• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A different theological perspective

siti

How many apatheists would even bother to to take up the label?
To be mildly serious for a minute...I don't think the term was invented by an apatheist to describe themselves, I think it was made up by a scholar to describe a rather large number of people who have absolutely no interest in matters theistic. As you say, I doubt anyone who really is in that category would be bothered to even think about it, let alone attach the label to themselves. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't waste their time on RF.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
To be mildly serious for a minute...I don't think the term was invented by an apatheist to describe themselves, I think it was made up by a scholar to describe a rather large number of people who have absolutely no interest in matters theistic. As you say, I doubt anyone who really is in that category would be bothered to even think about it, let alone attach the label to themselves. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't waste their time on RF.
Can you tell me why?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The way I see it, apatheists may be so simply because we have learned about theism and god-beliefs and decided that they are utterly unimportant.

Being uninterested in the subject matter may be strongly correlated, but is no prerequisite.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Any apatheists here?

I generally don't consider myself one, but I probably fit some definitions of the term.

I think that many theists argue for gods that have zero measurable impact on anything we see or observe; I think the existence or non-existent of such a deity is irrelevant, so in that sense, I'm am apatheist.

OTOH, I also think that believing in such a god is foolish, so apparently I've taken a position on the issue. In that sense, I'm probably not an apatheist.