• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Common Facet Of Two Women (For Rebecca H. and For One Other)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
You are a wildness, a mystery,
A trail to the bears;
The wandering of elk.

Somewhere the wind
Flows as a river
Through the ponderosa;
The sun falls down between satin needles
To dapple your forest floor.

A sensuous spirit are you, an affirmation,
An embracer of life who’s given life:
A huge spirited woman.

I want to taste you, hike you,
Leave the kept lawns behind:
Cross you for miles
To pitch tent by your rushing stream.

Mystic-als

Sunstone said:
Somewhere the wind
Flows in a river

I like this! what an awsome thought! wind as a river. Brilliant.
On our SDS (Sunstone dung scale) i think it's a Horse manure with little Elephant sprinckles on top for the above quoted line.
It's like looking at the cloud as the sun breaks through.
Thank you for this.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Thank you so much, Mystic! I hope I haven't destroyed some pleasure for you, but I felt compelled to change river to ocean. The mystery and spirit of these two women is two great for a river, IMO. Maybe that's it. But perhaps you should know that here in Colorado the closest we ever come to hearing the sound of an ocean is when the wind blows through a forest of ponderosa pines.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Bastet said:

Thank you for the comment, Beautiful Meg! I am not at all surprised, however, that my poetry causes you to faint from nausea. The government is currently testing it for possible weapons applications.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Mystic-als said:
Noooooooooooo!!!
Only kidding! Good change. Still beautiful.

Thank you, Mystic!

I confess this poem is dedicated to two women, both jewels, who could easily be sisters, except they look nothing alike physically. One is a tall beauty and one is a petite beauty. But apart from that, they are soul sisters. In the poem, I think I've captured one of the facets these two share, a certain rare and completely spirited embrace of life. They are untamed, wild, natural women with huge, graceful spirits.

You might be right about this poem basically being horse manure, but I think it rises a bit above that myself.

standing_alone

I think this is a very good poem. I agree with Mystic that it is better with wind as a river than as an ocean. A river shows more motion, more twisting and meandering. To me, an ocean just doesn't. But it's your poem and you have a different idea with what you want as to what the ocean means, so do with it as you please. :) And like Bastet, I also felt compelled to faint when I finished that last stanza, especially due to the use of adolescent slang for an erection. :p

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
standing_alone said:
I think this is a very good poem. I agree with Mystic that it is better with wind as a river than as an ocean. A river shows more motion, more twisting and meandering. To me, an ocean just doesn't. But it's your poem and you have a different idea with what you want as to what the ocean means, so do with it as you please. :) And like Bastet, I also felt compelled to faint when I finished that last stanza, especially due to the use of adolescent slang for an erection. :p

Thank you, Standing Alone! Your comments are greatly appreciated. I wasn't aware I had used adolescent slang for an erection, but I'm glad you fainted anyway. Those silly adolescents stole my poetry even before I knew enough to steal it back from them, dang it! I agree with you that ocean weakens the poem, but this is a case where I'm going to stay with it because in my experience of wind through ponderosa, the sound is more like being swallowed by an ocean than it is like standing near a rushing river. So, for the sake of accuracy I'll keep ocean. Thank you again for your comments!

Ody

Does everything you make have an innuendo? Or symbolism involving women? :p

Anyways i thought the poem was gud! :)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
AlanGurvey said:
Does everything you make have an innuendo? Or symbolism involving women? :p

Anyways i thought the poem was gud! :)

Thank you, Alan! I actually hadn't intended there to be any innuendo in this one. It just came out that way. I was surprised when I re read it.

Of course, both women being spoken of as one woman in the poem have extraordinary sexualities, so maybe my subconcious wanted to put some innuendo in it...and did. :eek:

evearael

I really enjoyed this poem! I love the juxtaposition of the bears and elk which invokes fierceness and grace in their primal beauty. The words drip with devotion and adoration, and the reference to "kept lawns" only magnify the feeling of reverence for untamed souls of these two women. I also completely missed the slang that Standing_Alone mentioned. I would personally consider changing the word "huge" but other than that it is perfect. I feel that stream and ocean are both effective, both definitely convey different messages when read with the rest of the poem. Thanks for sharing!

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
Sunstone said:
I wasn't aware I had used adolescent slang for an erection, but I'm glad you fainted anyway. Those silly adolescents stole my poetry even before I knew enough to steal it back from them, dang it!
Since I have a Freudian eye I spotted it :) Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar but to pitch tent by a rushing stream! OOOH NO! :p

I liked the sense of dynamic movement and exploration in this one. Associations with natural beauty always work for me too. I wonder though, how is such a person like a trail to the bears?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Scarlett Wampus said:
Since I have a Freudian eye I spotted it :) Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar but to pitch tent by a rushing stream! OOOH NO! :p

I'm certainly can't argue with you. The association is perfectly legitimate eventhough I didn't consciously make it while writing out the poem. The images in all my poems, and often the word choices themselves, are typically intuitive: They bubble up from who knows where. Ironically, I'm sometimes the last to see an obvious association. :p

The only thing I will say about the image is that I believe both a sexual and a non sexual interpretation are equally valid. It's neither one nor the other, but both.

I liked the sense of dynamic movement and exploration in this one. Associations with natural beauty always work for me too.

Thank you, Scarlett! You might be interested to know that both of the women the poem is dedicated to are nature enthusiasts. For instance: I can hardly recall a day I've seen Becky in casual clothing without her wearing boots suited to hiking, although I'm sure she does wear other foot garb at times. She's just as much at home in a wilderness campsite as I am in my living room. So, the association of natural beauty to her is a very easy one to make.

I wonder though, how is such a person like a trail to the bears?

That's a very good question. Some years ago, Becky introduced me to one of my favorite hikes, a wilderness area that begins about 15 miles South of me called Aiken Canyon. There are two main trails through it. The first makes a big loop so that you come out where you started. The second branches off the first and runs West into the Rocky Mountains.

At the trail head is a chalk board where hikers will leave useful notes for those who come after them. One day, I was preparing to hike the main loop when I noticed someone had left a note of spotting a bear a mile or so down the West trail.

There are thousands of bears still left in Colorado, Scarlett, but it is rare for any one person to see one. They tend to go the other way when they hear the noisiest thing in the forest coming, that is a human. So, when I saw a bear had been spotted down the West trail only a couple hours before, I decided to have a look for myself.

I had never hiked the West trail before. And as I got a ways down it, things began to get stranger and stranger. For one thing, the sounds changed. The air was hushed. The tail entered a thicker forest. I felt there was an appreciable sense of mystery growing on that trail, something wild, perhaps even dangerous, but certainly mysterious.

It came time to turn back, and I did, and I saw no bears that day, but the image of that trail was in my mind when I wrote of those women as being "a trail to bears".

I don't know if that entirely explains the image, but it's perhaps a start.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
evearael said:
...the reference to "kept lawns" only magnify the feeling of reverence for untamed souls of these two women.

Thank you for your kindness in commenting on the poem, Evearael!

I am curious if you think, like I sometimes do, that the line about leaving the kept lawns behind is the most crucial single line in the poem?

Beck63Don

My Reply!
I'm not going on that west trail anymore! I've done the loop several times lately and I never venture west. Not after the mountain lion tracks in the snow and the bear dung and the bear scratchings on the trees and the sounds...yes...the sound changes as you head west on that trail. And about the government testing for possible weapons applications...Aunt Kathy says the missile interception system is operating with utmost efficiency! Do we really believe anything we hear? And most certainly only half of what we see. It's all in a state of change! Maybe I should head west on the trail. Maybe change has brought Koala's and Kangaroos!!!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Beck63Don said:
My Reply!
I'm not going on that west trail anymore! I've done the loop several times lately and I never venture west. Not after the mountain lion tracks in the snow and the bear dung and the bear scratchings on the trees and the sounds...yes...the sound changes as you head west on that trail. And about the government testing for possible weapons applications...Aunt Kathy says the missile interception system is operating with utmost efficiency! Do we really believe anything we hear? And most certainly only half of what we see. It's all in a state of change! Maybe I should head west on the trail. Maybe change has brought Koala's and Kangaroos!!!

ROFL! Good point about things changing, but I still doubt very much that the West trail is now infested with Australian fauna rather than bears and mountain lions! When did you see the lion tracks, Beck? Last winter?

You mean they finally got the missle system working?? Everyone was saying it wouldn't work. I guess they were wrong.

Welcome to the Forum! I'm so happy you're here! And I'm so happy you're reading the poem co-dedicated to you!

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Sunstone said:
You are a wildness, a mystery,
A trail to the bears;
The wandering of elk.

Somewhere the wind
Flows as a current
Through the ponderosa;
The sun falls down between satin needles
To dapple your forest floor.

A sensuous spirit are you, an affirmation,
An embracer of life who’s given life:
A huge spirited woman.

I want to taste you, hike you,
Leave the kept lawns behind:
Cross you for miles
To pitch tent by your rushing stream.

This is a beautifully wrought poem!

While I also saw the "erection" imagery in the last stanza (as well as a possible hirsute metaphor?), I enjoy the deeper meaning of sharing in a life that is boundless.