• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why "G-d" instead of "God"?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Nice folks thinking they are doing the right thing because they don't want to think they are offending or insulting somebody.

Can't fault people for trying to be respectful. Just hope they treat actual people with that kind of respect.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Respect. Same as caps for God verses any god. Its genually asumes God reffers to the abrahamic God. Same as saying Allah;Jesus; Muhammad (Peace be upon them).

Why do you ask? You want to know how the relationship of respect relates to a dash, capa, etc?

I always thought the capitalising thing was because that is God's name (or at least that's the name that's most commonly used). E.g. The Abrahamic god is called 'God' in a variety of languages. Gramatically-speaking it makes sense, at the very least.

Akivah

How does leaving out a letter show respect?

It is a Jewish custom not to erase G-d's name. On this electronic forum, my posts containing His name could be deleted at any time. To avoid the possibility of that, I spell the name as G-d. Then if it get deleted, it's only a representation of His name that is deleted.

Besides no meaning is lost. Leaving the o off, doesn't prevent anyone for knowing whom I'm talking about.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I always thought the capitalising thing was because that is God's name (or at least that's the name that's most commonly used). E.g. The Abrahamic god is called 'God' in a variety of languages. Gramatically-speaking it makes sense, at the very least.
Well, it is a proper noun when used as a name. However, technically by scripture God has no name. It is an adjective that describes, in Christianity, the three people involved in a Christian's salvation.

A part from proper nouns and context, I see that people refer to God as the God of their Creator. The caps is like cap my name Carlita. Or King Richard. It denotes not onlg linguistic correctness, but in the English language, respect authorities in writing as Mr. and Ms by last name in speech.

In Judaism, unlike Christianity, saying G-d is respect that God's name is inappropriately used. What fancies me odd is the only use of G-d. Unless there can misuse by printing "God" and distroying the paper, I dont see how anyone can ruin the name on screen. So, it seems they do this by respect in intent.

I dont see harm it. How is it wrong or odd to take the O from God? Also, how does that affect a non christian?

Akivah

May I suggest to address Him as L-rd? You never know.

By the way, do you think that Go- is reading this forum and might send you to hell if you make a spelling mistake?

Hmmm, some people do that. There is no "set-in-stone" rule, just whatever one is comfortable with. For me, using G-d works just fine. IMO, Lord is more of a title, than a name.

Yes and no. G-d knows everything we do. But there is no such thing as hell.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is a Jewish custom not to erase G-d's name. On this electronic forum, my posts containing His name could be deleted at any time. To avoid the possibility of that, I spell the name as G-d. Then if it get deleted, it's only a representation of His name that is deleted.
That's interesting! That would make sense then. If it's never fully written out, it cannot be inadvertently erased? What about the tetragrammaton? What about pronouncing it? I've always thought it was replaced by saying Adonai or something else. Can you clarify how or if that fits in with this practice of typing G-d?

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
It comes from a tradition. Jews put a lot of respect when it comes to God. Me on the other hand don't get it as god is an english word. But you wont find me writing or even using the hebrew name of god or the title used in prayers.

Though I don't really get the disrespect some show for this tradition. Why say it is because of "stupidity"?

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
That's interesting! That would make sense then. If it's never fully written out, it cannot be inadvertently erased? What about the tetragrammaton? What about pronouncing it? I've always thought it was replaced by saying Adonai or something else. Can you clarify how or if that fits in with this practice of typing G-d?
The pronunciation of gods actual name was only done by the priests in the temple. Since the destruction the pronunciation has been lost. As for saying lord in prayer, that word is only used in prayer

rosends

we do not write the 4 letter name in Hebrew in most contexts -- it is written out in certain prayer/religious texts but not when someone is simply writing about G-d. We also don't pronounce it, partially because we are not supposed to, as we are not in the temple, in ritual purity, acting as the high priest, but also because the general consensus is that we don't know the proper pronunciation. Instead, in religious contexts, we replace it with the word which is related to the Hebrew for "my master." (out of respect for that "name" we don't say or write out that word if the context isn't learning or prayer). In fact, the vowels often found for the 4 letter name are just transposed from the other word to remind us that what we are saying is NOT the proper pronunciation of G-d's 4 letter name.

In other contexts, we say "hashem" which means "the name" or even "adoshem" which takes the earlier substitute word and combines it with "hashem" to make a further substitute.

Often, when writing Hebrew words or names that incorporate the letters which make up a name of G-d, some writers insert a dash to separate letters. Other times, we replace a letter with another letter that is similar. When we talk about the 4 letter name, we say "yod kay vav kay" because the 2nd and 4th letters are "hay" but we don't want to say the proper letters. (Kay is not a Hebrew letter.)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Besides no meaning is lost. Leaving the o off, doesn't prevent anyone for knowing whom I'm talking about.
Maybe unless it is staff, how would someone have access to delete God online in this forum?

Also, something Im curious of. God has no name? Wouldnt it be safe to say God is a word we use to represent the Creator but if destroyed does not mean we are destroying Gods name but the written title of it? It is similar to tearing up my name and assuming that affects me as if "Carlita" is who I am not the name that represents me for conversation sake.

I understand and respect why it is done. Just a question that poped in my head.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה

Strictly speaking, the prohibition only applies to writing in Hebrew.

There is a story told about Rabbi Joseph Soloveitchik (z"l), the truth of which I do not know, that on the first day of teaching a new class he would intentionally write GOD on the blackboard and then just as intentionally erase it... to demonstrate to his students that this was not a problem.

Nevertheless, it has become a widespread Jewish convention to write "G-d".

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Why "G-d" instead of "God"?

I write G-d instead of God just to differentiate it from the Christian-god-Jesus.
The name in Quran is Allah (in Jews it is YHWH, in Zoroastrianism it is Ahura-Mazda, in Hinduism it is Brahman, in Far Eastern countries it is Tao etc. ); actually the attributes matter not the name. Quran makes it clear.

Regards

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
We should use YHVH and God as separate entities, just like El and Elohim are not the same. :innocent: