• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was last movie you watched?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Batman v Superman was awesome. Marvel fans be warned though, it's intelligent and you might have to think!
I can't think of a movie being intelligent when it has a dramatic scene revolving around Lex Luthor's jar of ****.

But really I didn't like the movie because it misses the core characters of both Batman and Superman in attempts to super gritty two comics which are much sillier most of the time than gritty fans like to admit. (Also making Batman ok with using guns-such as the plane mounted and ground mounted turrets- is never a good story move. And can we please emphasize Batman being a detective instead of taken in by a super transparent smear campaign?) Personally I think the majority of Batman and Superman animated series captures the essential characters way more than this and the Nolan movies.

Apart from that, the editing in this movie was terrible. It's like the scenes were put on 'shuffle' and played with no discernible flow. And Jesse couldn't seem to decide if he was portraying Lex or Joker. The writing wasn't full of symbolism so much as word salad to make it seem more deep than it was, and came off more incoherent than intelligent.

The best thing to come out of this two-and-half-hour slog is the 8 minutes or so of Wonder Woman. I'd be happy to see more of that.

Sincerely,
A DC fan.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
See I think that's the divide. It's not Marvel vs DC, it's a childish sense of wonderment vs modern ideas and people who never really like comics. Like for me, it's awesome to see a worn down batman, to see how dark Gotham had made him. It's the same feel as Nightowl II. But people don't want to see batman change. The biggest complaint I've seen is that the characters are some how smeared, because god forbid we look at the possible Dark side of superheroes.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
See I think that's the divide. It's not Marvel vs DC, it's a childish sense of wonderment vs modern ideas and people who never really like comics. Like for me, it's awesome to see a worn down batman, to see how dark Gotham had made him. It's the same feel as Nightowl II. But people don't want to see batman change. The biggest complaint I've seen is that the characters are some how smeared, because god forbid we look at the possible Dark side of superheroes.
To me this is like the complaints with video games where we're so focused on making grimdark stories that we make the same mopey, angsty protagonist and the same rubble-strewn brown-and-gray world. I like Batman better when he has a sense of wry humor, Superman when he is the eternal optimist that sometimes fails. The grimdark doesn't capture that depth to me, and ends up being as one-dimensional as it would be to just have the slapstick original Batman (live action) television series. And yeah, we do value some semblance of character continuity. Change the character too much and you just end up getting more bombs and more reboots. These characters didn't feel like Batman and Superman. Hell they didn't even feel like living, breathing people, with that amount of 'speaks in one-line platitudes with no natural feeling dialogue.'
Anyway, that's my opinion.

Premium Member
It's all personal preference anyways I suppose. I'll always enjoy the maturity and philosophy of Watchmen over the wise cracking one dimension of Avengers. The new DC movies fit into the former. Apparently staring into the abyss and endless fighting bad guys who rise up again doesn't allow for wise cracking American heroes to stay that way. Who knew!

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's all personal preference anyways I suppose. I'll always enjoy the maturity and philosophy of Watchmen over the wise cracking one dimension of Avengers. The new DC movies fit into the former. Apparently staring into the abyss and endless fighting bad guys who rise up again doesn't allow for wise cracking American heroes to stay that way. Who knew!
I like mature and philosophizing too. My favorite comic of all time is Transmetropolitan, and that's practically an understudy of Hunter S Thompson and Gonzo journalism as a dystopian high concept scifi. (And Warren Ellis is one of my favorite writers for both DC and Marvel.)
I just don't think mopey 'Look guys, Batman is worse stop being mean to me!' Superman and 'Why did you say that name?!' Comic trivia McGuffin Batman was particularly mature or philosophizing. Just angsty and very teen fic feeling (but even less coherent.)

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
This was a very interesting film. Psychologically engaging and emotionally depressing 'till the very end. The stop motion animation and how they convey the lead character's complete isolation from the rest of the world were fantastic.

However, it's very slow moving, which isn't bad in and of itself, but it really makes this film a slog to get through in certain parts. Plus the lead character is such an awful person. You can sympathize with him, but I've yet to meet a single person who has seen this that actually liked him as a character.

8/10

anomalisa-poster-change.png

Premium Member
I saw Zootopia which was very good.

I heard that suicide squad is supposed to be getting more humor and light heartedness after Batman vs Superman was **** on for being dark and adult. Hope to god that's a rumor.

Deidre

Into The Walking Dead right now, and really enjoying it. I started way back at season 1 and now on season 2. I'm thinking series these days are better than most movies out there. :blush: