• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's Wrong With You? Or.....How Are You Abnormal?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm not interested in how healthy, popular, well adjusted, or successful you are.
I wanna know how you don't measure up in society!
So all you cripples, aspies, ne'er do wells, shut-ins, hoarders, & cretins speak up here.
Let's share our maladies!

I have Dupuytren's contracture.
It's a genetic defect bestowed upon mostly northern Europeastanic men.
It's aggravated by injury, & I crushed my left pinky finger twice when I was a kid.
Over me adult years, it curled up into a nasty thick little hook.
The only thing it's still good for is typing....a disease for the internet age, eh?
I can't wear gloves easily because I can't ever straighten it.
And I don't dare grab anything with it cuz I can't let go.

It is good for one thing.
When me daughter asks to see & touch my mangled finger,
just as she touches it, I yelp in pretend pain to startle her.
Works every time!

Edit:
My right index finger is starting to thicken up the way my pinky did.
This one matters more, so I might be facing surgery some day.
Oh, boy.

Last edited:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Well, according to the doctor, I have "most impressively herniated discs" at L4 and L5. Or rather had. That was in the 1990s. A few years ago they discovered that I no longer have any appreciable amount of disc at either L4 or L5, allowing the bones to grind directly on the nerves, which they do at unexpected times...and if I on occasion do something stupid, like turn in my chair to throw something in the garbage or try to pick up a bag of groceries...

EDIT: forgot to finish--the result is that I carry a heavy walking stick with me at all times, which makes people wonder why I am carrying essentially a 36-inch wooden club when I rarely use it to actually help me walk or stand. It is useful for whupping trouble-making students, however...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, according to the doctor, I have "most impressively herniated discs" at L4 and L5. Or rather had. That was in the 1990s. A few years ago they discovered that I no longer have any appreciable amount of disc at either L4 or L5, allowing the bones to grind directly on the nerves, which they do at unexpected times...and if I on occasion do something stupid, like turn in my chair to throw something in the garbage or try to pick up a bag of groceries...

EDIT: forgot to finish--the result is that I carry a heavy walking stick with me at all times, which makes people wonder why I am carrying essentially a 36-inch wooden club when I rarely use it to actually help me walk or stand. It is useful for whupping trouble-making students, however...
Ouch!
I'll take my malady over yours any day.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I was born with bowed shins, which no doubtedly played a role in the multiple tears I've had my in my left cartilage and ACL.
I develped IBS-C about a year ago.
I also have Asperger's Syndrome, which has made it so hard for me to find a job that I gave up on looking for one and started repairing electronics (which repair all my own stuff anyways).
I've suffered with depression and anxiety as since I was a child, but they haven't been as a bad lately.
I also have insomnia and OCD tendencies.
I'm near sighted, and though I don't legally need my glasses to drive, they sure make it easier to make out finer details in what I'm looking at.
I also had carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists, and even though I had surgery on them I'm sure I have some nerve and joint damage in my wrists because I tend to abuse my wrists while I'm sleeping.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I was born with bowed shins, which no doubtedly played a role in the multiple tears I've had my in my left cartilage and ACL.
I develped IBS-C about a year ago.
I also have Asperger's Syndrome, which has made it so hard for me to find a job that I gave up on looking for one and started repairing electronics (which repair all my own stuff anyways).
I've suffered with depression and anxiety as since I was a child, but they haven't been as a bad lately.
I also have insomnia and OCD tendencies.
I'm near sighted, and though I don't legally need my glasses to drive, they sure make it easier to make out finer details in what I'm looking at.
I also had carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists, and even though I had surgery on them I'm sure I have some nerve and joint damage in my wrists because I tend to abuse my wrists while I'm sleeping.
You left out one of the big guns, ie, transgender.
That's a pretty good one!

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a noticeably nasal voice. I was mocked for it many times (including by teachers at times) in my childhood when I mingled with people, but since I was homeschooled until middle school, things could have been worse; I'm pretty sure I would have been bullied a lot more if I hadn't been homeschooled.

I'm still self-conscious about the nasality of my voice in some situations to this day, but I have gotten far more confident over the years. I no longer sweat and blush (literally) while talking to people as a result of the nasality, for example.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
I can't purposefully look people straight in the eye.
I can't eat food with other people around (excluding a select few).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You left out one of the big guns, ie, transgender.
That's a pretty good one!
I don't see that as something wrong with me, but something wrong with everybody else Not exactly everybody else, but those who think "man in a dress," it is definitely their problem, very much so a problem with them, and not with me.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I do wish Indiana would hurry up and legalize medical pot. Even though I would also enjoy the psychoactive properties, it helps with pretty much everything I have from the arthritis in my knee from the multiple injuries, the depression and anxiety, it helps to treat IBS and other gastrointestinal disorders. I'd rather be one just one thing to treat them all rather than the handful of pills I'd be on otherwise.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't see that as something wrong with me, but something wrong with everybody else Not exactly everybody else, but those who think "man in a dress," it is definitely their problem, very much so a problem with them, and not with me.
Well, I'm not thinking of the sociological aspects.
My damaged digit isn't a problem in that way either.
Just things out of the ordinary, & transgender is certainly that.
So what if others have a problem with our quirks?
We are who we are.

Nefelie

I hold the mouse upside down and no matter how many times I tried, I can’t hold it like everybody else. I’ve been often teased about this.

I’m almost completely deaf from my left ear but have perfect hearing from my right ear. This creates a problem about from where a sound comes. I’ve been often teased about this too.

I am allergic to vitamin C (!). I’ve been told that only about 5% of people around the world have such an allergy.

I also have some autoimmunes and other health problems, but the most important thing is that:

I DON’T GIVE A DAMN! I’M AWESOME AND I KNOW IT! :D

And I love being teased about these problems. It gives me the chance to tease myself too and make people laugh :D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
A picture of my chest at age 14 is hidden away in some medical journal under 'pityriasis rosea' as an extreme example.

pityriasis-rosea1.jpg

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I have manboobs.
I keep a vinyl glove in my pocket to use in public bathrooms. I'm germaphobic.
I'm a 34 year old virgin.
I give excuses not to attend invitations. I'm an introvert.
Tomato is vegetable.
I don't have friends.
I'm bad at talking.
Tomato is vegetable.