• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

‘VeggieTales’ stirs up a religious controversy

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
beckysoup61 said:
This is so ridiculous.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14960737/

You can say all kinds of four-letter curses, craps, oh my god's, etc., but they don't allow Bob the {freaking} Tomato to say "And remember kids God loves you" ????

My oh my.

That really bothers me. :mad:
Sorry Becky, that's the price they pay for moving to a bigger, more secular audience. If they wanted to stay within a decidedly Christian audience this would not be an issue.

You can't swear on a kids show and I doubt that you can say "Oh my God" either, so it's not a double standard. And if parents are allowing their toddlers to watch Friends and such, well they shouldn't...

Bishka

Veteran Member
lilithu said:
You can't swear on a kids show and I doubt that you can say "Oh my God" either, so it's not a double standard. And if parents are allowing their toddlers to watch Friends and such, well they shouldn't...

I've head the oh my god's - I think it was an episode of Recess actually.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
beckysoup61 said:
I've head the oh my god's - I think it was an episode of Recess actually.
Hmm... well I don't watch kids shows generally but would agree that shouldn't be allowed.

Bishka

Veteran Member
lilithu said:
Hmm... well I don't watch kids shows generally but would agree that shouldn't be allowed.

If they are going to ban other things - they need to be consistent - in my opinion, but when is Hollywood ever consistent?:D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Cradle of Filth told Epic records they weren't going to change thier style of music when Epic told them to change it. Thier new album, also produced by Epic, is set to release next month I think.
Maybe the Vegetale guy could tell NBC the same thing?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Luke Wolf said:
Cradle of Filth told Epic records they weren't going to change thier style of music when Epic told them to change it. Thier new album, also produced by Epic, is set to release next month I think.
Maybe the Vegetale guy could tell NBC the same thing?

They wouldn't air it -- it's "Christian"

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
You'ld have to be pretty ignorant to let kids watch vegietales and not know it's teaching them the bible. So in that light, I don't see why saying "God loves you" is such a big deal especialy watching a show like that at least it's possitive. Anyway I had always thought a bigger controversy of vegetables being used to tell the bible would come up way before this.

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
Can we say "storm in a teacup?"

I don't see the problem with some cartoon fruit saying "God loves you" except that it's a ridiculous thing for a cartoon tomato to say. All those awful televangelism programmes that are aired early in the morning are SO much worse. I remember when I was kid I was always up early enough on a Sunday to see those and even they didn't do me any permanent damage.

It seems such a silly little thing for either "side" to be getting their hackles up over, especially if what lamplighter says about the rest of the content of the cartoon is true.

That said, NBC is a private organisation and they can demand whatever they like of people using their network to broadcast. :shrug:

Bishka

Veteran Member
Revasser said:
Can we say "storm in a teacup?"

I don't see the problem with some cartoon fruit saying "God loves you" except that it's a ridiculous thing for a cartoon tomato to say. All those awful televangelism programmes that are aired early in the morning are SO much worse. I remember when I was kid I was always up early enough on a Sunday to see those and even they didn't do me any permanent damage.

It seems such a silly little thing for either "side" to be getting their hackles up over, especially if what lamplighter says about the rest of the content of the cartoon is true.

That said, NBC is a private organisation and they can demand whatever they like of people using their network to broadcast. :shrug:

When I first saw veggie tales, I had no clue they were singing about God and things -- and I was in 8th grade. I only saw the little cartoons and cute songs.

They sing about hamburgers, mantees, pizzas, ducks.

They don't really come out and say it except at the end. And that's all you hearl

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
beckysoup61 said:
When I first saw veggie tales, I had no clue they were singing about God and things -- and I was in 8th grade. I only saw the little cartoons and cute songs.

They sing about hamburgers, mantees, pizzas, ducks.

They don't really come out and say it except at the end. And that's all you hearl
I don't know, Becky, I've never seen it.

Personally, I couldn't care less what they show. They are a private organisation, as I said. If some parents don't want their kids seeing some cartoon fruit talking about God, they can just not let their kid watch it.

It seems a silly, little thing for the network to demand, I agree, but as a private organisation, they have every right to demand it if they see fit.

Faint

Phil Vischer ("Veggie Tales" creator) should have read his contract better. That's the first problem. NBC is a private company and can air whatever content it feels like (as long as they're in FCC compliance). If Vischer doesn't like their rules he could have shopped around more, or remained in the video market.

Just the idea of a talking vegetable is as silly to me as the statement "God loves you", so I think it's fitting for the two to be combined. Even if the words weren't censored I would not protest against this show being given airtime any more than I would protest against the ridiculous televangical programs on other networks. There's a market for each, but I leave it to the networks to decide on their own content. So, there is no "double standard" here...just the NBC standard, which is fine. The PTC is just being stupid as usual.