• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9% Say they intentionally have not paid back student loans

Clizby Wampuscat

This survey says that 9% of student loan borrowers are intentionally not paying back their student loan out of protest. This is a ethical issue. Why should I the taxpayer pay for their college education when they voluntarily took out the loan? This is radical left wing thinking. Cancelling loan debt is nothing but pandering for votes along with it being ethically wrong. We all must pay back our loans we take out even if we took them out with bad decisions.

Why would it be wrong to starts garnishing their wages to get the money back like deadbeat parents? After all they are deadbeat money borrowers.

For people that cannot afford the payment but want to pay it back I am for working with them to come up with a reasonable payment plan. But they still must pay it back. Why anyone thinks loan forgiveness is a moral act is beyond me.

Bthoth

*banned*

This survey says that 9% of student loan borrowers are intentionally not paying back their student loan out of protest. This is a ethical issue. Why should I the taxpayer pay for their college education when they voluntarily took out the loan? This is radical left wing thinking. Cancelling loan debt is nothing but pandering for votes along with it being ethically wrong. We all must pay back our loans we take out even if we took them out with bad decisions.

Why would it be wrong to starts garnishing their wages to get the money back like deadbeat parents? After all they are deadbeat money borrowers.

For people that cannot afford the payment but want to pay it back I am for working with them to come up with a reasonable payment plan. But they still must pay it back. Why anyone thinks loan forgiveness is a moral act is beyond me.
Actually it's more of a trump style of wingnut. Expecting everyone will pay for their brilliance.

Myself, i see it, that if the next generations are not better than us, then 'we' all failed.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Why anyone thinks loan forgiveness is a moral act is beyond me

I'm surprised people think lending money to others with interest is a moral act.

Expecting more back than you lent someone is way more immoral than not paying out of protest.

I'd be well happy to pay back the $15k if I took that out as a student loan. I shouldn't a the end of that loan, ended up paying closer 2x that amount thanks to interest.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Interest rates **** up the housing market. That's why they have to constantly "adjust them" to keep from ****ing the economy too badly.

Brickjectivity

Brickish Brat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure that they do garnish wages, but even if they don't an untreated school loan kills your credit. Any sort of application for help with the loan also has problems, because you can't buy stock, can't have lots of money etc. That loan is just sitting there on your back, and you can never get rid of it. You cannot file for bankruptcy either. The only kind of debt that sticks harder is medical debt. In the meantime the dollar is losing its value, so the loan is too. Also in the meantime median pay is getting worse, so there's that. Overall people with school debts never get rid of them until those debts are paid. The exception is someone working in specific jobs like teaching (blech!) at underfunded schools.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm surprised people think lending money to others with interest is a moral act.

Expecting more back than you lent someone is way more immoral than not paying out of protest.

I'd be well happy to pay back the $15k if I took that out as a student loan. I shouldn't a the end of that loan, ended up paying closer 2x that amount thanks to interest.
It's considered sin in Christianity.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

I'm not paying either. But I've never made enough to have to make them.
It's a moral act that would have a net gain on the economy because the crippling debts would be gone, people have more money to spend, and America can join the rest of the developed world that has made college free or very affordable.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'm not paying either. But I've never made enough to have to make them.
It's a moral act that would have a net gain on the economy because the crippling debts would be gone, people have more money to spend, and America can join the rest of the developed world that has made college free or very affordable.
There's loans in the UK these days. When I went to uni (pre-Cambrian) there were grants, not loans. Communism eh?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Why is it so difficult to find the numbers how much was borrowed and how much is owed?
I do not mean on an individual basis, I mean the total borrowed compared to the total owed.

With all this whining (on both sides) one would think those two numbers would be readily available.

Laika

Premium Member

I could be wrong here as I don't fully understand the complexities of the student loan system, but if student loans are anything like sub-prime mortgages, the point of the loan is not that a student should repay them. Having students in a lifetime of debt creates other commercial opportunities for those who have control of the loans. Banks and/or other financial institutions could repackage the debt, turn them in to derivatives and securities and sell it on in financial markets at an increased value to make a profit.

This of course doesn't change the fundamental value of the original debt, so it feeds into unsustainable speculation that will eventually lead to a crash. And having an entire generation perpetually in debt is an effective method of social control, as it's the same thing the west does to third world countries. The idea of student's "investing" in their future is just marketing spin to sell a bad idea to the general public, the same as promising the "american dream" of borrowing a mortgage so anyone can own your own home.

...but when the financial system realises the game is up and that student loans are practically worthless because there is an entire generation that can't afford to repay them, the banks will start screaming they are "too big to fail" and will ask the government to write off the loans anyway in a bailout package that will cost the tax payer billions or even trillions of dollars.

This is not "radical left wing" thinking. It's the difference between whether the government would rather wait for a global financial crisis to help the banks later, or help the students now. As the tax payer, you are screwed either way because the system is corrupt and broken by design and the government will take your money no matter what you do.

And before that happens, the loans get written off anyway.

Am I wrong? Anyone more informed than me is welcome to jump in...

After a quick google search, it looks (regrettably) like I'm in the right area:

flowerpower

The world has changed.

Tertiary institutions have not changed alongside the world.

There is very good reason why people are disgusted with today's universities and the unconscionable scams they pull on young people - mostly teenagers.

Maybe outdated societal expectations play a role too - but the culpability that universities have in promising the world to young adults who don't really understand the way the world works only to have their students' expectations blow up in their faces is something that has consequences.

What tertiary institutions do to kids today actually lead to a lot of miserable, destroyed lives and suicides. It's very much something on the uptick too - extremely bright intelligent kids who are trying their best to live the best lives for themselves, their loved ones and society as a whole are having their lives totally destroyed by the corruption and greed of universities.

There's nothing moral about that.

There's definitely something moral about trying to correct this grave injustice - whether that be student loan forgiveness or boycotting the repayments altogether. Something's gotta give and the universities are the ones with the blood on their hands.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So many people to blame.
So many wrongs.
Bad decisions.
Entitlement.
Corruption.
Sloth.
Theft.

I'll pick one.....
Society tells kids "you must go to college".
College makes you educated & better.
College grads earn more.
If you don't go to college, you'll end up
in a trade, eg, plumber...that's low class.
So they blindly borrow a small fortune to
get that degree in medieval art history,
giving no thought to how they'll pay
back the loan....which was given with little
thought to kids who didn't yet understand
what borrowing is all about.
Pretty broad based debacle, eh?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
So many people to blame.
So many wrongs.
Bad decisions.
Entitlement.
Corruption.
Sloth.
Theft.

I'll pick one.....
Society tells kids "you must go to college".
College makes you educated & better.
College grads earn more.
If you don't go to college, you'll end up
in a trade, eg, plumber...that's low class.
So they blindly borrow a small fortune to
get that degree in medieval art history,
giving no thought to how they'll pay
back the loan....which was given with little
thought to kids who didn't yet understand
what borrowing is all about.
Pretty broad based debacle, eh?
If university were free...maybe there wouldn't be such a problem....
In Slovenia it is free.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If university were free...maybe there wouldn't be such a problem....
In Slovenia it is free.
Oh, if everything in life were free.
But I've observed a problem when a consumer perceives no cost.
That which is free isn't valued as much. Greater tendency to waste.
And what's free is less financed than what's paid for, so quality suffers.
Be careful what you wish for.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Oh, if everything in life were free.
But I've observed a problem when a consumer perceives no cost.
That which is free isn't valued as much.
I can assure you that in the EU such discourse has never existed.
A university is prestigious, because of its history. Not because of its "cost".
The University of Bologna is very prestigious, for example.
And affordable.
Greater tendency to waste.
And what's free is less financed than what's paid for, so quality suffers.
Be careful what you wish for.
If the United States became as wealthy as Europe...it wouldn't be a tragedy.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I trust you feel the same way about PPP loan forgiveness, right?