• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“Youngstown, Ohio, teaches intelligent-design creationism as fact”.

Brian Schuh

Actually it was common knowledge during Columbus' day that the Earth is round, and various cultures around the world at various time, even before Christianity, knew the Earth was round.
But what it is also a truth about the situation is the that Christianity did indeed through a chunk of its history support and enforce the idea of a flat Earth, with the sun revolving around the Earth, and they got this from their interpretation of the Bible.
A misinterpretation of the Bible, for one of the prophets clearly said Earth is a sphere. Knock Christianity all you want, I'll knock it with you. I am not Christian.

Brian Schuh

Columbus knew of sailors who had sailed west to Greenland and, going by some descriptions, saw land even further west. It's pretty much an established fact now that the Vikings did make it over to eastern Canada, and part of the proof of that is genetic, namely a number of blond-haired blue-eyed Inuit along the coastal areas in eastern Canada seen by the early French and
English explorers.
Ancient myths, whether true or false, claimed King Solomon cut down trees of Lebanon to make ships for the Phonecians in exchange that they would sail around the Earth, which allegedly they did. And no this isn't from Mormonism.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
After the Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District case I pretty much figured stuff like this would be dead in the water. What the heck is going on with our public education system?
Could not parents sue the school district/city over subverting their children's education?

My guess is that this "course" would not withstand a legal challenge.

Brian Schuh

I am glad that many of y'all acknowledge that the Founding Fathers were mostly deist instead of Christian. Deism is like a "state religion" if we have such a thing, which we don't, which justifies putting "In God we trust" on dollar bills and leaders saying "God bless America." This God they speak of is the Deist God. Also George Bush Jr. declared the Seven Laws of Noah to be the foundation of our civilization, and created Education Day to celebrate that.

I am not opposed to Intelligent Design in school, but I am opposed to Christianity in school. America's civil "religion" is deism, not Christianity.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Ancient myths, whether true or false, claimed King Solomon cut down trees of Lebanon to make ships for the Phonecians in exchange that they would sail around the Earth, which allegedly they did. And no this isn't from Mormonism.
I was familiar with all but the "sail around the Earth" part, so do you by chance have a link whereas I can read about this?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A misinterpretation of the Bible, for one of the prophets clearly said Earth is a sphere. Knock Christianity all you want, I'll knock it with you. I am not Christian.
Except, indeed, it was interpreted that the Earth was flat and the sun revolved around the Earth. That was the "official" interpretation of centuries long gone. It's the "official" interpretation today that the Bible doesn't claim that.