Lets go screw with his head".

"You really need to get a life Fred".

xkatz

I kind of doubt that 30 hawks would take time out of their evening to bring a message to one old hippy sitting outside a coffee shop.

Oh... Symbolism perhaps. You being a hippy (dove) and them being hawks, which prey on the doves. Maybe it's about the divisions of people politically speaking during wartime.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh... Symbolism perhaps. You being a hippy (dove) and them being hawks, which prey on the doves. Maybe it's about the divisions of people politically speaking during wartime.

Most hippies are more like turkeys. :p

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

That explains it. Thanks Auto.
icon14.gif

It did kind of reminded me of surfing, which is basically what the link says they were doing.

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I've never seen two hawks flying together (not in formation)let alone 30..I bet it was pretty..

Ive seen bats do that..and its AWESOME!

They were probably freaking out from storm chasing them or something..

I dont know a lot about birds but I would have no idea why 30 hawks would fly together..I think its "counter nature" for them ..I could be wrong..

Love

Dallas

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Ive seen bats do that..and its AWESOME!
I think bats are pretty cool. I'm considering getting a bat house next year to help with insect control, which will hopefully also control the spider population with dozens of bats around to eat all the bugs the spiders would normally eat.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I passed this thread by a few times and then it hit that you were mentioned a flock of hawks. That does sound rather odd.

I can only imagine that must be quite a site.

It was, especially since it was new and unexpected.

I've never seen two hawks flying together (not in formation)let alone 30..I bet it was pretty..

They weren't in formation exactly, it was more like watching people going through the gate at a rock concert: they were all headed in the same direction, but in different sized groups and at their own pace.

First thing I saw this morning was a smaller kettle of hawks doing the same thing almost right over me: there were only 6 this time but they were flying in a much tighter circle---maybe 30 yards across---and much lower to the ground. First hint I had that they were there was when a huge hawk-shadow passed over the ground right in front of me.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
It was, especially since it was new and unexpected.

They weren't in formation exactly, it was more like watching people going through the gate at a rock concert: they were all headed in the same direction, but in different sized groups and at their own pace.

First thing I saw this morning was a smaller kettle of hawks doing the same thing almost right over me: there were only 6 this time but they were flying in a much tighter circle---maybe 30 yards across---and much lower to the ground. First hint I had that they were there was when a huge hawk-shadow passed over the ground right in front of me.

I wonder what is bothering them dont you?

Love

Dallas

Rio Sabinas

Old Geezer
Quagmire,
The circling motion was probably something as simple as riding the updraft of an air current.
That many Hawks together is something I've never seen either.

If that many Hawks gathered in East Texas where I live, it would probably attract every Crow for miles around. (no, Crows & Hawks do not play well with each other)