• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

7 players stand out of gay pride game

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Do you think a person should be forced to get a vaccination?
Or indeed that a child should be forced to give birth? (The recent case of the 10 old child who would have been forced by law to give birth after she was raped?)
Or does that not matter in the long run?
Merely curious since that appears to be the red topic button right now is all

“By the fruits ye shall know them” indeed.
Consistency my friend ;)
You really don't believe in freedom of expression? Seriously?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Forgive the ignorance of this Canadian, but I'd expect that a team named the Manly Sea Eagles would be pretty gay to begin with.

I mean, it's a team name that would be right at home in my friend's gay dodgeball league.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Literally laughed out loud at this, and it's pretty much on the money.
FWIW, Manly is a quite nice beachside suburb on the northern side of Sydney. Hence 'Sea Eagles'.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Literally laughed out loud at this, and it's pretty much on the money.
FWIW, Manly is a quite nice beachside suburb on the northern side of Sydney. Hence 'Sea Eagles'.
Glad I'm not the only one who laughed at that. It also got me thinking Family Guy needs to do a musical number about them.:tearsofjoy:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Which part of the name? Manly is the name of the suburb where they originated and Sea Eagles are Australia's 2nd largest bird of prey.
Oh, I realize that the team name origins have nothing to do with homoeroticism, but it sure does sound like an allusion to homoeroticism.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The 2nd link doesn't say anything about Ian Roberts though it is titled "Ian Roberts speaks out...."

It's kinda strangely divided, but at the bottom...

Sea Eagles legend Ian Roberts, who was the first rugby league player to come out as gay, was devastated.

"It's sad and uncomfortable. As an older gay man, this isn't unfamiliar. I did wonder whether there would be any religious pushback. That's why I think the NRL have never had a Pride round," Roberts said to The Daily Telegraph.

"I can promise you every young kid on the northern beaches who is dealing with their sexuality would have heard about this."

I work in a hospital setting, and we try to be inclusive. We also are affiliated with a Christian denomination. We operate under equal opportunity laws, so we hire everyone not only Christians, however in training we are all asked to represent Christ. So even the non Christians are tasked with acting like Christians. That doesn't mean they have to pray or anything. This creates a diverse environment with an interesting flavor -- perhaps awkward. It is a tiny bit like your t-shirt situation. Not everybody here wants to identify as Christian, yet we all work at a Christian affiliated hospital. Its not really a personal sexual statement though, either.

I've got Christian religious organisations as clients (variety of denominations), so I have some experience with this. If I'm told to 'represent Christ' it would be fine, depending on what was meant by 'representing Christ'. Showing general respect for the religion, or doing things like making sure I don't swear, or dressing to a certain standard is fine, imho.

Now I imagine what would happen were we all asked to wear gay pride t-shirts. (This would probably not happen by the way, but it could happen. They do occasionally order us to wear various garments with slogans.) First thought that would cross my mind would be "I'm not gay. This shirt does not represent me." I would feel like wearing it made people think I was gay and that I wanted people to pay attention to the sexual side of my life, like an invitation to talk about sex with me. In real life I want no one to ask questions about my sex life. I want no conversations about that. I might wear the shirt just that day at work but would not wear it outside and would change immediately after work. I don't like drawing attention to myself, particularly not if its of a sexual nature.

The majority of players aren't gay, and no-one would be reading the jersey as being a personal statement about their sexuality though. I'm not sure how common this is in America, but sports here commonly have an indigenous round, which celebrates the role of indigenous players in the game, and a women's round of some type. In neither case is the person wearing the jersey making a personal statement, but the organisation they play for is making a statement of acknowledgement.

Beyond that I have no insights into this sports club incident. I think its just kind of funny what happened and that there's no real harm since nobody has been forced to represent anything they didn't feel comfortable with. I guess its just how things are when you're in a group with individualism. The alternative is no individualism and groupthink instead, which is possible, too. People do live that way. The occasional faux pas seems like a small price to pay.

Sports teams are not exactly bastions of individualism. And the players sitting out are really choosing which groupthink they want to conform to, I think.
But, as someone mentioned before, for whatever reason it's homosexuality that is the hot button issue...not the variety of other things they have been associated with that also run contrary to Christian teachings. I'd have to ask why. And I think it is harmful.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Good for them for standing by their convictions. Does anyone really think people should be forced to wear gay pride apparel?
They aren't forced. They're completely free to find other employment. I'm sure that a top-tier football team would have no shortage of talented players happy to replace them and wear the jersey.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
They aren't forced. They're completely free to find other employment. I'm sure that a top-tier football team would have no shortage of talented players happy to replace them and wear the jersey.
That's ignorant. You don't believe players should have freedom of expression? I guess you would be ok with them all being forced to wear white pride affirming shirts if one of the members was a skinhead too?

AlexanderG

I agree with @Wildswanderer in this case. I'm all for gay rights, but I don't think the employees of a politically neutral organization should be required to promote ideas that go against their conscience. This is analogous to what gay people have had to endure from heteronormative culture since forever. Flipping the civic injustice back on homophobes isn't the way to advance this cause.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That's ignorant. You don't believe players should have freedom of expression? I guess you would be ok with them all being forced to wear white pride affirming shirts if one of the members was a skinhead too?
When one is on the job the expression of certain rights have to be postponed. One is always free to quit.

If you sign up for a job where you have to work on the Sabbath would the boss be right in firing you when you suddenly refused to do so? You knew going in what the requirements were. When you are at work wearing the official uniform, and even if it was just the uniform for a day it was still the official uniform, is part of one's job.

Freedom of expression is done when one is not working.