• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which religion supports mental illness best?

Nerthus

Wanderlust
I know this is an odd question... and to be honest, I don't really know whether anyone can answer it.

I have a mental health problem and feel that Christianity just doesn't explain it or support it.

What religion would you say does support MI best?

Laika

Premium Member
I know this is an odd question... and to be honest, I don't really know whether anyone can answer it.

I have a mental health problem and feel that Christianity just doesn't explain it or support it.

This wont answer your question about which religion is best for mental health but there is some evidence to suggest religious beliefs and spirituality can be good for mental health;

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/pdf/Simon Dein Religion and Mental Health. Current Findings.pdf

https://www.rethink.org/resources/s/spirituality-and-mental-illness-factsheet

Speaking as an atheist with depression, having communist beliefs has helped in some ways (organising and structuring my thoughts, belief in predictability of phenomena which reduces anxiety from uncertainty, a basis for some optimism about the future based on a belief in human progress based on knowledge, reason, science and a focus on self-improvement,etc) but has other major issues which effectively negate many of its benefits during periods of intense stress or introspection (a secular equivalent to the "problem of evil" and the "problem of hell" if you will). The latter has signuficantly lowered my stress tolerance but it may be an unaviodable form of psychological scarring from depression as well by conforting "hard realities". I'm not sure but its a belief system to avoid if possible if your looking for a way to be consistently happy.

So I think having a "worldview" to organise your thoughts and life around does have mental health benifits but its a "complicated" relationship depending on how you use any system of beliefs. Personally, I would be concerned over certian forms of beliefs that increase uncertianty or feelings of powerlessness and therefore establish a basis for increase anxiety and depression. Its worth reading around if you are looking for something that may help if you have problems. :)

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member

In Islam view the person who mental illness is sinless, and can't be judged. until back to normal.

Tabu

Spirituality and meditation is definitely some thing worth giving a try , because it focuses on the positive qualities of the soul, builds and strengthens them.
For example you have to choose a positive thought like , " I am a power soul " repeatedly meditate on it and internalize it , and very soon you will start believing in it and become one.
The most important aspect of Brahmakumari beliefs is the idea , " I am a soul , and this body is my costume through which I play a role in the drama of life".
If this belief becomes strong , one's worries about body image , health concerns , relationships and most of the concerns causing mental illnesses are fairly reduced .

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Oh ok.

How does Islam explain mental illness? It is a result of sin or wrong doing? Is it a punishment from God?
I find a site talking about this issue :)

“The pen is lifted (stopped from writing the deeds) from three: the sleeping person until he wakes up, the handicapped or insane person till he becomes able to reason and the child till he grows up (reaches the age of puberty)”

please check out:

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=showfatwa&Option=FatwaId&Id=86999

No it's not punishment from God,it's destiny.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member

Mental ILLNESS is an illness and religion can't "cure" mental illness.
This is a medical issue.
Religion might help perhaps. Or make it worse.
How can religion "explain or support" a mental illness?

Tabu

Religion might help perhaps. Or make it worse.
This is an excellent statement , it depends on what beliefs one holds about God , if you believe in a benevolent God much of your worries and mental tensions would be reduced , and if you hold strong the belief of a punishing God your mental illness is sure to aggravate.
Now, Spirituality Mediations have the powers to shift your beliefs from a punishing God and find comfort in a benevolent God.

Nerthus

Wanderlust
I am not asking for a religion to cure it.

I am on meds and have therapy. I have found that a lot of churches have said its because of sin, or because i am not praying or reading the bible enough.

So am just curious about how different religions see MI and support people with it.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

If I had to choose one just like that, it would be Buddhism. Vipassana and similar practices can do wonders for mental health when properly conducted.

That said, it seems to me that much of mental health is actually a result of being a part of healthy social environments. Depending on your circunstances it can easily be that, say, Quakers or Judaism might be a better fit.

I would advise against any beliefs that lend a lot of weight to deities or spirits, though.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Last edited:

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
If I had to choose one just like that, it would be Buddhism. Vipassana and similar practices can do wonders for mental health when properly conducted.

That said, it seems to me that much of mental health is actually a result of being a part of healthy social environments. Depending on your circunstances it can easily be that, say, Quakers or Judaism might be a better fit.

I would advise against any beliefs that lend a lot of weight to deities or spirits, though.

Ah Buddhism says its because of bad Karma, I hardly see that as something to help you feel better about your illness

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Ah Buddhism says its because of bad Karma, I hardly see that as something to help you feel better about your illness
I can only assume your understanding of Buddhism is a stranger to mine. I can't make any sense of your comment otherwise. "Bad Karma" is not something to be faced that way and I would expect you to understand that. It is kind of basic.

I can't say I am surprised, either. We have already learned as much, after all.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I am not asking for a religion to cure it.

I am on meds and have therapy. I have found that a lot of churches have said its because of sin, or because i am not praying or reading the bible enough.

So am just curious about how different religions see MI and support people with it.

Do you believe that MI is because of sin and do you believe that you are not reading and praying enough?

If it's just the people, I'd take a break from Church (unfortunately), and focus your attention on building your life with god or Jesus (whomever). Take some time with yourself and god and read the Bible that way.

Hope this clarification helps:

Sin is an actual transgression/action against god.
Mental illness is not an action.
So the two don't go together.

The Bible says that god answers prayers at his time not a christian's
Therefore, one person can pray once and get his prayer answered
and another can pray the same prayer thousand times before her prayer is answered. Keep in mind, people don't describe god, his motives, etc. That's putting words in his mouth.

Not reading the Bible enough! In my opinion, whoever said that to you is practicing a form of idolism as if the Bible holds the answers rather than Christ.

Also, make sure spirituality is a foundation for where all your other decisions are made. Sin is an action, MI is not. Prayer is answered in god's time. In Christianity, Christ answers prayers not the Bible.

I dont think you need to change religions, just hang around different people and spend more time to yourself with Christ.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
I'd answer the OP's question, but to say which religion best
foments the spread of mental illness would be divisive.
There are so many, & I'm sure each would want the honor.

I totally get that post!

Religion can indeed morph into a metal illness and religion seems to attract those unstable.
Not saying religious people are mentally ill.
Far from it.
Still some of those out in the ozone that get their hands on guns and or explosive can create
havoc.
Here is something that I believe demonstrates one form of mental illness. HATRED!

upload_2016-9-28_10-27-2.png

"Pray for more dead soldiers." "God hates ****."
Westboro Baptists Christians? I don't think so.

A fine example of mental illness in the form of demonstrating for hate.

Then there is this in the name of some "god".
Jihad Report
Sep 17, 2016 -
Sep 23, 2016

Attacks 43
Killed 290
Injured 227
Suicide Blasts 6
Countries 16

A great way to promote a belief.

Those murdered in the name of any other religion?
ZERO

Lyndon

Premium Member
You need to get out more if you think people aren't being murdered in the name of any other religions.

Lyndon

Premium Member
I was raised Seventh Day Adventist, they never blamed people for their mental illness, they might blame causal factors like drug addiction, which was a factor in my case, they also speak of genetics, also a problem in my family, but that's not blaming me.