• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

14,800 differences between old and new bible?

Farrukh

is it true that there are about 14,800 differences between oldest know Sinai Bible and today's Bible? if that is true, can we still call it words of God?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
What do you mean by "today's Bible". There are an unknown number of different Bibles and editions. and most of them are translated into many different languages.

There might be many millions of minor differences between them.
What is important is the meaning and message they portray not the differences between the words used.

The words were never spoken or dictated by God so are not his words... however the message and lessons they contain are inspired by God.

seeking4truth

The problem is translation. Words change meaning and new translations convey new meaning.
Many recent translations of the Bible have access to the most recently discovered ancient documents but do the words mean the same today as they did then.

eg. What did 'Son of God' mean to Jesus? Can we really know? Even in our lifetime words change meanings. eg.gay

I wonder, do the words of the Holy Quran today mean the same as they did 1400 years ago?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
no, I'm using Quran. :)

What are you using the Quran for?
Do you read it in the original language? do you even understand the meaning of the words in the same way as they did 1400 years ago?
Do you understand it in the context of 1400 years ago or in the context of today? who interprets these meanings for you? how do you know that their interpretations are correct?

InvestigateTruth

There are what 43 sects in islam.

So 42 are wrong?

Which one right?

73, not 43!

The Prophet (PBUH) said: "The Jews were split up into seventy-one or seventy-two sects; and the Christians were split up into seventy one or seventy-two sects; and my community will be split up into seventy-three sects."
- Kitabul Sunna , Sunan Abu-Dawud (partial collection)[Book 40, Number 4579]

"My people will be divided into 73 sects ... Everyone will go to hell, except one ... the religion which is professed by me and my companions."
(Mishkat Vol. I Chapter 6:2)

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
The simple fact that someone was able to count the differences without detailing them says something. What are the differences, and how are they meaningful?

outhouse

Atheistically
What are the differences, and how are they meaningful?

Spelling.

Grammar

Interpretation from original language.

It can change meaning in some verse quite a bit.

You also have different geographic locations and sects that use more books deemed orthodox then say western cultures.

Its never been about the books anyway, it has always been about the people. Different groups of people can read into the same book differently, so small changes from one book to another changes little.

More often you get larger perversions of text with literal interpretations then any written wording.

Farrukh

many people quote that hadith about 73 sects, they mostly misinterpret it for supporting their belief, it is not ordering Muslims to divide in sects, division is haram and prohibited in Islam. I read a hadith in a book mentioning signs of end days, and it was written in it that end of time will not come until people will start unlawful sexual intercourse publicly. it is for sure not ordering us to go and start such sin in public, but it is mentioning something very bad that will become common.

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me
many people quote that hadith about 73 sects, they mostly misinterpret it for supporting their belief, it is not ordering Muslims to divide in sects, division is haram and prohibited in Islam. I read a hadith in a book mentioning signs of end days, and it was written in it that end of time will not come until people will start unlawful sexual intercourse publicly. it is for sure not ordering us to go and start such sin in public, but it is mentioning something very bad that will become common.

I believe Hadiths are not the word of God and therefore not dependable. It only goes without saying that a prediction of 73 sects would probably turn out to be a false prophecy.

This is probably a rule made by men and not by God.

outhouse

Atheistically
is it true that there are about 14,800 differences between oldest know Sinai Bible and today's Bible? if that is true, can we still call it words of God?

There are more then that.

How can we take the koran as a word of god when most people thing it is just a man in a cave who copied the bible and translated it into another language perverting it for his own personal and cultural needs.??

Answer that.