• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

7 players stand out of gay pride game

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I agree with @Wildswanderer in this case. I'm all for gay rights, but I don't think the employees of a politically neutral organization should be required to promote ideas that go against their conscience. This is analogous to what gay people have had to endure from heteronormative culture since forever. Flipping the injustice back on homophobes isn't the way to do it.
It was the official uniform of the day. But I guess they could honor the tradition of the Greeks in the first Olympics.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That's ignorant.
Ironic.

You don't believe players should have freedom of expression?
They have freedom of expression.

I guess you would be ok with them all being forced to wear white pride affirming shirts if one of the members was a skinhead too?
No, if your contrived hypothetical ever happened, I would expect any player with a functioning moral sense to quit the team.

You seem to be operating under the mistaken assumption that bigots are entitled to be professional athletes.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
When one is on the job the expression of certain rights have to be postponed. One is always free to quit.

If you sign up for a job where you have to work on the Sabbath would the boss be right in firing you when you suddenly refused to do so? You knew going in what the requirements were. When you are at work wearing the official uniform, and even if it was just the uniform for a day it was still the official uniform, is part of one's job.

Freedom of expression is done when one is not working.
And I'll just add that when that uniform includes both a rainbow stripe AND a large logo for a gambling website, and Christian players freak out about the rainbow stripe but not the gambling logo, those Christians are hypocrites.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And I'll just add that when that uniform includes both a rainbow stripe AND a large logo for a gambling website, and Christian players freak out about the rainbow stripe but not the gambling logo, those Christians are hypocrites.
And I did not even realize that both were on the same jersey. Of course even the rainbow strip is not a "gay stripe". It is an inclusive stripe that includes heterosexual people too..

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
And I did not even realize that both were on the same jersey. Of course even the rainbow strip is not a "gay stripe". It is an inclusive stripe that includes heterosexual people too..
Here's the photo from the first link in the OP.

listing.jpeg

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
You really don't believe in freedom of expression? Seriously?
I believe in wholeheartedly in freedom of expression.
But you know over the years I’ve worn what my employers have decreed. Because I’m not a giant baby about it. Geez it’s a freaking uniform told to employees. Not the end of the world. What a bunch of whiny little babies these guys are. Failing to comply with the standards set by their employers which they wilfully signed up to adhere to of their own violation
What a bunch of whiny little pansies. Pfft

Not sure what that has to do with a woman choosing to elect what to do with her specific pregnancy, a medical phenomenon that only happens to her, has to do with anything.
Does the fetus posess some kind of special right that the rest of the civilised world does not recognise or something?

Last edited:

HonestJoe

I work in a hospital setting, and we try to be inclusive. We also are affiliated with a Christian denomination. We operate under equal opportunity laws, so we hire everyone not only Christians, however in training we are all asked to represent Christ. So even the non Christians are tasked with acting like Christians.
Which Christians though? Plenty of Christians support LGBT rights. Plenty of Christians are LGBT themselves. Organisations like this don't mean "Act like Christians", they mean "Do whatever we say without question".

First thought that would cross my mind would be "I'm not gay. This shirt does not represent me."
This kind of thing obviously isn't about identifying everyone as gay though, it's about supporting the principle of equal rights and treatment. Wearing the shirt doesn't say "I'm gay" any more than working in your hospital says "I'm Christian".

People are always going to make assumptions about your sexual orientation (and all sorts of other things), often on the basis of flawed or irrelevant factors. Part of the point of Pride is that shouldn't really matter though, any more than assumptions made about any other personal characteristics. If you feel assuming someone is gay is so much more of an issue than assuming someone is straight, maybe you should be asking why?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
When I competed in sports… I went out there to be the best athlete I could be, to transform my body into a machine and to take it to the next level, to make all my training worth it and to put myself to the test, to take pride in it and make those close to me proud, to experience the thrill and the exhilaration over and over again, to prove I was better then my competition, and to help my team achieve victory in whatever way I could.

I did not go out there to make political statements, or to care about inclusivity (I don’t). Sports are not inclusive. You either prove yourself to compete, or you don’t.

There were some teammates who I really did not like… but at the same time I respected them, because I valued their contribution as an asset in our group. Your skin color doesn’t matter. Your sexuality is irrelevant. You can be a horrible person or a saint. So what. You either prove yourself in your sport or you don’t, and if you do you will be valued, no matter how people feel about you.

Personally, I would not have taken part in the rainbow theatrics either. I’m there to focus on competing and to be honest I’m not interested in hand holding and pretending like we are something we are not.
Exactly. Your there for the game, not the politics.

HonestJoe

That doesn't matter to the issue. No one should be forced to support a cause they don't believe in.
I think you missed the point. Players are required to do all of those things, wearing shirts sponsored by gambling or alcohol companies and routinely playing on Sundays (or Saturdays for Jewish players). This isn't a general complaint about players being forced to support causes they don't believe in, it is a complaint from people who object to anyone supporting this specific cause.

RestlessSoul

Manly is a city in Australia, not a statement on masculinity

No surprise it's in Australia though.

Australian masculinity might have changed over the last 40 years or so. The Aussie's I used to work with on building sites in London in the 1980s were a great bunch, but not all that socially progressive. And I don't think many of them went to church on Sunday, unless 'church' was a euphemism for the pub.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
When one is on the job the expression of certain rights have to be postponed. One is always free to quit.

If you sign up for a job where you have to work on the Sabbath would the boss be right in firing you when you suddenly refused to do so? You knew going in what the requirements were. When you are at work wearing the official uniform, and even if it was just the uniform for a day it was still the official uniform, is part of one's job.

Freedom of expression is done when one is not working.
Again, totally ignorant and wrong. Your religion doesn't get checked at the door of your place of employment. I guess you don't believe in human rights?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Ironic.

They have freedom of expression.

No, if your contrived hypothetical ever happened, I would expect any player with a functioning moral sense to quit the team.

You seem to be operating under the mistaken assumption that bigots are entitled to be professional athletes.
You agree with forcing players to support something that they oppose on religious grounds. That's just ignorant and unlawful in any Free society.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I believe in wholeheartedly in freedom of expression.
But you know over the years I’ve worn what my employers have decreed. Because I’m not a giant baby about it. Geez it’s a freaking uniform told to employees. Not the end of the world. What a bunch of whiny little babies these guys are. Failing to comply with the standards set by their employers which they wilfully signed up to adhere to of their own violation
What a bunch of whiny little pansies. Pfft

Not sure what that has to do with a woman choosing to elect what to do with her specific pregnancy, a medical phenomenon that only happens to her, has to do with anything.
Does the fetus posess some kind of special right that the rest of the civilised world does not recognise or something?
I also don't know why you just brought abortion into this thread?
And wearing a uniform supporting your workplace isn't the same as being made to support something your religion opposes.
Get real.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
No surprise it's in Australia though.

Australian masculinity might have changed over the last 40 years or so. The Aussie's I used to work with on building sites in London in the 1980s were a great bunch, but not all that socially progressive. And I don't think many of them went to church on Sunday, unless 'church' was a euphemism for the pub.

Depends where you are in Australia, in my experience. Rugby League has a working class history (as do I, but it does lead to generally less socially progressive views).

Still...it has a large Pacific Island playing group within it, and it's largely that group involved here, fwiw.
Much higher rates of religiousness than the generally more secular Australian population.