• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do non-muslims hate to be called Kuffar?

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
I don't care what Muslims call me. I don't care about what Muslims say about Christians/Christianity at all, as long as they leave us alone. After all, we used to call Muslims infidels, as well. :)
that's would be shocking opinion for some people here :)

accuatly some Muslim Scholar said " even Christians and Jews are already Muslims (submission to God ) ."

and they said:
So the paradise is for all Christians,Jews,Muslims , of course good people .(not criminals) .

and for others (people) religions whom never heard about Islam , or get fear, God may judge them for their deeds (not belief) .

I believe God had absolute justice , more than we thought.

God know best.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Kuffar
Also spelled 'kafir' or 'kaffir', Kuffar is a highly derogatory Arabic term used to refer to non-Muslims, though it is usually directed less against "People of the Book" (Christians and Jews) and more against others (Hindus, Buddhists, Shintoists, etc).

Separate laws govern Muslims and kuffars in an Islamic state with kuffars being viciously suppressed. For example: the blood payment to the family of a murdered Muslim man in Saudi Arabia is 1,000,000 Riyals; the payment to the family of a murdered Hindu woman is 3,333 Riyals.
Against kuffars make ready your strength to the utmost of your power, including steeds of war to strike terror into the (hearts of) the Enemy of Allah and your enemy, and others beside, whom you may not know, but whom Allah does know. Whatever you shall spend in the Cause of Allah, shall be repaid to you, and you shall not be treated unjustly. (Qur'an: 8:60)

Urban Dictionary: Kuffar

Servant_of_the_One1

that's would be shocking opinion for some people here :)

accuatly some Muslim Scholar said " even Christians and Jews are already Muslims (submission to God ) ."

and they said:
So the paradise is for all Christians,Jews,Muslims , of course good people .(not criminals) .

and for others (people) religions whom never heard about Islam , or get fear, God may judge them for their deeds (not belief) .

I believe God had absolute justice , more than we thought.

God know best.

I strongly disagree with you.

Allah swt clearly called christians kuffar(disbelievers) because they say Jesus is Allah, Allah is One in Trinity, or that Allah has son.

Certainly they disbelieve who say: Allah, He is the Messiah, son of Mary. And the Messiah said: O Children of Israel, serve Allah, my Lord and your Lord. Surely whoever associates (others) within Allah, Allah has forbidden to him the Garden and his abode is the Fire. And for the wrongdoers there will be no helpers.( 5:72)

As for Jews, they are also labled Disbelievers when they say We believe in Some Messengers and Reject Others(Jesus, Muhammad peace be upon them).

Verily, those who disbelieve in Allaah and His messengers and wish to make a distinction between Allaah and His Messengers saying, ‘We believe in some but not in others,’ and wish to adopt a way in between,

They are in truth disbelievers. And We have prepared for the disbelievers a humiliating torment.”

[al-Nisa’ 4:136, 150-151]

Godobeyer, it would be nice to bring with u evidences :)

I don't care what Muslims call me. I don't care about what Muslims say about Christians/Christianity at all, as long as they leave us alone. After all, we used to call Muslims infidels, as well. :)

We used? Not anymore??

Leaving others alone in peace is good behavior.

Last edited:

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Good advice, its childish how everyone Calles everyone else names just because they believe differently, this is why I hate religion.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
The word kaffir was used in South Africa to refer to a black person.

The word is derived from the Arabic term kafir (meaning 'disbeliever'), which originally had the meaning 'one without religion'.[1]

Portuguese explorers adopted the term to refer to black non-Muslim peoples when they became involved in the Arab slave trade along the Swahili Coast. Later, other European traders also adopted its use.[2]

^^^^^^^From Wiki.
South Africa was settled by the Dutch so maybe there is a connection there?
Calling a black a kaffir was like using the "n"" word here, very derogatory.
The Brits fought the Dutch in the Boer War. Boer being Dutch for "farmer".
Then the Zulu's kicked the snot out of the Brits but ultimately the Brits and Dutch
took over S. Africa.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Kuffar just means Disbelievers in the message of Islam. The opposite of the word Kuffar is Mu'minun that means Believers.

For example iam Kaafir(singular) in the message of Xtianity, Budhism, Hinduism. I dont mind when xtians/catholics recognizes me as infidel. Iam not saying that iam believer of xtianity, hinduism and buddhism so in that case iam happy to be labled Kaafir/Infidel.

I actually don't care very much. To the small degree I do care, it is because I recognize that in many, if not most, Muslim contexts of usage today, the word has a pejorative resonance that is often associated with negative speech or actions directed toward non-Muslims, and I am in favor of pluralism and tolerance whenever possible.

But mostly, I tend not to care what other religions call me, as long as they leave me and my people alone.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Kuffar just means Disbelievers in the message of Islam. The opposite of the word Kuffar is Mu'minun that means Believers.
For example iam Kaafir(singular) in the message of Xtianity, Budhism, Hinduism. I dont mind when xtians/catholics recognizes me as infidel. Iam not saying that iam believer of xtianity, hinduism and buddhism so in that case iam happy to be labled Kaafir/Infidel.
It doesn't bother me.
Although the intent of the speaker when using the term would matter.
Is it comparable to "heathen"?
I like that label.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
That is quite a dishonest post.

"Kaffir" in Arabic means "one who covers," and when used in a religious context, it means "one who covers the truth." It implies deliberate rejection of truth on the part of non-Muslims, which is why it is both pejorative and hateful when used toward them.

Shad

Veteran Member

It doesn't bug me. I find it amusing how easily intolerance in built into Islam.

FYI it is an offense terms all the time not just some of the time as Godobeyer thinks. It is literally covering up the truth rather than being unconvinced. There is no middle-ground with the term nor Islam.

Last edited:

Aquitaine

That is quite a dishonest post.

"Kaffir" in Arabic means "one who covers," and when used in a religious context, it means "one who covers the truth." It implies deliberate rejection of truth on the part of non-Muslims, which is why it is both pejorative and hateful when used toward them.

Even if it just meant "disbeliever", having it be used by members of a religion which claims itself to be "the truth/true way" is dangerous too, because by not being part of their group you become a "disbeliever" of "truth".

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Oh, so the actual meaning is closer to "unrepentant denier of the truth"?

I guess I don't mind being called kuffar/kaffir/kafir. I mind having to put up with the expectation of submission to religious fanatism, arrogance and supremacism, though.

Sabour

That is correct, this is one meaning of the word Kaffir. Those people are the ones who "knew" that islam is the truth but decided not to follow.

Not always, there is another meaning of the word Kaffir which is the one that the OP describes. For example if I don't believe in X, it means I am kaffir in X.

I believe that the meaning of the word depends on the person who is saying it and what is his intention. Some people do use it as a hate word while others use it to tell that the person doesn't believe in Islam.

Personally, I don't like to use the term because it may be misinterpreted.

I use that word solely to mean non-muslim.
It sounds more beautiful than just the boring non-muslim word.

But some use it as insult.

Words have both denotation and connotation.

Due to reasons mentioned previously, kuffar has negative connotations. It is also a non-English word which could easily be translated into English.

For these reasons, it seems strange to consciously choose to use a phrase that you know will cause offence to many people, regardless of whether or not you consider the term offensive.

It's a bit like choosing to use the word negro instead of black.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
I strongly disagree with you.

Allah swt clearly called christians kuffar(disbelievers) because they say Jesus is Allah, Allah is One in Trinity, or that Allah has son.

Certainly they disbelieve who say: Allah, He is the Messiah, son of Mary. And the Messiah said: O Children of Israel, serve Allah, my Lord and your Lord. Surely whoever associates (others) within Allah, Allah has forbidden to him the Garden and his abode is the Fire. And for the wrongdoers there will be no helpers.( 5:72)

As for Jews, they are also labled Disbelievers when they say We believe in Some Messengers and Reject Others(Jesus, Muhammad peace be upon them).

Verily, those who disbelieve in Allaah and His messengers and wish to make a distinction between Allaah and His Messengers saying, ‘We believe in some but not in others,’ and wish to adopt a way in between,

They are in truth disbelievers. And We have prepared for the disbelievers a humiliating torment.”

[al-Nisa’ 4:136, 150-151]

Godobeyer, it would be nice to bring with u evidences :)

I am not scholar (Fakih) , so i changed my though about this matter , just when watch a TV episode talking about this issue . so i agreed with their opinion .

the subject was :" Is the Paradise is only for Muslims , or its for all humanity "

If you understand Arabic ,this TV episode is in Arabic ?
edited : btw in this episode there are : a Sunni and a Shia, a Chritian

أ ل م | هل الجنة للمسلمين أم للبشر جميعاً؟ | 2015-06-04

btw this some evidences from Quran:

3:110
You are the best nation produced [as an example] for mankind. You enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong and believe in Allah . If only the People of the Scripture had believed, it would have been better for them. Among them are believers, but most of them are defiantly disobedient.

They are not [all] the same; among the People of the Scripture is a community standing [in obedience], reciting the verses of Allah during periods of the night and prostrating [in prayer].

Indeed, Allah does not do injustice, [even] as much as an atom's weight; while if there is a good deed, He multiplies it and gives from Himself a great reward.
So how [will it be] when We bring from every nation a witness and we bring you, [O Muhammad] against these [people] as a witness?
Indeed, Allah does not forgive association with Him, but He forgives what is less than that for whom He wills. And he who associates others with Allah has certainly gone far astray.
Paradise is not [obtained] by your wishful thinking nor by that of the People of the Scripture. Whoever does a wrong will be recompensed for it, and he will not find besides Allah a protector or a helper.

4:125
And who is better in religion than one who submits himself to Allah while being a doer of good and follows the religion of Abraham, inclining toward truth? And Allah took Abraham as an intimate friend.

17-15

Whoever is guided is only guided for [the benefit of] his soul. And whoever errs only errs against it. And no bearer of burdens will bear the burden of another. And never would We punish until We sent a messenger.

And the record [of deeds] will be placed [open], and you will see the criminals fearful of that within it, and they will say, "Oh, woe to us! What is this book that leaves nothing small or great except that it has enumerated it?" And they will find what they did present [before them]. And your Lord does injustice to no one.
45:28
And you will see every nation kneeling [from fear]. Every nation will be called to its record [and told], "Today you will be recompensed for what you used to do.

in the end this is my message in Arabic (i could not translate it in English) :
نحن المسلمون لم نقم الحجة على غير المسلمين بل بالعكس قدمنا لهم الحجة ليبتعدو و يكرهوا هذا الدين ... و حال المسلمين خير دليل

God knows best .

Last edited:

Servant_of_the_One1

I am not scholar (Fakih) , so i changed my though about this matter , just when watch a TV episode talking about this issue . so i agreed with their opinion .

the subject was :" Is the Paradise is only for Muslims , or its for all humanity "

If you understand Arabic ,this TV episode is in Arabic ?
edited : btw in this episode there are : a Sunni and a Shia, a Chritian

أ ل م | هل الجنة للمسلمين أم للبشر جميعاً؟ | 2015-06-04

btw this some evidences from Quran:

3:110
You are the best nation produced [as an example] for mankind. You enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong and believe in Allah . If only the People of the Scripture had believed, it would have been better for them. Among them are believers, but most of them are defiantly disobedient.

They are not [all] the same; among the People of the Scripture is a community standing [in obedience], reciting the verses of Allah during periods of the night and prostrating [in prayer].

Indeed, Allah does not do injustice, [even] as much as an atom's weight; while if there is a good deed, He multiplies it and gives from Himself a great reward.
So how [will it be] when We bring from every nation a witness and we bring you, [O Muhammad] against these [people] as a witness?
Indeed, Allah does not forgive association with Him, but He forgives what is less than that for whom He wills. And he who associates others with Allah has certainly gone far astray.
Paradise is not [obtained] by your wishful thinking nor by that of the People of the Scripture. Whoever does a wrong will be recompensed for it, and he will not find besides Allah a protector or a helper.

4:125
And who is better in religion than one who submits himself to Allah while being a doer of good and follows the religion of Abraham, inclining toward truth? And Allah took Abraham as an intimate friend.

17-15

Whoever is guided is only guided for [the benefit of] his soul. And whoever errs only errs against it. And no bearer of burdens will bear the burden of another. And never would We punish until We sent a messenger.

And the record [of deeds] will be placed [open], and you will see the criminals fearful of that within it, and they will say, "Oh, woe to us! What is this book that leaves nothing small or great except that it has enumerated it?" And they will find what they did present [before them]. And your Lord does injustice to no one.
45:28
And you will see every nation kneeling [from fear]. Every nation will be called to its record [and told], "Today you will be recompensed for what you used to do.

in the end this is my message in Arabic (i could not translate it in English) :
نحن المسلمون لم نقم الحجة على غير المسلمين بل بالعكس قدمنا لهم الحجة ليبتعدو و يكرهوا هذا الدين ... و حال المسلمين خير دليل

God knows best .

137 So if they believe in the like of that which you believe, then they are rightly guided; but if they turn away, then they are only in opposition. So Allah will suffice you against them. And He is the All-Hearer, the All-Knower.

Accepting prophet Muhammad peace be upon him & his family is must for every jew and christian who reaches the message of islam that is if they wish to attain salvation.
Of them were (some) who believed in him (Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم), and of them were (some) who averted their faces from him (Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم); and enough is Hell for burning (them) .
( سورة النساء , An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #55)

O mankind! Verily, there has come to you the Messenger (Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) with the truth from your Lord. So believe in him, it is better for you. But if you disbelieve, then certainly to Allah belongs all that is in the heavens and the earth. And Allah is Ever All-Knowing, All-Wise.
( سورة النساء , An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #170)

More evidences from noble quran, o servant of Allah so do not be amongst the people of the doubt:

And if only the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) had believed (in Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) and warded off evil (sin, ascribing partners to Allah) and had become Al-Muttaqun (the pious - See V.2:2) We would indeed have expiated from them their sins and admitted them to Gardens of pleasure (in Paradise).
( سورة المائدة , Al-Maeda, Chapter #5, Verse #65)

Say (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) "O people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians)! You have nothing (as regards guidance) till you act according to the Taurat (Torah), the injeel (Gospel), and what has (now) been sent down to you from your Lord (the Qur'an)." Verily, that which has been sent down to you (Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) from your Lord increases in most of them (their) obstinate rebellion and disbelief. So be not sorrowful over the people who disbelieve.
( سورة المائدة , Al-Maeda, Chapter #5, Verse #68)

And when it is said to them (the Jews), "Believe in what Allah has sent down," they say, "We believe in what was sent down to us." And they disbelieve in that which came after it, while it is the truth confirming what is with them. Say (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم to them): "Why then have you killed the Prophets of Allah aforetime, if you indeed have been believers?"
( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #91)

Are the muslims equal to jews, christians and other kuffar? Will they go to the same place while the others disbelieve in prophet Muhammad pbuh???
Here is the answer:

Can they (Muslims) who rely on a clear proof (the Qur'an) from their Lord, and whom a witness [Jibril (Gabriel عليه السلام)] from Him recites (follows) it (can they be equal with the disbelievers); and before it, came the Book of Musa (Moses), a guidance and a mercy, they believe therein, but those of the sects (Jews, Christians and all the other non-Muslim nations) that reject it (the Qur'an), the Fire will be their promised meeting-place. So be not in doubt about it (i.e. those who denied Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم and also denied all that which he brought from Allah. Surely, they will enter hell). Verily, it is the truth from your Lord, but most of the mankind believe not.
( سورة هود , Hud, Chapter #11, Verse #17)

The evidences are clear, so let us not be amongst the doubters.

“Verily, those who disbelieve (in the religion of Islam, the Qur’aan and Prophet Muhammad) from among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) and Al-Mushrikoon will abide in the fire of Hell. They are the worst of creatures”

[al-Bayyinah 98:6]

“Verily, those who disbelieve (in the religion of Islam, the Qur’aan and Prophet Muhammad) from among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) and Al-Mushrikoon will abide in the fire of Hell. They are the worst of creatures”(because they reject truth).

[al-Bayyinah 98:6]

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “By the One in Whose hand is my soul, no one of this nation, Jew or Christian, hears of me then dies without having believed in that with which I was sent, but he will be one of the people of the Fire.” Narrated by Muslim, 153.

“And We never punish until We have sent a Messenger (to give warning)”

[al-Isra’ 17:15]

Servant_of_the_One1

That is correct, this is one meaning of the word Kaffir. Those people are the ones who "knew" that islam is the truth but decided not to follow.

Not always, there is another meaning of the word Kaffir which is the one that the OP describes. For example if I don't believe in X, it means I am kaffir in X.

I believe that the meaning of the word depends on the person who is saying it and what is his intention. Some people do use it as a hate word while others use it to tell that the person doesn't believe in Islam.

Personally, I don't like to use the term because it may be misinterpreted.

Allah swt used terms like: O Mankind. or O people of the book.

You dont see words like: O you Kuffar/Disbelievers. Only in surah kaafirun, but that was message to prophet Muhammad pbuh to tell the polytheists : O disbelievers, i will not worship your gods and u will not worship my god....... to you your religion and to me mines.

When doing dawah its better and preferable to say O people of the book.

gsa

Although Debate Slayer has highlighted the dishonesty of the OP, I am very, very happy to see you label us "kuffar." Precisely because it is pejorative. We wouldn't want anyone to be under the impression that you respected non-Muslims.