• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A "Break" from Meditation?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have had a daily meditation practice for the last 5 straight years with very few days skipped. I would meditate for one hour or more every morning. The effect has been transforming from the very beginning, to say the very least. Cumulatively, I'm not the same person today with a profound change in my perspectives and insights, temperament and disposition, creativity and relationships, and so forth. Yet since the death of my father back in April, I've found myself far less frequently doing my daily ritual of meditation practice, sitting on the cushion and entering into these prolonged and deep meditative states.

The interesting thing about this is one might expect progress in one's life being stalled, or potentially falling back into less even control and clarity and old mind habits. But instead it seems more like what's been done in all that work is continuing to deepen. It's like putting something in the oven which continues to bake in the dish after you've pulled it out. It seems it's not just a matter of the interior work done on the mat where gains are made. Rather it seems all of that continues to grow and move through me, continuing the work despite not sitting in the seat in the classroom as a student. In fact, one could argue that this "break" is necessary in order to let it settle and ground, to deepen and enrich the person's being in themselves and in the world as it continues to transform them as they do the daily work of living with this new inner knowledge. I suppose this defines integration.

I say "break" in meditation with quotes, because in reality it's not that what has been opened to has been set aside. It's just the daily exercise routine down at the gym, so to speak. The techniques of how to look at life, how to use the mind more effectively, how to take all those "normal" things in us such as our fears, anxieties, egoic self-seeking, and so forth and process them quite differently than from when we first began. One could say it is all still meditation, just less going directly into the classroom as a student in college. It's a different sort of schooling, like a field trip you might say where you don't having your pen and paper in hand taking notes, but simply observing, processing, and integrating what you encounter as you walk through the world.

On those days now when I do a sitting meditation as before, it's no struggle at all to "get back" to where I was. In fact, it's brilliant the second I hit the mat. Overwhelmingly so in fact. Quite free and liberated, like coming Home to the familiar faces of one's family. And you are a different, wiser, more mature person today whom they happily greet at the door adding to their own joy.

I think in no small way, the reality of my life at this time of major life change in my family, the dying of my father whom I was able to be with at his side as he passed, being with and supporting my mother in this change of life as a widow, the grief of family and that of my own, is in itself part of the whole in what takes these deeper inner insights and applies them to integrating our own past and present being into who we are becoming. All of this time is a place of transforming the past which is of course part of all of what makes me who I am, but with that true Light which I've moved into through these past 5 years of work.

And so I wonder if others find that sometimes you have to take a "break" and let things simmer and blend the stew together in your life, and that that actually is the work that needs to be done? Obviously work is continuing, but not with the routine or exact tools. It just seems curiously strange in a way to me, perhaps because the daily ritual has been so much a part of me it feels like I "should" be but am not. I know that part of my life and practices is not over, but simply undergoing a change I didn't expect exactly. Thoughts?

Orbit

I'm a planet
I've been taking a break, too. Nothing wrong with that. I think we end up doing what we need to do at the time. You probably need to do what you're doing now--you can always return to meditation.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Wow, very impressive. I assume “meditation” in your case is probably sitting in a lotus like posture and with eyes perhaps half closed meditating on a form, light, silence, visions of spirituality, mind calmness and so on, perhaps traditional yogic style.

My type is very different, sure a bit of that, but I also greet Surya the Sun in the morning or evening even upon sunset, but I also consider other methods as meditation such as lighting incense and then greeting a murti and then sitting happy, or singing bhajans, visiting a temple and then observing in the main sanctum area. To tell the truth, my “meditation” is seldom alone, what I mean by that is others are around, a family like, including murtis and so on. Yes, I understand that traditionally some do not consider this “meditation”, but it is to me.

I see NO issue with “taking a break” (from the more traditional, lotus posture one hour meditation(s)), and when I take a break I go hiking in nature – which I ALSO find as a form of “meditation”. I chant OM NAMAH SIVAYA 108 times while walking along, I especially enjoy to be near water and always have be it a lake, stream, river, pool, waterfall and so on.

So do you think hiking or nature walking can also be a form of meditation? I do, but do you? Can’t you “take a break” and “go hiking”? Why not? I think it is great.

Amazing things can happen. A couple of years ago I went DEEP into the “wilderness” following along a small river, heavy wood area, deeper, deeper, in some of the bends of the river or stream pools had formed, sort of still, very beautiful, the little “water bugs” swim on top, rays of sun shoot like bolts into the shaded areas covered by tree tops. Big bolders in the water, in my mind I think “around the next corner, will there be Hanuman standing down the trail?”. This is how I think, will Hanuman be there?

Then I came upon these birds. A type of Dipper. Many. They would be on the rocks and bolders near a pool in the stream. Very cute these birds. They would dive into the water, probably getting bugs, but go right into the water, then come out. Diving. Wow. What a show! I just watched them for about 30 minutes non-stop and they didn’t mind at all me being there. I was right on top of them, like only six feet away. Amazing. I imagined we became friends. And perhaps we did.

But I thought of it as mediation. Their “dance” a form of mind music. It was like music in my head, the motions they made, their shadows, their “shooting” through light beams and then diving then back into the shadows of the shade of looming trees.

When I moved on, I came upon a huge raptor. I thought of Garuda.

It was a memorable day of “meditation”. So there are many ways to “meditate”. Do you ever do nature walks?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Wow, very impressive. I assume “meditation” in your case is probably sitting in a lotus like posture and with eyes perhaps half closed meditating on a form, light, silence, visions of spirituality, mind calmness and so on, perhaps traditional yogic style.

My type is very different, sure a bit of that, but I also greet Surya the Sun in the morning or evening even upon sunset, but I also consider other methods as meditation such as lighting incense and then greeting a murti and then sitting happy, or singing bhajans, visiting a temple and then observing in the main sanctum area. To tell the truth, my “meditation” is seldom alone, what I mean by that is others are around, a family like, including murtis and so on. Yes, I understand that traditionally some do not consider this “meditation”, but it is to me.

I see NO issue with “taking a break” (from the more traditional, lotus posture one hour meditation(s)), and when I take a break I go hiking in nature – which I ALSO find as a form of “meditation”. I chant OM NAMAH SIVAYA 108 times while walking along, I especially enjoy to be near water and always have be it a lake, stream, river, pool, waterfall and so on.

So do you think hiking or nature walking can also be a form of meditation? I do, but do you? Can’t you “take a break” and “go hiking”? Why not? I think it is great.

Amazing things can happen. A couple of years ago I went DEEP into the “wilderness” following along a small river, heavy wood area, deeper, deeper, in some of the bends of the river or stream pools had formed, sort of still, very beautiful, the little “water bugs” swim on top, rays of sun shoot like bolts into the shaded areas covered by tree tops. Big bolders in the water, in my mind I think “around the next corner, will there be Hanuman standing down the trail?”. This is how I think, will Hanuman be there?

Then I came upon these birds. A type of Dipper. Many. They would be on the rocks and bolders near a pool in the stream. Very cute these birds. They would dive into the water, probably getting bugs, but go right into the water, then come out. Diving. Wow. What a show! I just watched them for about 30 minutes non-stop and they didn’t mind at all me being there. I was right on top of them, like only six feet away. Amazing. I imagined we became friends. And perhaps we did.

But I thought of it as mediation. Their “dance” a form of mind music. It was like music in my head, the motions they made, their shadows, their “shooting” through light beams and then diving then back into the shadows of the shade of looming trees.

When I moved on, I came upon a huge raptor. I thought of Garuda.

It was a memorable day of “meditation”. So there are many ways to “meditate”. Do you ever do nature walks?
Oh my, I love this all. You're descriptions come right to my soul. I've been staying up at a cabin on a lake for the last month. I play the bansuri in the evening, watching the waterfowl dance on the water in the light of the setting sun, playing to them, creating a song around their movements. This is meditation, as you say. You speak to my soul.