• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Deists Did Nothing Does Nothing Deity

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
From what might one infer the existence of a deity that did nothing of which we are aware and does nothing of which we are aware?

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I don't think it's necessarily intrinsic to Deism that God "did nothing". I have read some posts in the past whereas some believe God started everything but does not interfere.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I don't think it's necessarily intrinsic to Deism that God "did nothing". I have read some posts in the past whereas some believe God started everything but does not interfere.
The question in the OP is directed solely to those deists who do not make such a claim.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
From what might one infer the existence of a deity that did nothing of which we are aware and does nothing of which we are aware?

Deism does not say that God did nothing. A commonly shared belief of deism is that God is the creator, made the universe and the laws of nature that govern it, gave living beings free will, and set it all in motion. From there, He has no reason to be involved as things run on their own accord. Think of the universe as being on auto pilot. It follows its natural course.

As to how or why deists believe in a deity that we can't see or read about, the universe and the laws of nature seem to be too perfect to just be random. A study of biology and zoology will reveal thousands upon thousands of unique attributes that animals and other organisms possess in order to survive (us included). Those things appear to be by design, not random chance.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Deism does not say that God did nothing. A commonly shared belief of deism is that God is the creator, made the universe and the laws of nature that govern it, gave living beings free will, and set it all in motion. From there, He has no reason to be involved as things run on their own accord.
And yet you indicated elsewhere that you were not invested in such a belief and, when challenged, dismissively relegated it to the category of classical deism.

So my question remains: What inspires or compells you to posit a deity that (a) did not necessarily play a role in creation, and (b) does not necessarily intervene today?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In a culture steeped in theism, in which disbelievers are widely criticized, completely cutting the cord might be a step further than many are comfortable going.

dust1n

Zindīq
Spinoza was a pantheist at best. I see no way in which he offered any support for Deism.

I guess the difference being that either God is of nature, and does't really mean or do anything to humans, or God is completely separate of nature, and doesn't really mean or do anything to humans?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I guess the difference being that either God is of nature, and does't really mean or do anything to humans, or God is completely separate of nature, and doesn't really mean or do anything to humans?
This being a DIR I hesitate to offer opinions on the relative merits of deism and pantheism.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
And yet you indicated elsewhere that you were not invested in such a belief and, when challenged, dismissively relegated it to the category of classical deism.

So my question remains: What inspires or compells you to posit a deity that (a) did not necessarily play a role in creation, and (b) does not necessarily intervene today?

I already answered those questions.

A: I do believe that God was the creator of the universe, just not according to Genesis.
B: Free will and the laws of nature.