• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why "G-d" instead of "God"?

Akivah

It's a token of respect for my Lord.

People's ways of showing respect can differ. For example, Christians show respect to their deity by uncovering their heads in their churches. Jews show respect to our deity by covering our heads in our synagogues.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
It isn't the name of the Jewish deity, God comes from the name of a Germanic deity. :rolleyes:

leibowde84

Veteran Member

People's ways of showing respect can differ. For example, Christians show respect to their deity by uncovering their heads in their churches. Jews show respect to our deity by covering our heads in our synagogues.
How does leaving out a letter show respect?

Tumah

Veteran Member
For me its just a way of reminding myself to be respectful with certain topics. The same way I don't say my parents' names in their presence, I also try to be careful with relating to G-d with a respectful mentality.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Because we're running out of "o"s.

Here they are.

Campbells-Spaghettios.jpg

leibowde84

Veteran Member
For me its just a way of reminding myself to be respectful with certain topics. The same way I don't say my parents' names in their presence, I also try to be careful with relating to G-d with a respectful mentality.
That makes sense. It's like a helpful reminder.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

May I suggest to address Him as L-rd? You never know.

By the way, do you think that Go- is reading this forum and might send you to hell if you make a spelling mistake?

Ciao

- viole

leibowde84

Veteran Member
May I suggest to address Him as L-rd? You never know.

By the way, do you think that Go- is reading this forum and might send you to hell if you make a spelling mistake?

Ciao

- viole
From what I understand thus far on this thread, it is a self-serving reminder. I'm not sure that they think God cares either way.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think because of stupidity.;)
Isn't it like saying "pbuh" every time you mention Mohamed's name, something appearing 16 times in a single paragraph? Or like adding 'swt" to append the name Allah every time you type it? Seems pretty much the same to me. So if one is stupid....

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Isn't it like saying "pbuh" every time you mention Mohamed's name, something appearing 16 times in a single paragraph? Or like adding 'swt" to append the name Allah every time you type it? Seems pretty much the same to me. So if one is stupid....

And i don't add these letters as well, but making a honor to a name such as saying "his majesty"..etc isn't the same as replacing letter O with - , your comparison doesn't make sense.