• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

16 year old girl commits suiccide over forced marriage with her rapist

Marble

Rolling Marble
And it seems the idea that the girl should be married with her violator came from the prosecutor.
Filali's father said that when he reported the rape of his daughter, he was advised of the option to marry by court officials.

"The prosecutor advised my daughter to marry. He said: 'Go and make the marriage contract'," Lahcen Filali told the online news website goud.ma.
Moroccans call for end to rape-marriage laws - Africa - Al Jazeera English

Last edited:

gnomon

It's encouraging to see women in Morocco standing up and demanding rights for themselves over tradition and culture. It appears Article 475 of their penal code, which allows a judge to pass this judgment against a rapist, is increasingly disfavored by the community at large.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Disgusting. There is no way any culture or religion can rationalize this barbaric behavior.

Why is this under Religious News though?

A) there is nothing religious about this
B) is there a religion that sanctions marriage of a victim to the rapist? I sure don't know of one.

Sounds like twisted cultural nonsense to me.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
What is with family members who disown the rape victim? Honestly, how can some cultures produce such idiots and such monsters?

Last edited:

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What is with family members who disown the rape victim? Honestly, how can some cultures produce such idiots?

I'd like to know the answers to both of these questions as well. Where did this idea ever come from?

from the article:

article said:
Witnesses say her husband became so outraged when she drank the poison he dragged her down the street by her hair, and she died shortly afterward.

Unbelievable. No, wait...he's a rapist, nevermind. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Really i don't know what to say about such a horrifying story. Its just sad in every possible way. A life ruined and wasted so needlessly on account of disgusting ideas such as "honor" supposedly being tainted by your daughter being raped.

And yet somehow "honor" didn't apply when she told them that her very rapist that she's forced to live with is beating her up.

fulp

B) is there a religion that sanctions marriage of a victim to the rapist? I sure don't know of one.

If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days.

-- Deuteronomy 22:28-29

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Disgusting. There is no way any culture or religion can rationalize this barbaric behavior.

Sounds like twisted cultural nonsense to me.

But there are scriptural references that say a rapist should marry the person raped. I assume these laws stem from those references.

Marble

Rolling Marble

If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days.

-- Deuteronomy 22:28-29
I think this law came into Islam from Judaism and was never abolished.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Another translation of that verse is:

"If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay her father fifty shekels[a] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives."

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Another translation of that verse is:

"If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay her father fifty shekels[a] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives."

Most countries, including moderen state of Israel, do not follow laws of Ancient Israel.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I beg to differ with those who think marrying one's rapist is in Islam. In fact, rapists are executed in Shariah law, so that would make it pretty darn hard to have her marry him:

Does Islam require four witnesses for rape?

Also from the Qur'an, Surah 4:19:

O you who have believed, it is not lawful for you to inherit women by compulsion. And do not make difficulties for them in order to take [back] part of what you gave them unless they commit a clear immorality. And live with them in kindness. For if you dislike them - perhaps you dislike a thing and Allah makes therein much good.

I will repeat: IF this family is Muslim, this barbaric act is based on CULTURE, not religion.

...and it's disgusting.