• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

25-Year-Old Woman Stoned to Death in Broad Daylight in Pakistan

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have no words for these scumbags. Her own family stoned her with bricks... her FATHER and brothers! What on earth has this world come to?

PHOTO: Pakistani woman stoned to death because she married the man she loved

:facepalm: :(
According to the article, 869 women were killed like this in Pakistan in 2013.

Makes me think that love is something that is mostly taught rather than innate. When I look around at my family and friends and neighbors, it seems impossible that any mentally healthy human could do something like this. Killing one's own children is something that a psychopath is occasionally in the news for, but other than that, it seems unfathomable that this could happen.

But a culture can be so different that people regularly get killed by their own families. It's on the order of 869 (recorded) women per year, and for this one alone, 20 family members took part. It's like an entirely different parent/child or sibling/sibling relationship; something totally foreign to anything I have experienced or seen in person. Culture seems to be a lot stronger than love, if what culture a person grows up in can influence them to the point of bashing their daughter's head in with a brick with nearly two dozen other family members.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Makes me think that love is something that is mostly taught rather than innate. When I look around at my family and friends and neighbors, it seems impossible that any mentally healthy human could do something like this. Killing one's own children is something that a psychopath is occasionally in the news for, but other than that, it seems unfathomable that this could happen.

But a culture can be so different that people regularly get killed by their own families. It's on the order of 869 (recorded) women per year, and for this one alone, 20 family members took part. It's like an entirely different parent/child or sibling/sibling relationship; something totally foreign to anything I have experienced or seen in person. Culture seems to be a lot stronger than love, if what culture a person grows up in can influence them to the point of bashing their daughter's head in with a brick with nearly two dozen other family members.

Yes I read that too, and it's sickening.

I think what was so shocking about this case is that it was done in a highly populated city, rather than the more common (but equally sick) location of a remote village. Lahore's border has spread monumentally over the last few decades, making what were once remote villages now part of the metropolis. Unfortunately, becoming "urban" hasn't changed their mentality of "honor".

As far as the culture's view of love, like Revoltingest said, I can't even wrap my mind around their mindset. Being a mom, I cannot imagine inflicting any sort of pain on any of my children; I practically cry more than they do when they're infants getting shots. :eek:

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
This happened in Lahore ?!

In broad daylight ?!

I thought it happened in a rural
area of either the NWFP or in the
villages of the Pak. Panjab.

... but in Lahore ?!

And no one tried to stop it ?!

Very, very surprised (and distressed).

Kya horahaa hai uddhar ?​

Jeremy Mason

What compels people to do these things? What callus-hearted people can jeer and/or watch while one of their own gets maimed to death at the front of the court-house?

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This happened in Lahore ?!

In broad daylight ?!

I thought it happened in a rural
area of either the NWFP or in the
villages of the Pak. Panjab.

... but in Lahore ?!

And no one tried to stop it ?!

Very, very surprised (and distressed).

Kya horahaa hai uddhar ?​

Patha nahi... pagal log. :( I can't believe people stood by and watched it either, they are just as guilty.

What compels people to do these things? What callus-hearted people can jeer and/or watch while one of their own gets maimed to death at the front of the court-house?

Good questions.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I wonder where Hamza Tzortzis is because after a tragedy like this his comedic lying could give me a giggle. Religion has done nothing to thwart cultural values like what the Pakistanis have and it will never do so. There is nothing honorable in what the father did to his own daughter and as to how he confesses with such pride alludes me since I am used to behaving like a human being and not like a dog.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I wonder where Hamza Tzortzis is because after a tragedy like this his comedic lying could give me a giggle. Religion has done nothing to thwart cultural values like what the Pakistanis have and it will never do so. There is nothing honorable in what the father did to his own daughter and as to how he confesses with such pride alludes me since I am used to behaving like a human being and not like a dog.

Religion has nothing to do with those awful acts,they are criminals and religion is innocent of them.

New father killed his five-week-old son by slamming his face into cot because he felt fatherhood meant 'his life was over' - then lied and made the baby's mother a suspect

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Religion has nothing to do with those awful acts,they are criminals and religion is innocent of them.

New father killed his five-week-old son by slamming his face into cot because he felt fatherhood meant 'his life was over' - then lied and made the baby's mother a suspect

That doesn't happen 869 times per year and doesn't involve 20 members of the family taking part.

There's a difference between psychotic individuals compared to a large cultural problem that influences sadistic behavior.

CynthiaCypher

She was a woman who lived in a culture that believes that women have no right to self-determination. Her willfulness to make her own decisions was an affront to that culture. So they killed her.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Why do a lot of "moderate" Muslims seem to focus on pointing out atrocities committed in other cultures instead of directly addressing practices that are prevalent in a lot of Muslim cultures?

Stoning is not merely a cultural phenomenon that arose or continued to be practiced out of the blue without any relation to Islam; many Muslims believe that stoning is an Islamic punishment. The two main hadith books (which are considered authentic by the majority of Islamic scholars), Sahih Bukhari and Sahih Muslim, also contain hadiths that explicitly prescribe stoning and ones that directly attribute instances of ordering the punishment to Muhammad.

If you ignore the hadiths that are considered authentic by most Islamic scholars and say that stoning is not Islamic, that certainly doesn't mean the religion doesn't contain ammo for those who see such punishment as a divine mandate. There is support for stoning in more than one place in Islamic texts (like the hadith books I mentioned above), and claiming otherwise indicates either lack of knowledge of what the majority of Islamic scholars state or lack of knowledge of Islamic texts themselves.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism

Seems more like the Mafia than an actual family.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Why do a lot of "moderate" Muslims seem to focus on pointing out atrocities committed in other cultures instead of directly addressing practices that are prevalent in a lot of Muslim cultures?

Stoning is not merely a cultural phenomenon that arose or continued to be practiced out of the blue without any relation to Islam; many Muslims believe that stoning is an Islamic punishment. The two main hadith books (which are considered authentic by the majority of Islamic scholars), Sahih Bukhari and Sahih Muslim, also contain hadiths that explicitly prescribe stoning and ones that directly attribute instances of ordering the punishment to Muhammad.

If you ignore the hadiths that are considered authentic by most Islamic scholars and say that stoning is not Islamic, that certainly doesn't mean the religion doesn't contain ammo for those who see such punishment as a divine mandate. There is support for stoning in more than one place in Islamic texts (like the hadith books I mentioned above), and claiming otherwise indicates either lack of knowledge of what the majority of Islamic scholars state or lack of knowledge of Islamic texts themselves.

And what is the relation between family honor and religion.

This crime was made due to honor , show me one verse from the whole quran says kill your girl for honor or to stone her.

Stoning is barbaric and it is man made and it is even an evil one.

Tell me how many cases of honor killing that occurred in Spain during the Islamic empire where even the sharia laws where applied.

IOW, was honor killing known in Spain during the Islamic empire.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
And what is the relation between family honor and religion.

This crime was made due to honor , show me one verse from the whole quran says kill your girl for honor or to stone her.

Stoning is barbaric and it is man made and it is even an evil one.

Tell me how many cases of honor killing that occurred in Spain during the Islamic empire where even the sharia laws where applied.

IOW, was honor killing known in Spain during the Islamic empire.

I'm glad you denounce stoning. However, what do you think about the links I posted to hadiths prescribing it as a punishment for adultery—bearing in mind that those hadiths are considered by the majority of Islamic scholars to be authentic?

I really wish your view that stoning should be rejected and denounced were more common, but many Muslims do support stoning for adultery. I don't think one can consider that fact without discussing whether or not the religion contains support for stoning.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I'm glad you denounce stoning. However, what do you think about the links I posted to hadiths prescribing it as a punishment for adultery—bearing in mind that those hadiths are considered by the majority of Islamic scholars to be authentic?

I really wish your view that stoning should be rejected and denounced were more common, but many Muslims do support stoning for adultery. I don't think one can consider that fact without discussing whether or not the religion contains support for stoning.

The punishment for adultery as mentioned in the quran is slashing and not stoning to death.

The verse in the quran proves that some hadith which thought to be authentic is 100% false simply because it contradicts the quran.