• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“Thinking is difficult, that’s why most people judge.”

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
“Thinking is difficult, that’s why most people judge.” -- Carl Jung

What do you make of Jung's remark? Do you agree or disagree with it?

BONUS QUESTION: Have you read, Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman? If so, what do you make of it?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
My considered judgment is that Jung was strange and Kahneman is brilliant!

[I've actually read quite a bit of Jung, and Kahneman as well.]

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

BONUS QUESTION: Have you read, Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman? If so, what do you make of it?
Judgment is faster, and often what matters is agreeing with people around you. You can think all you like, but you can't think for other people.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Jung seems to suggest that one is dependent on the absence of the other. I disagree.

The Holy Bottom Burp

Haven't read Jung or Kahnerman, so I guess I don't get the bonus points! If I'm reading it correctly he is saying intuition/prejudice/following cultural norms is easier than thinking more 'objectively'? Seeing the "bigger picture" yes? If so, I'd agree, looking at the man or woman who appears to be "different" without making instant judgements takes more thought, more tolerance, more understanding of humanity and human history than just sticking them in a pigeon hole as a .............(insert racial/sexual/social stereotype of your choice here).

First of all, we judge simply because we don't have the time to think actively regarding the thousands of things that we experience every day, most of which have little importance.

We also judge at times because we don't need to think as we have experienced the situation countless times before. So as well as being difficult, thinking can also be unnecessary.

On more significant issues that we are emotionally invested in, our brain 'alters reality' to protect us from being 'wrong'. Was reading something earlier (can't remember where), that showed some people actually lost the ability to read graphs that contradicted their beliefs (they were able to accurately interpret an identical graph on a neutral issue).

Thinking is difficult because our cognition evolved to be irrational, biased, self-deceiving and hypocritical. We cannot cure ourselves of this, although some people are better at mitigating the problems than others.

Excellent book, especially in the sense that it shows how being irrational is actually 'rational' from an evolutionary perspective.

Why everybody (else) is a hypocrite: evolution and the modular mind by Robert Kurzban is another interesting book.