• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

‘VeggieTales’ stirs up a religious controversy

Smoke

Done here.
Apparently, the editing bothers the Parents Television Council more than it bothers the creator of "Veggie Tales," who says he understands the policy, is participating in the editing, and is making money from NBC in the process.
“‘VeggieTales is religious, NBC is not,” [Visscher] said. “I want to focus people more on ‘Isn’t it cool that Bob and Larry are on television.”’
But I did find it pretty amusing to read about the president of the Parents Television Council referring to "God" as a "four-letter word." :D

Bishka

Veteran Member
MidnightBlue said:
But I did find it pretty amusing to read about the president of the Parents Television Council referring to "God" as a "four-letter word." :D

As did I. I was thinking, I can count, right?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Oh say can you see by the dawn's early light... :D

I think it's cute. Religious objectives in America seem so petty to me. Christians should work to get rid of the death penalty or something, not worry about cartoons.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Djamila said:

I think it's cute. Religious objectives in America seem so petty to me. Christians should work to get rid of the death penalty or something, not worry about cartoons.

I know that I haven't read the article in depth, butI don't think it's Christians who are being concerned about "Veggietales."

Bishka

Veteran Member
FeathersinHair said:
I know that I haven't read the article in depth, butI don't think it's Christians who are being concerned about "Veggietales."

No, it's about VeggieTales being censored for saying

"That's all kids and remember God loves everyone one of you."

One line at the end of every episode -yet the TV show Friends can talk about sexual escapades, swear, etc.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
FeathersinHair said:

That's the impression I got? They took out references to God in some instances, and now conservative groups are upset?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Aaaah, okies- I see. (I was confusing the makers of Veggietales with the others.)

As unreasonable as I think NBC's doing this is, it's ultimately a non-Christian network. I really sympathize with the creators of "Veggietales", but I'm not sure- short of breaking their contract- what can be done about it. Maybe it was just because I was enjoying it with secular eyes that I saw the messages about kindness and friendship on the show as being able to stand on their own right. I understand your thoughts about "Friends", Becky, but (I'm assuming) "Veggietales" is aired at a time when the audience is mainly children, and therefore the standards at that time are different than at other times.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
FeathersinHair said:
Aaaah, okies- I see. (I was confusing the makers of Veggietales with the others.)

As unreasonable as I think NBC's doing this is, it's ultimately a non-Christian network. I really sympathize with the creators of "Veggietales", but I'm not sure- short of breaking their contract- what can be done about it. Maybe it was just because I was enjoying it with secular eyes that I saw the messages about kindness and friendship on the show as being able to stand on their own right. I understand your thoughts about "Friends", Becky, but (I'm assuming) "Veggietales" is aired at a time when the audience is mainly children, and therefore the standards at that time are different than at other times.

I agree, but I just think this whole situation is so stupid. It's stupid to have removed the phrases, and it's stupid to be upset that they were removed. It's just...nothing? Who cares? It's not like the Vegetables are telling the wee ones to eat Jews.

Bishka

Veteran Member
FeathersinHair said:

I think the standards should be the same all around though.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
beckysoup61 said:
I think the standards should be the same all around though.

I agree- which is why I'm not trying to convince anyone that I agree with NBC, because I don't. I would be supportive of the standard being the same all around, but I know I wouldn't be the one deciding what the standards would be, anyway.

I apologize, though. I'd thought that this was a discussion, but I seem to have turned it into a debate, which I didn't mean to.

Bishka

Veteran Member
FeathersinHair said:
I agree- which is why I'm not trying to convince anyone that I agree with NBC, because I don't. I would be supportive of the standard being the same all around, but I know I wouldn't be the one deciding what the standards would be, anyway.

I apologize, though. I'd thought that this was a discussion, but I seem to have turned it into a debate, which I didn't mean to.

Nah, it's fine - I sort of wanted it to be a slight debate in a way.

:D Don't worry Meggie, your fine.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Djamila said:

Actually, many Christians are working to get rid of the death penality, ameliorate poverty, end child abuse, etc. etc. They just don't get much TV time because it's considered "old news". The popular imagination is fired up by novelity and cooled off by substance.