• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do non-muslims hate to be called Kuffar?

Servant_of_the_One1

Kuffar just means Disbelievers in the message of Islam. The opposite of the word Kuffar is Mu'minun that means Believers.

For example iam Kaafir(singular) in the message of Xtianity, Budhism, Hinduism. I dont mind when xtians/catholics recognizes me as infidel. Iam not saying that iam believer of xtianity, hinduism and buddhism so in that case iam happy to be labled Kaafir/Infidel.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Kuffar just means Disbelievers in the message of Islam. The opposite of the word Kuffar is Mu'minun that means Believers.

For example iam Kaafir(singular) in the message of Xtianity, Budhism, Hinduism. I dont mind when xtians/catholics recognizes me as infidel. Iam not saying that iam believer of xtianity, hinduism and buddhism so in that case iam happy to be labled Kaafir/Infidel.
because it's used by some scholor Muslims as hatefull label , which close to "enemy" .

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe because most of us don't know Arabic and think it's a bad word? :p Seriously, I never heard it before. I'm still not offended.

Servant_of_the_One1

because it's used by some scholor Muslims as hatefull label , which close to "enemy" .

Not really as hateful.

My Lord called those who disbelieve in the true message as Kuffar Disbelievers. For them my Lord does not exist, they even say "moongod". So why should this term bother them??

It would be hateful to spit on people's face and scream all day Kuffar!!! Or to say : F** M** Kuffar!!! Lets get them!

It depends how you use the word and in what kind of situation.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Regardless of what the word actually means the context that the word is most often made in can hardly be considered flattering. In it's most common usage it is meant as a term of disparagement. I once called myself, under the "Religion" label on RF "Unrepentant Kuffar" and was very politely asked by a Muslim member to change it. That IS rather telling.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
Not really as hateful.

My Lord called those who disbelieve in the true message as Kuffar Disbelievers. For them my Lord does not exist, they even say "moongod". So why should this term bother them??

It would be hateful to spit on people's face and scream all day Kuffar!!! Or to say : F** M** Kuffar!!! Lets get them!

It depends how you use the word and in what kind of situation.
it's stereotype issue

Servant_of_the_One1

If you are sincerely using the term to only mean, non-Muslim, then I would conclude it is not offensive. Honestly, depends on context...

I use that word solely to mean non-muslim.
It sounds more beautiful than just the boring non-muslim word.

But some use it as insult.

Its like how u use Jew, some can use that as insult. It depends on the context.

Servant_of_the_One1

Regardless of what the word actually means the context that the word is most often made in can hardly be considered flattering. In it's most common usage it is meant as a term of disparagement. I once called myself, under the "Religion" label on RF "Unrepentant Kuffar" and was very politely asked by a Muslim member to change it. That IS rather telling.

Nothing wrong with Unrepentant Kuffar lol. It just means u would never want to become muslim and never repent :p

Godobeyer

Premium Member

unforunetly that word used by extremists in that hatefull speech in politic issues, so it's almost become common sense "enemy of God "

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
There is a secondary aspect as well. In South Africa, 'Kaffir' is a slur against black-Africans.

Servant_of_the_One1

Do all Muslims?
Or are you part of a small minority?
How many Muslims do you believe have a more pointed meaning for the word?
Tom

For instance the mujahidiin use the word Kuffar just to mean non-muslims from West. They dont use it in derogatory way.

But isis use that word in hateful way.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

I have called myself Kafir on occasion. I have been told that it is an offensive word. By Muslims.

Truth be told, I don't care very much... I have just been told that Muslims don't allow themselves to "change what Islam stand for" in order to accept homosexuality, so it is not proper for me to be offended by being called an unbeliever.

von bek

I am not saying they're related. I'm saying that because they are pronounced & spelt the same that it doesn't help.

Do you know why that word is used in South Africa? If it is not related to the Muslim word, what is its origin? Just curious.