• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which religion supports mental illness best?

randomvim

It's My Birthday!
I am not looking for another religion. I am happy with what I believe.

Why am I quoted?
if you are adding me to quote below, I am not concerned for changing religion but what you are searching for. support can mean a lot of different things and not everyone can or obligated to all sorts of support.

I'd agree with other poster that you may be more successful in considering persons rather a group for support which may allow you to find what you are looking for in your own (religious) group.

Nerthus

Wanderlust
Why am I quoted?
if you are adding me to quote below, I am not concerned for changing religion but what you are searching for. support can mean a lot of different things and not everyone can or obligated to all sorts of support.

I'd agree with other poster that you may be more successful in considering persons rather a group for support which may allow you to find what you are looking for in your own (religious) group.

Looks like I meant to reply to you re: support, but missed it out somehow.

Acim

Revelation all the time
I know this is an odd question... and to be honest, I don't really know whether anyone can answer it.

I have a mental health problem and feel that Christianity just doesn't explain it or support it.

What religion would you say does support MI best?

As a Gnostic / New Age Christian, I'd say Christianity. I think (not sure) I can understand why you would say Christianity, in your experience, doesn't explain or support it.
Though I'd amend what I just said by noting that Christianity isn't inherently best at explaining/supporting it. I think any of them can/do, but like all human endeavors (includes sciences), it may not consistently work out at level of ideal. Then again it may.

I recall when I was agnostic and had bouts with mental health issues, that any human that took time to listen, earnestly understand and offer help/assistance based on their life experience with or knowledge of community resources and psychological/spiritual understandings - that it helped me. Sometimes that may be a pastor, sometimes a psychiatrist, sometimes a counselor, sometimes a good friend.