• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Bunch of Reasons Why I Question Noah's Flood Story:

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Would they not have progressed immediately had Yahweh willed them to? Or taught them to? Or given them commandments earlier?

Truly consider what you are saying.
Right but we know that's not what's happening... otherwise humans would have immediately conquered galaxies on the moment of their existence.

There's no way out of interpreting the Bible but completely.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Can you imagine trying to get an ancient people to tolerate gay people? Look at the US 50 years ago and even now.
The Greeks and Romans were actually OK with homosexuality. It tends to be the uptight, religious folk who have rigid ideals that have a problem with freedom and free expression. That's a timeless tradition in religions.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
The Greeks and Romans were actually OK with homosexuality. It tends to be the uptight, religious folk who have rigid ideals that have a problem with freedom and free expression. That's a timeless tradition in religions.
That's very interesting and I don't understand it. The Book of Mormon says zilch about homosexuality.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
When I was explaining how God guides different people at their level, different groups have different capacities and the level of morality isn't a straight arrow in time.

F1fan

Veteran Member
When I was explaining how God guides different people at their level, different groups have different capacities and the level of morality isn't a straight arrow in time.
That's because morals change with social attitudes. In WW2 it was Ok to fire bomb an enemy city and kill tens of thousands of civilians, including women and children. Today we find that unacceptable. We could drop atomic bombs on cities and be ok with it. Are we better people today? Or have we just changed our attitudes?

Last edited:

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
That would be nice, wouldn't it?

View attachment 55926
Btw I may not be humble in saying this; although our church is very wealthy, there's never been a financial scandal and only the top 15 make any money. #1 makes $90,000/yr. He has to pay for transportation and he travels all around the world. He is 97 years old, very healthy, and a world-renowned physician.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
That may be, but I am following the best Church I can find. It doesn't condone slavery.
That is an interesting point you make. I have often thought that our minds and hearts are involved in how we respond to someone's message. And that God knows our hearts. What we are inclined towards.

YoursTrue

I'm going to repeat this.

I am not for slavery today. I'm for tolerating slavery by a primitive people in a way that was better than it was recently. If you can't see the difference, I'm getting sick of you all:

• In both the Old and New Testaments, the words used to denote slaves did not necessarily carry the same connotations that we associate with slavery today. Only by understanding the biblical texts and the cultures that produced them can we understand what is being referred to in the Bible.

• The stealing and selling of human beings, such as has been common throughout human history, is a capital offense according to Old Testament law. The return of fugitive slaves to their masters was also illegal.

• In almost every instance, the kind of slavery governed by Old Testament law was debt-slavery, where an individual would offer labor in exchange for an outstanding debt that he could not pay. The laws that govern such transactions are given to protect the rights of such slaves, who could only serve for a maximum of six years.

• Early Christians had to work out their treatment of one another under Roman law, which they lacked the political influence to change.

• The Christian community was a counter-cultural movement in which social distinctions were all but erased. Jesus is the true Lord, and masters and slaves were expected to treat each other as beloved brothers and sisters and equal members of the body of Christ.
Cultures in ancient times were different in general from those of today. Therefore what was acceptable centuries ago, or milleniums ago, may not be acceptable today. But this is not to say that God did not work with those of a notably different mindset culturally than what we have today.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Cultures in ancient times were different in general from those of today. Therefore what was acceptable centuries ago, or milleniums ago, may not be acceptable today. But this is not to say that God did not work with those of a notably different mindset culturally than what we have today.
YoursTrue, you're really doing good with my concepts.

I can't proselytize but if you ever want to check out my church feel free.

Last edited:

YoursTrue

YoursTrue, you're really doing good with my concepts.

I can't proselytize but if you ever want to check out my church feel free.
Thanks. I have looked at some teachings. I believe the Bible. But thank you. I do appreciate some of your thoughts.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Thanks. I have looked at some teachings. I believe the Bible. But thank you. I do appreciate some of your thoughts.

So you believe that God is a liar when it comes to Noah's Flood. The evidence against it is so endless that it would take a God to cover up that evil act.

EDIT: Oops, I see that you are talking about the LDS. Reading the Bible literally is still an error. There really is no need to do so.

Faithofchristian

I do not question the flood of Noah's..
But I do not believe the flood of Noah's as covering the whole earth..
As many Christians are being taught in the churches by man's teachings and doctrines in the churches..

There's a good reason why I do not believe the flood of Noah's as covering the whole earth..
That is to have destroyed all life on earth.

In the book of
Genesis 10:1-5,
Here we find the Isles of the Gentiles after the flood of Noah's..
So of the flood of Noah's was to destroy all life on earth..
So what happened that the Isles of the Gentiles was still there after the flood of Noah's????
Good Question Right??

YoursTrue

I do not question the flood of Noah's..
But I do not believe the flood of Noah's as covering the whole earth..
As many Christians are being taught in the churches by man's teachings and doctrines in the churches..

There's a good reason why I do not believe the flood of Noah's as covering the whole earth..
That is to have destroyed all life on earth.

In the book of
Genesis 10:1-5,
Here we find the Isles of the Gentiles after the flood of Noah's..
So of the flood of Noah's was to destroy all life on earth..
So what happened that the Isles of the Gentiles was still there after the flood of Noah's????
Good Question Right??
The waters receded, didn't they?

tas8831

Right but we know that's not what's happening... otherwise humans would have immediately conquered galaxies on the moment of their existence.
Non sequitur.
There's no way out of interpreting the Bible but completely.
When I first started visiting sites like this, back when I was in graduate school, there was a lady who was a retired high school science teacher. This was around 1996 or so. She was 100% YEC bible literalist. She ended up getting married to a 2nd tier professional creationist. She, of course, fancied herself a bible expert (as well as a science expert), and she emphatically declared - and was supported by every YEC that replied to her claim - that we should NOT interpret the bible at all, that a "straightforward reading" was all that a TRUE Christian should rely on.
I guess that sentiment has changed?

Well, actually it changed 25 years ago - when I asked her about Hosea 13:16. I was told I was "interpreting" it incorrectly...