• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

100% Scientific Proof God Doesn't Exist

freethinker44

But that implies all theists use this sort of argument, which not all do. Just a recent influx of encounters with them on RF has prompted this thread. It's tedious to destroy all of their points, only for them to say God doesn't require proof, only faith while at the same time, claiming it as fact.

There are theists who claim they don't know for sure and that's a much more reasonable alternative than claiming knowledge of something that cannot be known. Just as there are atheists who claim they know for sure God doesn't exist, which is just as unreasonable. It's unreasonable to claim something you cannot know.

I think all theists must use some form of this argument. I have debated many, and always, ALWAYS, when their argument fails they fall back on faith as the only proof necessary. I use a lot of logic arguments so what I get all the time is "god is beyond understanding" or something like that which is really a different way of saying "you can only understand with faith". But I have yet to debate a theist who doesn't fall back on faith, everyone from deists to fundamentalist christians, ultimately the only argument they have is faith, all the rest is just rationalizing.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
I think all theists must use some form of this argument. I have debated many, and always, ALWAYS, when their argument fails they fall back on faith as the only proof necessary. I use a lot of logic arguments so what I get all the time is "god is beyond understanding" or something like that which is really a different way of saying "you can only understand with faith". But I have yet to debate a theist who doesn't fall back on faith, everyone from deists to fundamentalist christians, ultimately the only argument they have is faith, all the rest is just rationalizing.

I agree, but surely you recognize those who claim that God is fact because of their faith are different from those who have faith and claim they don't know for sure.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
I get what you're saying, but I still maintain that even those who claim faith as the basis for their beliefs while at the same time admitting they don't know are a lot more reasonable and easier to have an intelligent conversation with than someone who claims to know and also claims their faith needs no proof. Those people have already shut their minds to all evidence, whereas you might convince a theist with faith who doesn't claim to know for sure that you have a few good points to bring to the table. I don't mind speaking with those people at all.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
How did this turn into a thread about Thief? :)

I originally missed this post. It's not just Thief. There are a few others and it was just getting tedious. I've talked to people (and not necessarily on RF) who claim evolution is a "lie" and when I ask them why, they come up with a non-argument that demonstrates their gross misunderstanding of evolution. Then I have to explain it to them. And after I do, they maintain it is still a lie with more non-arguments.

They'll reject evidence for no reason, they'll ignore evidence, they'll ignore the implications of their claims. And when you chisel down what they have to say into what it basically is, it becomes "I have faith and you can't prove me wrong!" These are close-minded people.

It doesn't just have to do with evolution. That was merely one example.

Morse

To Extinguish
I know that you were referring to a group of people, but I had just read a post from thief about Mathematicians so he was on my mind.

;)

Morse

To Extinguish
I'd have to say one of the only hardcore theists I've seen that has presented a modicum of anything is ManTimeForgot. By hardcore theists I mean the people who always pop up in debates arguing that evolution is false or something similar.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
I'd have to say one of the only hardcore theists I've seen that has presented a modicum of anything is ManTimeForgot. By hardcore theists I mean the people who always pop up in debates arguing that evolution is false or something similar.

MTF doesn't believe in evolution? I haven't talked to him much, so I don't know.

It seems to be a bit of a conundrum that an athiest, who denies the existence of God, believes in Satan.
This makes no sence to me

ellenjanuary

Dawkins ain't got nuffink on my Gwynnies.:p

What is beyond my understanding is how any modern male can worship a male god. :confused: