• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with those people who listen to music?

Sonofason

The other day I went to the gym and I saw a person who was leaning against one of those big balloons that they have in the gym and was listening to music. I could hear that person singing and I could see him kind of dancing. So, I asked myself “is he getting high of that music?”.

Are those people so depressed that they need to listen to music in order to make them happy? Are those people so anxious that they need to listen to music in order to calm them down? Is it not like a narcotic? The more you take the more you want it. In that case their depression/anxiety will only grow like a tree - when you put water on it.

Does music bring them closer to God? I believe in Islam they recommend us not to fall on this idea, because you might not want to practice the religion overall.

In one book, I read “Music and poetry are two tools of Satan to destroy your soul and ruin your heart.” What do you think of that? Kind of falls on my theory. Don’t you think that music destroys their capitulation and it ruins their confidence? It’s like those pills they make for you to feel good, but then it only makes your immune system weaker. What is wrong with those people who listen to music?
No, music can be and often is a wonderful form of human expression. It has the ability to cultivate community, unify people and heighten spirituality. Music has been around for ever, and it will remain forever.

"By transgression an evil man is ensnared, But the righteous sings and rejoices." (Proverbs 29:6)

"And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord..." (Ephesians 18-19)

Yet with all things, music can be a conduit for evil as well.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The other day I went to the gym and I saw a person who was leaning against one of those big balloons that they have in the gym and was listening to music. I could hear that person singing and I could see him kind of dancing. So, I asked myself “is he getting high of that music?”.

Are those people so depressed that they need to listen to music in order to make them happy? Are those people so anxious that they need to listen to music in order to calm them down? Is it not like a narcotic? The more you take the more you want it. In that case their depression/anxiety will only grow like a tree - when you put water on it.

Does music bring them closer to God? I believe in Islam they recommend us not to fall on this idea, because you might not want to practice the religion overall.

In one book, I read “Music and poetry are two tools of Satan to destroy your soul and ruin your heart.” What do you think of that? Kind of falls on my theory. Don’t you think that music destroys their capitulation and it ruins their confidence? It’s like those pills they make for you to feel good, but then it only makes your immune system weaker. What is wrong with those people who listen to music?
For once, I'm at a bit of a loss how to respond to such thinking, if indeed we can classify it as thinking, that is. Does music bring human animals closer to god? It certainly can, and it can also serve to take them far beyond such primitive concepts like god. Each individual's mileage may vary, of course, but music has the ability to transcend the ordinary in ways that can deeply affect emotions. Though it is true that the ilk known as pop music is almost the definition of banality these days, music created by real artists is something that cannot be easily fobbed off as the work of some Satanic influence.

Take for example this marvelous work by Mike Oldfield.
The piece is Women of Ireland is based on a traditional folk-tune.
That is near sublime - on so many levels...

another example of perfection is here...
Plácido Domingo at his finest...

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Music can be used as a tool for /demonic possession, via things like blatant demonic worship, or backwards masking. This can occur to varying degrees, even if you are unaware of it. Therefore, if you want to avoid this, careful research is required as to what bands etc you will be listening to. And no, not all type of demonic music is metal etc.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Music a lot of times has a spiritual quality to it, but mainstream music rarely leads to God. So many times I wonder if the songwriters weren't ex preachers.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Mammon, I guess songwriters know what the music industry wants to hear, and pay for. Is there a conspiracy in music led by Satan? It's possible
I don't have a problem with music, it's just that people should be aware of 'what' they are listening to, and that might take some research

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I love music, all kinds of music: Rock, Pop, Country, Gospel, Southern Gospel, Classical, New Age, Celtic Harp and other "World music" (meaning folk music from various different countries. I don't believe for one second that music is "satanic" or anything else. People listen to it for all kinds of reasons, including entertainment.

Sakeenah

Why don't you say " why do people listen to music?" Instead of " what's wrong with people who..".

interminable

منتظر
Unfortunately people think that they can gain calmness by listening to music or laughing a lot or going to marvelous places while the only thing that can bring calmness is inner satisfaction not something out of the soul
I don't wanna say that every music is bad but most of it is forbidden in Islam because God doesn't want people seek calmness through something that is kind of a sedative and isn't sustainable

Sakeenah

It is indeed sad that some sects of Islam frown upon music. But then on the other side of the spectrum you have whirling dervishes, who were Muslims.

As I read the Quran, it seemed to me that Muhammad wasn't a big fan of having fun. All manner of having fun is discredited in the Quran. On the other hand, I've seen a lot of Islamic art that is clearly inspired by psychedelic experiences.

You read the Quran and now you're an expert:rolleyes:... I'm curious which chapter and verse says that all manners of having fun is discredited??

David1967

Premium Member
Yes I agree it could help, but can it destroy you also?

https://mic.com/articles/98310/scie...ic-is-literally-ruining-our-brains#.texqpxbxX

Some of those songs gets stock in your head and sometimes for many years.

Thank you for the all the support you gave me in my other topic, all the respect goes to you. However, I must say I didn't come here to make friends. We will disagree on certain topics.

Of course. No problem. Its a debate forum, nothing personal.

whirlingmerc

People seem to connect emotions and ideas in a strong way with music.

I think in church it's a mistake is music is used as a shortcut to an immediate experience. There are various purposes but
singing as part of the teaching ministry of the church songs that are contemplative and think over stunning beliefs or reinforce teaching should not be overlooked.

It's also a good way to learn things and simple songs that help memorize verses are helpful

or maybe

Last edited: