• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with some people?

Audie

Veteran Member
I can’t watch videos that show any animal torture. I once saw a video of a Chinese street kitchen where the “chef” was tossing live kittens into boiling water, and within seconds pulling them out and skinning them for food. It was the first confirmation of what I had heard about Asian attitudes towards animals. I am still sick to my stomach.
My Asian attitude toward animals is,
" be kind to animals by not eating them".

Or confining them to tiny cages for months
or years as per brood sows or chickens.

It's not clear to me if you object to
eating kittens as such, or the near- instantaneous
way they were killed.

The " inhumanity" in American pig farming
and slaughter is incomparably worse.

FTM, chickens are wonderful animals as anyone
who has had a pet chicken knows.

I strenuously object to your invidious condemnation
of "Asians"- as if I am a Cambodian or Paki or we are all alike.

AND As if Americans or Euros had some moral high
ground from which to condemn ( all) Asians.

I thought you were better than that

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
When something about life that is different than the way you do stuff is labelled as 'wrong'... well, what does that have to say about whom?
Once upon a time a colleague came to me about her student doing subtraction the WRONG way. Once I watched, I discovered he had been taught a different algorithm. For the life of me, I couldn't explain it to the colleague, as her mind was set. So the poor little fellow spent a couple of days after school being taught the RIGHT way. As if moving countries wasn't enough stress already.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I can’t watch videos that show any animal torture. I once saw a video of a Chinese street kitchen where the “chef” was tossing live kittens into boiling water, and within seconds pulling them out and skinning them for food. It was the first confirmation of what I had heard about Asian attitudes towards animals. I am still sick to my stomach.
I saw those on the news series Witness. I think it was from the CBC where they don't censor the images.

It upset me for a long time but reminds me we are animals on this planet with no more or less violence done on its prey in the quest to eat it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

way they were killed.

I think there is truth that a society reflects itself on how it treats its animals.

Little Dragon

Veggie takes this one step further since who wants to assimilate the spirit of a vegetable; pretty but inanimate pea brain. Eat for flavor and nutrition.
Fascinating.

I know of a few vegetable spirit assimilation enthusiasts, these pretty inanimate pea brains include a few famous names you might recognise.
Albert Einstein, Sir Issac Newton, Leonardo da Vinci, Nikola Tesla, Pythagaros and a number of others.

A right bunch of idiots...

I would be a vegetarian, but I would die. I am a Dragon.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Among the top 10 countries in the world by the number of pets owned, there are four Asian ones:

Also, eating cats and dogs is not a common practice in China, as shown by this survey (among other sources). It does happen, but it's not a population-wide practice as some would claim.

I think it's crucial to avoid overgeneralizations about entire countries when pointing out problems that need to be addressed. Animal abuse deserves utmost condemnation, but I wouldn't say that it characterizes an "Asian attitude" toward animals—supposedly the attitude of the world's most populous continent.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't really have issues with people eating these animals just because it is a dog or a shark, obviously not to extinction, and wouldn't eat it myself. But I have problems with how they treat animals, they ought to respect them more. There is no reason for her to treat them badly except that it is probably easier for her and she doesn't give a rat's *** about them.

But that to me applies to all animals we eat, they should be treated well and respectfully. For instance, killing sharks just to eat their fins etc. is extremely disrespectful I think, if you can barely eat anything of an animal or they are at risk of extinction then eat something else.

I think of animal abusers the same way I think of violent bullies: They are often people who derive some sort of pathological satisfaction from inflicting pain and suffering on a weaker living, feeling being. Either that or they are so horrendously ignorant that they minimize or underestimate animals' capacity to experience pain and suffering.

Also, many animal abusers are well aware of the extent of suffering that their actions inflict on animals but simply don't care because they make a profit from their practices. Many industrial meat farms and slaughterhouses are examples of this, where producing more and more meat to make more money tends to take precedence over consideration of animal rights and humane standards. It is indeed sickening.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Nothing else switches on the reptilian part of my brain, like a sadist. Cowards.

When I was conscripted, I befriended cats that genuinely made my time in service much more tolerable. All anyone had to do was treat them well, and they would become unconditionally affectionate friends. One of them followed me around the unit and would sleep in my lap.

The only reason I can think of for anyone to intentionally inflict suffering on them is some deeply pathological drive.

Little Dragon

When I was conscripted, I befriended cats that genuinely made my time in service much more tolerable. All anyone had to do was treat them well, and they would become unconditionally affectionate friends.

The only reason I can think of for anyone to intentionally inflict suffering on them is some deeply pathological drive.
Was watching a youtube vid a few weeks ago, some Ukrainian soldiers running for their lives from mortars, with some dirty and bewildered cats they had rescued just before the shells started landing, tucked under their arms.

Nimos

I think of animal abusers the same way I think of violent bullies: They are often people who derive some sort of pathological satisfaction from inflicting pain and suffering on a weaker living, feeling being. Either that or they are so horrendously ignorant that they minimize or underestimate animals' capacity to experience pain and suffering.

Also, many animal abusers are well aware of the extent of suffering that their actions inflict on animals but simply don't care because they make a profit from their practices. Many industrial meat farms and slaughterhouses are examples of this, where producing more and more meat to make more money tends to take precedence over consideration of animal rights and humane standards. It is indeed sickening.
I don't think the woman in the video sees herself as an animal abuser, also no one around her reacts to it so I think it is more of a cultural thing, that they just don't give a ****, an animal is a product like a TV or whatever. If someone rode around with dogs like this in Denmark, they would be arrested if not beaten senseless by the first person who saw it.

F1fan

Veteran Member

way they were killed.

I'm sorry you're upset. If you read my post completely you will see that I was referring to traditions in Asia that are inhumane. Even @Shadow Wolf noted how dogs are special to humans as an animal species since they evolved with our species, yet Koreans still eat dog meat. It was noted that South Korea is phasing this tradition out.

As far as the morality of slaughtering animals, that is the fuzzy question that any society has to resolve. I've seen videos of slaughterhouses in the USA and can say it's quite difficult to accept. Is ethical standards in the USA ideal? No. But it isn't at the level of boiling animals alive.
A lot of that going around.

Among the top 10 countries in the world by the number of pets owned, there are four Asian ones:

Also, eating cats and dogs is not a common practice in China, as shown by this survey (among other sources). It does happen, but it's not a population-wide practice as some would claim.

I think it's crucial to avoid overgeneralizations about entire countries when pointing out problems that need to be addressed. Animal abuse deserves utmost condemnation, but I wouldn't say that it characterizes an "Asian attitude" toward animals—supposedly the attitude of the world's most populous continent.
My comment was in the specific cases of animal cruelty. I always want to think the best of people in general and the reminders that humans often fall short of it, and fall back on tradition. Tradition is hard to change.

Audie

Veteran Member
I'm sorry you're upset. If you read my post completely you will see that I was referring to traditions in Asia that are inhumane. Even @Shadow Wolf noted how dogs are special to humans as an animal species since they evolved with our species, yet Koreans still eat dog meat. It was noted that South Korea is phasing this tradition out.

As far as the morality of slaughtering animals, that is the fuzzy question that any society has to resolve. I've seen videos of slaughterhouses in the USA and can say it's quite difficult to accept. Is ethical standards in the USA ideal? No. But it isn't at the level of boiling animals alive.

A lot of that going around.

My comment was in the specific cases of animal cruelty. I always want to think the best of people in general and the reminders that humans often fall short of it, and fall back on tradition. Tradition is hard to change.
You're the one with the emotive
post..." sick to stomach".

Don't say " Asian" cultures if you don't
want to be called on it.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think the woman in the video sees herself as an animal abuser, also no one around her reacts to it so I think it is more of a cultural thing, that they just don't give a ****, an animal is a product like a TV or whatever. If someone rode around with dogs like this in Denmark, they would be arrested if not beaten senseless by the first person who saw it.

I don't know whether it could be said to be a cultural thing, since that typically implies a countrywide attitude. Where I live, there are some people who abuse animals whether because of lack of concern or because they consider the animals' feelings secondary to their own obtainment of meat and don't bother observing basic humane standards of animal treatment. At the same time, there are many people, including poor ones, who are notably kind to animals and, for example, share food with them even when they themselves don't have much of it.

The variation in bystanders' reactions to animal abuse seems to me contingent on many variables that don't necessarily have to do with the overall culture of the country, although I think it's possible for cultural attitudes toward animals to also vary within the same country and between different cities or towns, especially in large countries like China and India. This is a major part of why I'm cautious about judging a whole culture based on these abusive examples when I know for a fact that much kinder examples exist.

Also, I think a significant number of people treat or at least think of animals like mere products, as you put it, even if we don't see that in such a strikingly cruel video and even if the animals are not necessarily dogs and cats, so I believe that this perception of animals is present throughout practically every continent in the world. Most countries on the list of the highest rates of meat consumption per capita in the world are outside of Asia, and industrial animal farms contain some of the most abusive practices one could imagine. This is not to equate meat production or consumption with abuse by default, as I don't believe that would be accurate, but when such a high output of meat production is required to fulfill demand, the abuse only becomes more widespread because industrial farms tend to become, first and foremost, mass-producing, money-printing enterprises with only secondary regard for animal welfare.

By now, many people have already at least heard of some of the abuses that happen in industrial farms, but many who are able to buy from more humane sources don't care enough to do so. I think that sometimes (but certainly not always, as there are many factors involved in the perception of such farms and in people's buying habits) indicates one degree or another of seeing animals as mere products or little more than that.