• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

תנך רם :: One of the Newer Translations of Hebrew Scripture

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Tanakh Ram has actually been around for a few years. I became aware of it when I recently happened upon ...

Translating The Hebrew Bible From Hebrew into Hebrew
by Naphtali S. Meshel; Hebrew Studies, Vol. 57 (2016), pp. 39-50​

Meshel notes:

The published volumes of this highly controversial project have been subject to fierce criticism from both academic and popular circles. The Ministry of Education has formally banned use of the translation in the Israeli education system (paradoxically, an excellent way of promoting a book).​

I thought to note its existence here simply because its very existence serves to highlight the challenges of translating Biblical Hebrew.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Tanakh Ram has actually been around for a few years. I became aware of it when I recently happened upon ...

Translating The Hebrew Bible From Hebrew into Hebrew
by Naphtali S. Meshel; Hebrew Studies, Vol. 57 (2016), pp. 39-50​

Meshel notes:

The published volumes of this highly controversial project have been subject to fierce criticism from both academic and popular circles. The Ministry of Education has formally banned use of the translation in the Israeli education system (paradoxically, an excellent way of promoting a book).​

I thought to note its existence here simply because its very existence serves to highlight the challenges of translating Biblical Hebrew.
I know of the translation although I've never actually seen a copy of it.

In a similar vein, I recall seeing, and browsing through, a modern translation of Hamlet with Shakespeare's text on one page and the modern translation on the page opposite.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
What did the authorities object to? Fast searching did not turn up much about the controversy or even examples of the "translation"?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
What did the authorities object to? Fast searching did not turn up much about the controversy or even examples of the "translation"?
Says on Hebrew Wikipedia that the controversy stemmed from:
1. Claims that the translation was inaccurate.
2. Prevents students from fully getting to know their language (Hebrew/Old Hebrew) and cultural heritage.
3. Causes laziness of thought and ignorance.