• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ásatrú for beginners.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Hi, everyone. Could you share some good information for beginners on the Germanic Path? Like, how to develop relationships with the Gods and Goddesses, the land spirits and the ancestors? What offerings do they all like? How do you develop a good relationship with the house spirit? I'd like some info on those sort of things. One of the issues with polytheistic religions is that it can seem overwhelming to a new practitioner, especially one low on resources.

Thanks, guys.

Straw Dog

I don't know about Asatru, but I do listen to the Gods. Just go out into the wilderness and listen to the primal forces. Let them break down the barriers of communication.

Brinne

I don't know about Asatru, but I do listen to the Gods. Just go out into the wilderness and listen to the primal forces. Let them break down the barriers of communication.
:yes: I can very much agree with this. The Gods and Goddesses (from my experience) are not some far away being thousands of light years away that just watch you from above, no they're much closer than you think and sometimes speak to us in ways we often over look. Sometimes they even may speak through your own voice in your head.

Good luck :)

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I think asatru is pretty hidden within the pagan world if I remember rightly. You might be able to find some books, ebooks or podcasts that talk about asatru. Always be critical with resources, some are full of dung.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
All good advice thus far.

I cannot stress enough the importance to actually get into (what we erroneously call, I'm finding) nature, and really experiencing these things firsthand. I don't mean a city park, either. If you live near a National Park, go there. Any sort of woodland will do. Campgrounds are great.

I have not done that enough, so my relationship with Gods and Elves isn't as great as it could be.

And honestly, when it comes to literature, a lot of our traditional folk songs and fairy tales contain faint echoes of the Old Way. Don't shy away from them, even if there's a Christian paintjob.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Thanks for the advice. I think I can sum it up as "the Gods are meant to be experienced, not sat down and thought about".

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Thanks for the advice. I think I can sum it up as "the Gods are meant to be experienced, not sat down and thought about".

Pretty much.

You can sit down and think about them. Doing so will help provide context for the experience. But the experience is the goal.

Ever see Enter the Dragon? Bruce Lee's saying applies beautifully here: "Don't think! Feel. It is like a finger, pointing away to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Pretty much.

You can sit down and think about them. Doing so will help provide context for the experience. But the experience is the goal.

Ever see Enter the Dragon? Bruce Lee's saying applies beautifully here: "Don't think! Feel. It is like a finger, pointing away to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

I get it. Thanks, dude. :) It's like how I always think of Thor during a thunder and lightning storm. That's his power and it rattles my windows. :D

Straw Dog

It seems that both of us have been drawn to Heathenry lately for some reason. It's like there's something primal and pagan within my nature that I've been trying to ignore for years and now it's demanding to be recognized and accepted for what it is.

Straw Dog

"the Gods are meant to be experienced, not sat down and thought about".

There's a time for study and contemplation as well. It's a cultural as much as a natural experience. Learning about the Germanic/ Norse mythology is probably important. Heathen Gods, Goddesses, and heroes are most excellent and worthy of reverence as kin. Researching the basics of runeworking may also help develop greater understanding of the primal consciousness.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It seems that both of us have been drawn to Heathenry lately for some reason. It's like there's something primal and pagan within my nature that I've been trying to ignore for years and now it's demanding to be recognized and accepted for what it is.

I know how you feel. I've been flip-flopping for a few years. Logically, I can't believe in Christianity or any of the Abrahamic religions anymore, knowing what I know. So it was mostly an emotional thing as of late.

When it comes to Paganism, it was mostly Hellenism I was most drawn towards because that is the form of Paganism I'm most familiar with. But my values and approach to things actually match up more with the Germanic way. Hellenismos is very ritual heavy and there's much more a feeling of hierarchy when it comes to the Gods and humanity. They're very focused on orthopraxy and not offending the Gods. In Germanic religion, it's a bit more laid back and the Gods are more viewed as friends and relatives that are more relatable.

I think this is because of the differences in Hellenic and Northern European societies. There was more of a social hierarchy in the Hellenic world and the North tended to more democratic and communitarian, with more room for individuality. This is the impression I get, at least. I think this is one of the biggest differences between tribal religions like those of the Northern peoples and the more organized religions that developed in the Middle East and around the Mediterranean. Tribal religions tend to be more outdoorsy and shamanistic.

Also, I feel more of a connection to the lands of the North and have a lot of ancestry from Northern Europe.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
There's a time for study and contemplation as well. It's a cultural as much as a natural experience. Learning about the Germanic/ Norse mythology is probably important. Heathen Gods, Goddesses, and heroes are most excellent and worthy of reverence as kin. Researching the basics of runeworking may also help develop greater understanding of the primal consciousness.

Yes, I agree. :yes: I have a lot of books on the Lore and the Sagas on my computer, so there's tons of resources I have at hand to dig into.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I get it. Thanks, dude. :) It's like how I always think of Thor during a thunder and lightning storm. That's his power and it rattles my windows. :D

Yes, that is his power. Thor is also known for his compassion and protection of man and beast. His good-nature far outweighs his reputation as being angry and violent. He was so only when absolutely necessary. Though he did (does?) have a quick temper and a short fuse, and leads with his chin, he has to be really provoked to it. In those regards he reminds me a lot of myself. Even though I identify as Hindu, I am very much drawn to Thor as another deity in my pantheon. He shares many attributes with Indra.

Þórr vigi - "May Thor protect".

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yes, that is his power. Thor is also known for his compassion and protection of man and beast. His good-nature far outweighs his reputation as being angry and violent. He was so only when absolutely necessary. Though he did (does?) have a quick temper and a short fuse, and leads with his chin, he has to be really provoked to it. In those regards he reminds me a lot of myself. Even though I identify as Hindu, I am very much drawn to Thor as another deity in my pantheon. He shares many attributes with Indra.

Þórr vigi - "May Thor protect".

I have a short temper, too. :D Maybe he can help me with that.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
What, keep it or get rid of it? :D

Btw, I just found a new Mjolnir pendant yesterday. It is larger and thicker than the one I currently have. I have to find a proper chain or lanyard for it. I wear my current one along with my Hindu deities pendants (Hanuman, Ganesha, Krishna).

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah OK, that's good... me too. :) I need my temper, but I need to keep it on a leash. He will help with strength and power also.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Sounds good to me. :) I'll need to start lifting to be as strong as him, though. Har har.

That is very good... and to show what regular guy Red-haired Thunder is, even he wears a weightlifting belt and weightlifting gloves (really!). ;)