• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with those people who listen to music?

sovietchild

The other day I went to the gym and I saw a person who was leaning against one of those big balloons that they have in the gym and was listening to music. I could hear that person singing and I could see him kind of dancing. So, I asked myself “is he getting high of that music?”.

Are those people so depressed that they need to listen to music in order to make them happy? Are those people so anxious that they need to listen to music in order to calm them down? Is it not like a narcotic? The more you take the more you want it. In that case their depression/anxiety will only grow like a tree - when you put water on it.

Does music bring them closer to God? I believe in Islam they recommend us not to fall on this idea, because you might not want to practice the religion overall.

In one book, I read “Music and poetry are two tools of Satan to destroy your soul and ruin your heart.” What do you think of that? Kind of falls on my theory. Don’t you think that music destroys their capitulation and it ruins their confidence? It’s like those pills they make for you to feel good, but then it only makes your immune system weaker. What is wrong with those people who listen to music?

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I saw a guy rocking away in his car. I mean rocking this way and that!!!

You would think he would be swerving all over the place by the way he was moving but he was driving straight as an arrow.

=0D

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
The other day I went to the gym and I saw a woman, she was leaning against one of those big balloons that they have in the gym. She was listening to music. I could hear her singing and I could see her kind of dancing. So, I asked myself “Is she getting high of that music?”.

Are those people so depressed that they need to listen to music in order to make them happy? Are those people so anxious that they need to listen to music in order to calm them down? Is it not like a narcotic? The more you take the more you want it. In that case their depression/anxiety will only grow like a tree - when you put water on it.

Does music bring them closer to God? I believe in Islam they recommend us not to fall on this idea, because you might fall and not want to practice the religion overall.

In one book, I read “Music and poetry are two tools of Satan to destroy your soul and ruin your heart.” What do you think of that? Kind of falls on my theory. Don’t you think that music destroys their capitulation and it ruins their confidence? It’s like those pills they make for you to feel good, but then it only makes your immune system weaker. What is wrong with those people who listen to music?

music is a mind altering substance, yes.

http://dana.org/Cerebrum/2010/How_M...escendos_Thanks_to_Advances_in_Brain_Science/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/music-can-heal-the-brain/

http://musictherapy.imnf.org/services/category/inpatient-traumatic-brain-injury

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ronna-kaplan-ma/music-therapy-autism_b_2007561.html

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
The other day I went to the gym and I saw a woman, she was leaning against one of those big balloons that they have in the gym. She was listening to music. I could hear her singing and I could see her kind of dancing. So, I asked myself “Is she getting high of that music?”.

Does music bring them closer to God? I believe in Islam they recommend us not to fall on this idea, because you might fall and not want to practice the religion overall.

What is wrong with people who believe that music is the tool of Satan just because they read that in a book?

Ciao

- viole

Laika

Premium Member

I have depression and I have to say music definetely helps. :)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
There's a good discussion topic in here if we can look past the problematic framing we've been provided with. Music, like all of the arts, has been closely tied with religious practices throughout human history - a relationship which is celebrated by some, condemned by others (depending on the context, at times).

One of the aspects of Druidry that I particularly like is that there is a great love and appreciation of the bardic arts. We recognize the importance of storytelling in shaping our lives, whether it is through music, visual arts, performing arts, or what have you. And in recognizing the importance of it, we recognize the responsibilities inherent in the art of storytelling. The stories you tell yourself, the stories you listen to, the stories you tell to others shape how you relate to the world around you and how you understand it. Often we are not mindful of the stories, and yes, if you are not mindful of the stories, they can lead you and your culture astray from where you would like to be.

sovietchild

Do you not know anyone personally who enjoys music?

I do. 3 of them usually lie to me and a bit anxious, only shows how much confidence they have. Another 2 at my work who usually makes mistakes. What kind of mistakes? Do you want to know? Lets just say they had $20,000 dollars in a wrong department! and 500 hours in another!

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
One of the aspects of Druidry that I particularly like is that there is a great love and appreciation of the bardic arts.

As a musician, I love the thought of being a bard back in the day. I have a touch of Celtic blood in me on my paternal side, which ties me to druidry, though I do not know much about it.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member

Did I have a stroke? I swear I'm having a stroke. This can't be real. You can't be real.

In one book, I read “Music and poetry are two tools of Satan to destroy your soul and ruin your heart.” What do you think of that? Kind of falls on my theory. Don’t you think that music destroys their capitulation and it ruins their confidence? It’s like those pills they make for you to feel good, but then it only makes your immune system weaker.
Someone failed just all the medicine in school.

What is wrong with those people who listen to music?
I don't know, but if I'm honest you should consider something along the lines of "The hell is wrong with sovietchild?" as your next thread.

Kirran

Premium Member
I do. 3 of them usually lie to me and a bit anxious, only shows how much confidence they have. Another 2 at my work who usually makes mistakes. What kind of mistakes? Do you want to know? Lets just say they had $20,000 dollars in a wrong department! and 500 hours in another!

I listen to music. I'm not depressed, and I don't make mistakes that much, I don't think.

What do you make of devotional music? There's plenty of music which praises Allah out there.

sovietchild

As a musician, I love the thought of being a bard back in the day. I have a touch of Celtic blood in me on my paternal side, which ties me to druidry, though I do not know much about it.

I used to be a musician myself. I have an audio engineering certificate and few others. Isolation from music healed me. It's more peaceful with out music. I am more calmer and more confident.

Did the voices stop when the music stopped?

No. I still hear it when I watch youtube.

Is the OP seriously making another judgemental ******* thread?

If I were to replace wrong with right. How is it a debatable topic?

Last edited:

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

And people actually wonder why some folk don't look too kindly on Islam when those representing the faith to non-Muslims are like this. "Music and poetry are two tools of Satan to destroy your soul and ruin your heart"? Seriously?!

You're just giving the impression that your religion wants to suck the joy out of life and reduce us all to dreary automatons mindlessly praising Allah.