• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you accept a Prophet?

MyM

So then there is no free will in Islam?

There is free will. Man can choose or refuse. In Islam, it says that Allah already knows the answer to your choice or refusal. It's up to you to think since he created you, he will not misguide you-you can do that all on your own. :)

Brian2

Veteran Member
That is a strange phrase... 'dictator of God's Word'

A true prophet invents nothing, but merely points to what's already been revealed
teaching and spells out the coming consequences of non-compliance.

That's past prophets. I'm speaking about the possibility of current prophets.
There's laws and tests for prophets in the Torah. But nowhere there does it
say there will be any circumstances for an end of prophets.

It may very well be the reluctance and hubris of modern man keeps prophets from being.

...and who would say we don't need them in this blood-drenched world?

I did hear that the Jews thought that the time of the prophets had ended. I thought that was strange as the Messiah is to be a prophet. Then I heard that prophets will anoint the Messiah and have anointed other claimants to the title Messiah with oil, so I guess there must be those who are considered to be prophets amongst the Jews.

I see John the Baptist as having anointed Jesus with water at the time He was anointed by God with the Holy Spirit.
I wonder what sort of prophets have anointed people in the past as Messiah when they have not been the Messiah.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Why should I believe the Bible? Because the Bible tells me so? Wouldn't that be circular reasoning?

View attachment 58958

That would be circular reasoning but is good for those who have faith in God and the Bible as His Word. But most of us want some other evidence also on top of what the Bible says and there are other reasons to believe the Bible and one of them is the fulfilled prophecy in those documents and prophecy which is continuing to be fulfilled up till this age.

Brian2

Veteran Member
There is free will. Man can choose or refuse. In Islam, it says that Allah already knows the answer to your choice or refusal. It's up to you to think since he created you, he will not misguide you-you can do that all on your own. :)

Why is using your free will to leave Islam seen as something punishable with death?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Why is using your free will to leave Islam seen as something punishable with death?

Some people saw people in North America are less than human and deserved to die for them to take over the land. That is because of free will too. So what would you blame that on?

Martin Luther saw Jews as miserable wicked people. The whole race was deserving exile and misery to him. Would you blame that on Jesus?

So like that, some Muslims may believe that apostates should be killed. But historically this has been proven false and the arabic word Murtad has been shown to have meant people leave the official state and join enemy, espionage, spying etc. And the Qur'an clearly says that there is no force, this way or that way in the religion. Killing or death sentence is only for murder.

Peace.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
Would you accept a Prophet?

For all Abrahamic faiths it seems to me the answer is no.

Which is really weird, that all seem to say to G-d.... stfu

No. I don't see why God needs to use a human intercessor to speak to me. If God wants to tell me something, then he can do it himself.

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
I did hear that the Jews thought that the time of the prophets had ended. I thought that was strange as the Messiah is to be a prophet. Then I heard that prophets will anoint the Messiah and have anointed other claimants to the title Messiah with oil, so I guess there must be those who are considered to be prophets amongst the Jews.

I see John the Baptist as having anointed Jesus with water at the time He was anointed by God with the Holy Spirit.
I wonder what sort of prophets have anointed people in the past as Messiah when they have not been the Messiah.

There is a general consensus among Jews that for us, there can be no prophecy outside of the land of Israel. Most prophets in the Tanakh are warning the people that they risk being kicked out of the Land by their actions.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Deuteronomy 18:18

I will raise them up a prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee; and I will put My words in his mouth, and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.

Ah. So you believe Deuteronomy is Gods word.

So again, what do you mean by a prophet?

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
Ah. So you believe Deuteronomy is Gods word.

So again, what do you mean by a prophet?

The topic in Torah continues see the next few passages to 22

I don't claim to be an expert, the tests for the prophet are not something
taught today as it is seen as not applicable today.

firedragon

Veteran Member
The topic in Torah continues see the next few passages to 22

I don't claim to be an expert, the tests for the prophet are not something
taught today as it is seen as not applicable today.

Thats irrelevant Sedim.

When you say prophet, what do you mean by it? Thats the question.

Do you mean people who makes prophecies about future events?
Do you mean prophets who "prophesies" as in some parts of the Tanakh?
Do you mean the simply convey the message of God?
Or do you mean prophets who are Gods manifestations on earth?

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
Thats irrelevant Sedim.

When you say prophet, what do you mean by it? Thats the question.

Do you mean people who makes prophecies about future events?
Do you mean prophets who "prophesies" as in some parts of the Tanakh?
Do you mean the simply convey the message of God?
Or do you mean prophets who are Gods manifestations on earth?

The role of the prophet is to point to the Torah and give warning of coming consequences of actions and call for repentance.

Here, skip up to the two minute mark and hear what my Rabbi has to say. It's like 5 minutes

firedragon

Veteran Member
The role of the prophet is to point to the Torah and give warning of coming consequences of actions and call for repentance.

Here, skip up to the two minute mark and hear what my Rabbi has to say. It's like 5 minutes

Okay. So that's your understanding of prophet. No worries. You spoke of all Abrahamic religions. Lets say in Islam, is that the definition of a prophet?

Then please explain why you said "No" to the below question of yours.

For all Abrahamic faiths it seems to me the answer is no.

Then you said
Which is really weird, that all seem to say to G-d.... stfu
adding a little bit of profanity to feel good probably.

Now you have contradicted yourself.

Your definition of a prophet is contradicting.

Def 1. The role of the prophet is to point to the Torah and give warning of coming consequences of actions and call for repentance.
Def 2. that all seem to say to G-d

Those two are contradicting.

SO is it Def 1, or Def 2 which just says "they say God"?

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
Okay. So that's your understanding of prophet. No worries. You spoke of all Abrahamic religions. Lets say in Islam, is that the definition of a prophet?...

IDK all definitions, but the word is pretty self-explanatory at least to me. Am I wrong?

MyM above in this very thread said there is no prophet after Mohammed, right?

If a Muslim claimed to be a prophet, that G-d spoke to them and told them to warn the people, point to Torah Law and say 'such and such will happen unless people repent'
how would that person be received? Probably no different than in a church or synagogue.

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
I just realized the core issue.

That with a prophet, it is G-d which initiates the action.
Unlike a preacher or teacher, the calling is not from within.

That is what everyone rejects, that G-d would be involved.
No wonder then he isn't. It all makes sense.

firedragon

Veteran Member
DK all definitions, but the word is pretty self-explanatory at least to me. Am I wrong?

Yes. You are absolutely wrong. The word is in English, the Arabic words used in the Quran are different, and means different.

MyM above in this very thread said there is no prophet after Mohammed, right?

If a Muslim claimed to be a prophet, that G-d spoke to them and told them to warn the people, point to Torah Law and say 'such and such will happen unless people repent'
how would that person be received? Probably no different than in a church or synagogue.

Absolutely. The Islamic belief is there is no prophet after Muhammed. And this so called Muslim who claimed to be a new prophet will be rejected. Rejected by the Qur'an directly.