• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why are so many people against islam ?

Looncall

I believe that the issue is Arab culture and the Arabs as a people and not really Islam. I will present a case for this and let you draw your own conclusions.

There are about 30 million Chinese Muslims in China. These are ethnic (Han) Chinese who happen to practice the Islamic faith instead of say, Buddhism. You never read about or hear anything about these people engaging in violence, beheading, suicide bombing, stoning apostates or infidels. Nothing. Even among brown skinned peoples-say Turks or Indians-no other ethnic groups are even remotely as violent and oppressive as Arabs. The Muslim religious scholar Reza Aslan really breaks down what Im talking about in this short video. It is probably the most entertaining and informative thing you will watch all month.

It is tragic that other muslim groups try to emulate the arabs.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I believe that the issue is Arab culture and the Arabs as a people and not really Islam. I will present a case for this and let you draw your own conclusions.

There are about 30 million Chinese Muslims in China. These are ethnic (Han) Chinese who happen to practice the Islamic faith instead of say, Buddhism. You never read about or hear anything about these people engaging in violence, beheading, suicide bombing, stoning apostates or infidels. Nothing. Even among brown skinned peoples-say Turks or Indians-no other ethnic groups are even remotely as violent and oppressive as Arabs. The Muslim religious scholar Reza Aslan really breaks down what Im talking about in this short video. It is probably the most entertaining and informative thing you will watch all month.

You have made a good point.
Quran/Islam/Muhammad are peaceful and have nothing to do with violence.
Regards

soupbone

I should have put a slight caveat in my post.

Yesterday someone put up a video on facebook of a woman being stoned to death in Saudi Arabia. Most of the comments were "God help that poor woman" and other comments (rightfully) condemning the mob. Even though that video demonstrates my point about how this is mostly an arab problem, I couldn't help but come to the realization of .......Where could these people have gotten such a repulsive and disgusting idea from? Why, the Old Testament of course. The god of the old testament, which is the Muslim god as well as the Jewish and Christian god, commands this sort of thing on practically every page.

These people are just following the instructions given in the OT. Malachi 3:6 "I am the lord, I change not". If he wanted people stoned to death for the most petty offense back then, he must surely still want it?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Even taking for granted that the shortcomings of Islam are mainly of cultural Arabic origin, it is still worth pointing out that the Quran and Islamic practice have failed in correcting them so far.

That alone is reason enough to have legitimate reserve against it. Or, at least, to be realistically wary of how much trust one should have on it.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Please quote from Quran to prove your point.

Regards
Islam is as Islam does -- not as Islam reads. Same for Xy. Because praxis is where the rubber meets the road. The reason people hate Muslims and Xtians is because of how they act -- not because of what they profess to believe.

sojourner

I should have put a slight caveat in my post.

Yesterday someone put up a video on facebook of a woman being stoned to death in Saudi Arabia. Most of the comments were "God help that poor woman" and other comments (rightfully) condemning the mob. Even though that video demonstrates my point about how this is mostly an arab problem, I couldn't help but come to the realization of .......Where could these people have gotten such a repulsive and disgusting idea from? Why, the Old Testament of course. The god of the old testament, which is the Muslim god as well as the Jewish and Christian god, commands this sort of thing on practically every page.

These people are just following the instructions given in the OT. Malachi 3:6 "I am the lord, I change not". If he wanted people stoned to death for the most petty offense back then, he must surely still want it?
Depends on how it's read. It also depends on how one understands the cultural and social context in which it was written. If one reads it from the perspective of an oppressed, exiled nation, it comes off a lot differently than if one reads it from the perspective of an American superpower.

Marisa

I only care what you believe when you insist I have to believe it too, or allow myself to be dominated by it. At that point I will evaluate it for its potential to contribute positively to my life. I remain an atheist.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Why are so many people against Jazz music? Or rap? Why are so many against Irish immigrants? Mexican immigrants?
People who hate are a nasty bunch. They do not make appeals to logic and they cling to their xenophobic ways.

sojourner

Why are so many people against Jazz music? Or rap? Why are so many against Irish immigrants? Mexican immigrants?
People who hate are a nasty bunch. They do not make appeals to logic and they cling to their xenophobic ways.
Don'tcha just hate haters? :D

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Quran is peaceful and rational.
The whole life of Muhammad was for establishing freedom of religion,freedom of speech and dignity of humanity.

One needs to understand it.

Regards
What about all of the calls to violence as a reaction to persecution? Obviously, persecution is not right, but neither is "slaying unbelievers". So, the Quran seems to profess that two wrongs make a right, or, at the very least, that religious beliefs can be worth killing over. Take a look at some of the "troubling verses" (A Few Troubling Koran Verses - Religious Debate and, please keep in mind that I am incredibly ignorant when it comes to the Quran. I've read it a few times, but I've always had this issue with it. It seems to say that Islam, or adherence to God's will, is more important than the lives of fellow human beings. This to me screams of being evil, but I would love an explanation with more knowledge on the subject (thanks in advance):

2:191 And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. And fight not with them at the Inviolable Place of Worship until they first attack you there, but if they attack you (there) then slay them. Such is the reward of disbelievers.

2:216 Warfare is ordained for you, though it is hateful unto you.

3:028 Let not the believers take disbelievers for their friends in preference to believers.

4:074 Fight in the way of Allah who sell the life of this world for the other. Whoso fighteth in the way of Allah, be he slain or be he victorious, on him We shall bestow a vast reward.

4:076 Those who believe do battle for the cause of Allah; and those who disbelieve do battle for the cause of idols. So fight the minions of the devil.

4:089 They long that ye should disbelieve even as they disbelieve, that ye may be upon a level (with them). So choose not friends from them till they forsake their homes in the way of Allah; if they turn back (to enmity) then take them and kill them wherever ye find them, and choose no friend nor helper from among them

4:091 If they keep not aloof from you nor offer you peace nor hold their hands, then take them and kill them wherever ye find them. Against such We have given you clear warrant.

4:101 The disbelievers are an open enemy to you.

4:144 Choose not disbelievers for (your) friends in place of believers. Would ye give Allah a clear warrant against you?

5:033 The only reward of those who make war upon Allah and His messenger and strive after corruption in the land will be that they will be killed or crucified, or have their hands and feet on alternate sides cut off, or will be expelled out of the land. Such will be their degradation in the world, and in the Hereafter theirs will be an awful doom.

5:051 Take not the Jews and the Christians for friends. … He among you who taketh them for friends is (one) of them.

8:012 When thy Lord inspired the angels, (saying): I am with you. So make those who believe stand firm. I will throw fear into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Then smite the necks and smite of them each finger.

8:059-060 And let not those who disbelieve suppose that they can outstrip (Allah's Purpose). Lo! they cannot escape. Make ready for them all thou canst of (armed) force and of horses tethered, that thereby ye may dismay the enemy of Allah and your enemy, and others beside them whom ye know not. Allah knoweth them.

8:065 Exhort the believers to fight. If there be of you twenty steadfast they shall overcome two hundred, and if there be of you a hundred (steadfast) they shall overcome a thousand of those who disbelieve, because they (the disbelievers) are a folk without intelligence.

9:005 Slay the idolaters wherever ye find them, and take them (captive), and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush.

9:012 If they … assail your religion, then fight the heads of disbelief. … Fight them! Allah will chastise them at your hands, and He will lay them low and give you victory over them

9:029 Fight against such of those who have been given the Scripture as believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, and forbid not that which Allah hath forbidden by His messenger, and follow not the Religion of Truth, until they pay the tribute readily, being brought low.

9:073 O Prophet! Strive against the disbelievers and the hypocrites! Be harsh with them. Their ultimate abode is hell, a hapless journey's end.

9:111 Believers … shall fight in the way of Allah and shall slay and be slain. It is a promise which is binding on Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an.

9:123 Fight those of the disbelievers who are near to you, and let them find harshness in you.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
i know its a wierd question - but muslism always say islam is of peace and truth - so then why has there been such an uprise in people who despise islam ? I am its a relgion of peace right - so then why are millions and milllions of peeople against ? just to clarify - i have no problem with muslims just the quran as its a book of hate that teaches hate - is the quran a book of hate ? imo - yes
I would say that any system of belief that encourages seperation between "believers" and "non-beievers" in any way deserves a high degree of scrutiny. I don't like the idea of any belief or adherence to supernatural forces puts anyone above anybody else. I can't get my mind around a God that would care too much what we thought of him. He's got to be above that pettiness.

Muffled

Jesus in me
i know its a wierd question - but muslism always say islam is of peace and truth - so then why has there been such an uprise in people who despise islam ? I am its a relgion of peace right - so then why are millions and milllions of peeople against ? just to clarify - i have no problem with muslims just the quran as its a book of hate that teaches hate - is the quran a book of hate ? imo - yes

I believe when I read the Qu'ran I did not get the feeling that it was a book of hate. I believe a person may have a prejudicial view before reading it that would engender that belief.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I believe when I read the Qu'ran I did not get the feeling that it was a book of hate. I believe a person may have a prejudicial view before reading it that would engender that belief.
I'm not sure about "hate", but it does seem to stress isolationism or seperatism from the "non-believers". Not to say that other religions don't adhere to this principle as well, but it is a negative aspect nonetheless, imho.

Muffled

Jesus in me
It seems to me that supremacist religions should expect a lot of resistance as a matter of course. Islam is not the only one.

I believe as Christians we are only obligated to tell the good news not try to force a person into belief. So all one has to do is listen and if you reject then the onus is on you but we have done what God required of us.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I'm not sure about "hate", but it does seem to stress isolationism or seperatism from the "non-believers". Not to say that other religions don't adhere to this principle as well, but it is a negative aspect nonetheless, imho.

I don't believe I remember any stress on that either. It is difficult to be objective and I am not immune to have pre-conceived ideas either. Before I read the Qu'ran my feeling was that Islam was a smokescreen to keep people from being saved. However when I read the Qu'ran I did so withthe Paraclete as my guide. I would not call that an objective view either since God sees things His own way.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The short list in Intolerance in the Quran shall be of use, then.

Be aware though that I don't think it is very proper to quote scripture, under any circunstances. A religious person should speak his or her own Dharma at any given moment, without relying on static words.

People have quite insistently attempted to read the Quran under a more generous light, but the text itself just doesn't help it. It is too bad that it is essentially contradictory to be a Muslim who knows better than the Quran, but that is what would need to be widely accepted as natural for Islam to much rise above its early-medieval ethical values.

I believe tolerance is not an ethic that God claims as His.