• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What "if" you are wrong

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yet the "effort" is just a suspension of reason, and ignoring the lack of facts. The writings are vague, poorly written, and offer no real guidance. The "effort" has no method. It has no taught wisdom how to be guided. It doesn't include any rules how to discern the believer is actually being guided by God, and not just some illusion. Baha'i claims the believer can't communicate with God, so what exactly informs the believer that God is guiding them?

Inevitably the Baha'i believer is an independent agent (because Baha'u'llah is dead and God is absent) and the path is one of blind guesswork. I had a better impression of Baha'i until I engaged with them. Sorry but they seem to be a lost crowd looking for approval. As much Baha'i make their claims of truth their actions leave a sour taste.
You have lots of personal opinions, we all have those, but personal opinions are not facts.

There is no 'lack of facts' surrounding the Baha'i Faith. There are enough facts to sink a ship.
What you think those facts mean is up to you. We all see things differently.

F1fan

Veteran Member
You have lots of personal opinions, we all have those, but personal opinions are not facts.
Opinions can range from being baseless and false to being highly fact-base and valid.

Whatever opinion is presented in religious debate the advantage falls on the side of those who don’t assume religious views are by default true. The lack of evidence is the fatal blow to any religious claim and belief.

There is no 'lack of facts' surrounding the Baha'i Faith. There are enough facts to sink a ship.
What you think those facts mean is up to you. We all see things differently.
You see facts where there are none. Facts aren’t debatable, they are true and verifiable by any neutral mind. Believers notoriously claim facts and evidence that do not meet the criteria set by logic and reason.

The only ship sunk is Baha’i as truth. None of the Baha’i that you have cited present evidence or a coherent explanation that it’s true or truth.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Even when we think it is highly probable that velociraptors no longer exist, we know from experience that there have been occasions where we have encountered species we believed to be extinct.

I can't tell if you're:

- agreeing that an absence of evidence for velociraptors is evidence - albeit not conclusive evidence - that velociraptors are extinct, or

- disagreeing that an absence of evidence for velociraptors is evidence that velociraptors are extinct (and presumably live in fear of an imminent velociraptor attack).

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Opinions can range from being baseless and false to being highly fact-base and valid.
True. Opinions about the ancient religions of the past are not fact-based the way the opinions about the Baha'i Faith are.
Whatever opinion is presented in religious debate the advantage falls on the side of those who don’t assume religious views are by default true. The lack of evidence is the fatal blow to any religious claim and belief.
I cannot speak for other religious believers but I never assumed anything was true. I investigated the religion and then I believed the claims were true.
There is no lack of evidence for the Baha'i Faith, there is only lack of proof. No religion can be proven to be true.
You see facts where there are none. Facts aren’t debatable, they are true and verifiable by any neutral mind. Believers notoriously claim facts and evidence that do not meet the criteria set by logic and reason.
I see facts and evidence because there are facts and evidence. What you think those facts and evidence mean is another matter.
The only ship sunk is Baha’i as truth.
Only in your mind has the Baha'i Faith sunk as truth, but that doesn't prove anything except that you have the ability to think.
But you keep making the same mistake, presenting a personal opinion as if it was a proven fact.
None of the Baha’i that you have cited present evidence or a coherent explanation that it’s true or truth.
We have presented the evidence but it is not OUR JOB to evaluate that evidence for you.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Depending on the job, there might be other ways of proving someone was there, such as if they have to log in to a computer terminal or do any kind of documentation, log entries, etc. which could prove that they were working that day. It might take a bit more digging and looking in to other possibilities.
Agreed. I don't think this contradicts what I wrote. Yes, if an employee can produce evidence that he worked, he should be paid. If he has a job where logging into a computer does the same thing as a time card, then that's the expected evidence the absence of which is evidence that he didn't do the kind of working that requires logging in.

On the other hand, if he has an out-of-office job where there is no evidence of when he worked even when he does, then the absence of evidence for his claim that he worked is expected and consistent with his claim. Of course, such a job probably wouldn't be hourly, and the boss's evidence that he is getting the job done is what he produces.
Another example might be police detectives trying to solve a crime. Sometimes, they might have to think in terms of "unexpected" evidence or do some real digging to investigate a crime. Of course, the criminal is going to try to cover their tracks and eliminate as much evidence as they can, so the absence of evidence can sometimes be deceiving.
Once again, decisions will be made based on the evidence available. Absence of evidence that a given suspect committed a given crime doesn't mean that he is innocent, but if evidence would be expected that is not found, that's good (but inconclusive) evidence of innocence.
if a thing has no expected evidence, then a lack of evidence is still entirely consistent with the thing not existing
Agreed, but not a basis for saying that the think likely doesn't exist. Consider the deist god, for whom we would expect no evidence and have none. All we can say about that god is that the claim that it does exist is both unfalsifiable and not demonstrable, so the calim cannot be called correct or incorrect. It's "not even wrong."

On the other hand, an interventionist god like the Abrahamic god ought to leave evidence of its existence, evidence we don't find. The claim that that god answers prayer is testable and has been tested. The failure to generate a detectible material benefit to prayer is evidence that this god isn't answering prayer which I think you'd agree is evidence that it doesn't exist.
All of His words and All of His life.
So his every word and deed reveals that he is truly channeling a deity for you? None of it does for me.

Or maybe you are saying that none of it by itself is evidence for a god, but all of it considered collectively is. Kind of like a lifetime achievement award? Baha'u'llah says and does nothing impressive on any given day or in any given year, but all of it together reveals divinity? Is that a way of saying that one needs to know everything he said and did before one can know that he was an authentic messenger? If so, it's not a very effective message.

You wrote, "I thoroughly investigated the person, the history, and the claims of Baha'u'llah before I believed that He was who He claimed to be." That means that you read every word he wrote and knew his biography in detail before believing he channeled a god, correct? That's more than I would do. I'd need to see what believers called their most compelling pieces of evidence.
There is no way to verify that a Messenger of God got messages from an unverifiable God.
All gods are unverifiable.

Furthermore, you seem to be saying that what the messenger said and did verifies that he was channeling a god.
what Messengers of God can understand is far above the capacity of our minds
I have no reason to believe that. None have ever said or written a word that doesn't seem very human. Nothing ever written in and scripture or in any other piece of literature doesn't sound human.
what you are trying to do is apply logic to that which is far above and beyond human logical reasoning.
Yes, you said that that's what you believe. Those that taught you that want is for you to abandon reason. They need you to do that to believe that which can only be believed by faith. They praise faith as a virtue and disesteem empiricism and critical thought. But faith is not a virtue. It's the opposite. It's the least examined kind of thinking possible.

Critical thinking is our only defense against accumulating unfalsifiable beliefs of the "not even wrong" variety and false beliefs. Those that would ask you to lower your shields and let ideas in based on the claim that reasoning cannot be applied to them can be safely disregarded.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I can't tell if you're:

- agreeing that an absence of evidence for velociraptors is evidence - albeit not conclusive evidence - that velociraptors are extinct, or

- disagreeing that an absence of evidence for velociraptors is evidence that velociraptors are extinct (and presumably live in fear of an imminent velociraptor attack).
I'm saying that I do not believe velociraptors exist, but that this cannot be a 100% sure belief. There is always that chance, no matter how small, that we might find one in the wild.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm saying that I do not believe velociraptors exist, but that this cannot be a 100% sure belief. There is always that chance, no matter how small, that we might find one in the wild.

And you believe that the chance of velociraptors is small because an absence of evidence is evidence of absence.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
And you believe that the chance of velociraptors is small because an absence of evidence is evidence of absence.
Correct. Small chance, but still possible. It is only as small as it is because humans have basically taken over virtually the entire planet and we aren't going to find any velociraptor in the ally by the apartment complex. There really isn't a whole lot of wild terrain left. But never say never.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So his every word and deed reveals that he is truly channeling a deity for you? None of it does for me.

Or maybe you are saying that none of it by itself is evidence for a god, but all of it considered collectively is. Kind of like a lifetime achievement award? Baha'u'llah says and does nothing impressive on any given day or in any given year, but all of it together reveals divinity? Is that a way of saying that one needs to know everything he said and did before one can know that he was an authentic messenger? If so, it's not a very effective message.
I do not think the way you think. I think you need to understand that before we go on. I now believe that Baha'u'llah is evidence for God but that is not how I approached my belief in the Baha'i Faith, which is what I did when I originally joined the Baha'i Faith. I did not think in terms of 'evidence for God', I thought in terms of what I deemed to be the truth, a true religion.

You are correct in saying that none of it by itself is evidence for a God, but all of it considered collectively is.
Then we have to ask: All of of what? The answer is all of the Baha'i Faith, not just the life and message of Baha'u'llah.

No, one does not need to know everything he said and did before one can know that he was an authentic messenger. I still do not know tat after over 53 years of being a Baha'i.
You wrote, "I thoroughly investigated the person, the history, and the claims of Baha'u'llah before I believed that He was who He claimed to be." That means that you read every word he wrote and knew his biography in detail before believing he channeled a god, correct? That's more than I would do. I'd need to see what believers called their most compelling pieces of evidence.
"I thoroughly investigated the person, the history, and the claims of Baha'u'llah before I believed that He was who He claimed to be."

I do not know what post you are quoting me from, so I don't know where I said that in order to see the context. I am not saying I did not say that, only that I cannot find it because it is not in the post I wrote that you are replying to.

I might have said that before, but to be clear, I did not thoroughly investigate the person, the history, and the claims of Baha'u'llah before I believed that He was who He claimed to be. Some Baha'is may have had to do that but I did not have to. We are all different in how we come to believe in Baha'u'llah.

Please bear in mind tat I never thought in terms of whether He was channeling a deity or not, but when I first read Gleanings with a serious intent about 10 years ago, I knew that He was speaking for God, which means that He received a message from God.

So I guess I would have to say that Gleanings was the most compelling evidence for me. The person and the life and mission of Baha'u'llah are quite impressive, but those were not necessary for me to believe. Much later, when getting into discussions with Christians, I realized hat Baha'u'llah had fulfilled the Bible prophecies for the return of Christ and that alone would have convinced me of the truth of His claims even if I had nothing else!
All gods are unverifiable.

Furthermore, you seem to be saying that what the messenger said and did verifies that he was channeling a god.
No, I never said that. In fact, I have always said that any claim of 'channeling a God' is unverifiable.
Logically speaking, if we can never verify that God exists, which is what I have said repeatedly, how could we ever verify that an alleged Messenger was channeling a God?
I have no reason to believe that. None have ever said or written a word that doesn't seem very human. Nothing ever written in and scripture or in any other piece of literature doesn't sound human.
What His Writings sound like to one person will not be what they sound like to another person since we are all thinking with different minds.

That said, if we only look at the Writings and nothing else about the Baha'i Faith, including the two other central figures of the Baha'i Faith, Baha'u'llah's son Abdu'l-Baha and the Guardian Shoghi Effendi, we cannot get the full picture. I read many other books about the Baha'i Faith before I seriously embarked upon reading the Writings of Baha'u'llah.
Yes, you said that that's what you believe. Those that taught you that want is for you to abandon reason. They need you to do that to believe that which can only be believed by faith. They praise faith as a virtue and disesteem empiricism and critical thought. But faith is not a virtue. It's the opposite. It's the least examined kind of thinking possible.

Critical thinking is our only defense against accumulating unfalsifiable beliefs of the "not even wrong" variety and false beliefs. Those that would ask you to lower your shields and let ideas in based on the claim that reasoning cannot be applied to them can be safely disregarded.
I said: "what you are trying to do is apply logic to that which is far above and beyond human logical reasoning. "

You are not replying to what I said but rather you are going off on a tangent and getting on your atheist critical thinking soap box.
If you believe that there is nothing that is far above and beyond human logical reasoning just say so, and then we can discuss why you believe that.

I believe that faith is a virtue since that is what God wants us to have. It is as simple as that.
Not only that, but any logical person would realize that faith is necessary to believe in a God that can never be proven to exist empirically.
If you choose not to believe on the basis of faith and the evidence that God has provided that's fine, but don't pretend that is logical, because it isn't.

Because religious texts are basic evolved social rules that humans slowly put into words as languages develpoped...
Sorry, I have no reason to believe that, at least not in the case of the Bible.
...Using God was one way primitive people were able to scare the masses into obedience.
To me that shows one does not understand what is said in the Bible.
Today secular laws are enforced by the agreed upon civil authority, no need for a God or idol to be set above the community.
Now the governments are the idol, set above the community. By what I see, it doesn't work well.
But notice how few of the laws in the Old Testament are not used today, and would even be crimes if committed.
I don't think any Biblical law is used today. It seems to me that this has come true:

and because of the abounding of the lawlessness, the love of the many shall become cold;
Matt. 24:12

And Biblical law is basically this:

Therefore whatever you desire for men to do to you, you shall also do to them; for this is the law and the prophets.
Matt. 7:12
Yet many Christians don't love others. Is it they don't understand what love is, or just don't care, or disrespect the Bible and God, or what?
That is a good question.
Look at the "stand your ground" laws in conservative states. Obviously killing isn't all that frowned upon. If they really wanted fewer deaths they would set stricter gun laws instead.
Stricter gun laws don't prevent murder, they only prevent decent people to protect themselves. Criminals don't care about such laws anyway and they will have guns regardless of any law. But, obviously the point of the gun laws is to help criminals and to oppress common people, not to protect anyone else, except the corrupt regime that fears common people don't submit to their tyranny.
And don't forget, since you are a Bible literalist, God created evil.
Evil is like emptiness, it is nothing, it is the lack of good. It needs not to be created, it is formed, when good is rejected. And, although evil is not nice, I think it is great that God gave the freedom to choose.
Theists had divine rules for millennia and the Enlightenment realized it doesn't work and advocated for secular rule.
What exactly didn't work? And why do you think so?
God (theists) are too unreliable to rule societies. Just look at the chaos and harm conservatives on the Supreme Court and Red States are causing to women and their reproductive care.
I don't see any chaos and harm, if people can't freely murder their babies.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
It was to show one example of things that I don't think depends on is God real or not.

Yes. A very very strategically chosen example. Aka cherry picking.

And I think you agreed that it does not change. I think there are many things in the Bible, that don't change, even if God would not be real.
And many more things DO change.
But you seem to be doing your best to ignore those.

I think it is dishonest to cut parts out of context.

So do I. So tell us all this "context" in which it is morally okay to engage in infanticide, genocide, homophobia, ... And don't forget: you need to explain this regardless of a god existing or not.

The don't murder is what it is, because it is repeated and it has clear meaning. "Stone someone" is related to the context, which makes it little different. I mean with this, the second highest rule in the Bible is that people should love others. That supersedes any other rule. "Don't murder" fits to that well.

So when this god orders infanticide, genocide, stoning adulturers, killing gay people when they have sex, keeping slaves, etc.....
Then those can be safely ignored because it "breaks" this "love others" rule?
Meaning that the bible has immoral commandments which violate its very own other commandments?
Meaning that it holds bad teachings?

You didn't think this true at all, did you?

If you love others, you don't murder them. But, obviously there is death penalty for certain things.

Ow? Is that "obvious"? I don't think that's "obvious" at all. My default moral position on death penalty is that it is immoral and barbaric.

The problem with that is, for those who desire to kill others, that not everyone is a judge set by God.

God? I thought we were discussing the value of bible teachings regardless of gods existing or not....

And for those who are judges, God gave certain rules, which is why even a judge, can't kill people arbitrarily, without just reason.

So tell us all the "just reason" for killing homosexuals because they had sex, stoning adulturers, stoning disobedient children, engaging in infanticide / genocide,...

You need to stop cherry picking the obvious, avoiding issues with vague non-explanatory references to some mysterious "context" and tackle the actual moral issues head-on.

Obviously you could think that in no case is death penalty right. I think it is not bad, if God kills evil, unrighteous people.

Again: I thought we were discussing the value of the bible regardless of a god existing.
Also, it's not god doing the stoning, the hanging and engaging in infanticide / genocide. It's humans, claiming to act on behalf of a god.

God has given life, therefore He has right to decide how long life He gives. I think even a short life is a great gift. And I hope people use it wisely, and don't do stupid things.
Again: we were discussing the value of bible teachings regardless of gods existing. And yet, you keep referring back to this god over and over.
I think that tells us all we need to know about your previous statement that teachings are "good" regardless of god existing.

Now, you are simply invoking "divine command theory" to make moral judgements. "the authority can do what it pleases and I am not in a position to morally judge it".

This is what I call moral bankrupcy.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
No, I do not just believe them.

I thoroughly investigated the person, the history, and the claims of Baha'u'llah before I believed that He was who He claimed to be.

There is no way to verify that a Messenger of God got messages from an unverifiable God. Think about why.
What you are telling me is consistent with you just believing them, though.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Agreed. I don't think this contradicts what I wrote. Yes, if an employee can produce evidence that he worked, he should be paid. If he has a job where logging into a computer does the same thing as a time card, then that's the expected evidence the absence of which is evidence that he didn't do the kind of working that requires logging in.

On the other hand, if he has an out-of-office job where there is no evidence of when he worked even when he does, then the absence of evidence for his claim that he worked is expected and consistent with his claim. Of course, such a job probably wouldn't be hourly, and the boss's evidence that he is getting the job done is what he produces.

Once again, decisions will be made based on the evidence available. Absence of evidence that a given suspect committed a given crime doesn't mean that he is innocent, but if evidence would be expected that is not found, that's good (but inconclusive) evidence of innocence.

Yes, although if someone (especially if they're in a position of authority) says "there is no evidence," someone might respond "Well, did you even bother to look?"

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
if we can never verify that God exists, which is what I have said repeatedly, how could we ever verify that an alleged Messenger was channeling a God?
You say that you have evidence for this god, and that that evidence is the life and words of the messenger. But then you walk that back and say that evidence is not proof, and that in the end you believe by faith. What you call evidence plays no role in this process. You want it both ways. You want to say that nobody can verify that a god exists, but that you have evidence that one does. When asked to show what that evidence looks like, you present no examples. You just say, "all of it," which is not evidence at all.
If you believe that there is nothing that is far above and beyond human logical reasoning just say so
What I said was that there is nothing that should be believed uncritically. Furthermore, I know of no idea that cannot be evaluated critically. Somebody tells me that there is a transcendent deity that I cannot detect or understand, and that I need to stop thinking and just believe, because that's what pleases his god. But this person doesn't know any more about gods or what they want than I or anybody else does. He's fallen down a rabbit hole from which there is no escape without critical thinking.
I believe that faith is a virtue since that is what God wants us to have. It is as simple as that.
Yes, I know you do just as you know that I believe the opposite. What you just wrote is a consequence of the willingness to believe without sufficient evidence to justify that belief. First, one accepts that the god exists, and then he accepts what others say this god wants. You say, "It is as simple as that." I think that's too simple.
Yes, although if someone (especially if they're in a position of authority) says "there is no evidence," someone might respond "Well, did you even bother to look?"
I think we're talking past one another now. I'm not talking about collecting evidence. I'm talking about the significance of absent evidence. If we do a thorough investigation of a situation in which we would expect to find evidence if such-and-such had occurred, that absence is significant. If we never looked, then no evidence would be expected, and its absence is not significant for the purpose of deciding what had likely transpired.

Do you agree that the absence of expected evidence is evidence of absence, but that if no evidence is expected, then its absence is not evidence of absence? If so, we're in agreement.

Two examples, one hypothetical:

[1] You're expecting a call from a reliable and responsible loved one at a certain time based in an earlier agreement. The call never comes. That's significant. That's evidence that something is wrong. Contrast that with another day in which you are not expecting a call and get none. That's not evidence of a problem.

[2] I play bridge online with a friend a few mornings a week according to a schedule. On the days we've agreed to play, I send him an email that morning with the same subject every time: "Bridge at 8:30?" I expect a reply before 8:30. We do this to affirm to one another that we are both aware that this morning is a bridge morning and that we both have Internet today. On mornings we expect to play, that email is expected evidence, and its absence is significant. On other mornings, when no email is expected, it's absence has no significance.

Now lets go back to where we started. Two posters wrote conflicting statements, one saying that the absence of evidence as evidence of absence, and the other saying it was not. That's when I offered my take on it, which I've repeated above.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Sorry, I have no reason to believe that, at least not in the case of the Bible.
Then you reject what experts have studied and have reported, and you offer no reason otehr than how you were conditioned to believe by society.
To me that shows one does not understand what is said in the Bible.
Yet you have a pattern of rejecting expert research and conclusions that are based on evidence, and prefer a belief that makes many assumptions that not only lack evidence, but are contrary to evidence. For example there are no gods known to exist, yet you have decided that what the Bible claims is true at face value, and can't defend that sort of interprtation.
Now the governments are the idol, set above the community. By what I see, it doesn't work well.
False. Religions still have their idols, like Jesus Christ, the cross, God, etc. Governments ain secular nations design their structure to manage the diversity of their populations. The funny thing here is that if you claim government is the idol and it's bad, and you admit that religion has its idols, then religions are bad as well. What are you left with? Anarchy?
I don't think any Biblical law is used today. It seems to me that this has come true:

and because of the abounding of the lawlessness, the love of the many shall become cold;
Matt. 24:12

And Biblical law is basically this:

Therefore whatever you desire for men to do to you, you shall also do to them; for this is the law and the prophets.
Matt. 7:12
This is vague. Is this all you have as an alternative to secular law? Is setting speed limits and creating a limit on how much toxic waste a factory can dump in a river "lawlessness" in your view?
That is a good question.
Good. Why do you think so many of your fellow Christians fail to love others as commanded by Jesus? It's worse than just being mean people, it is the deliberate deafness to the needs of the many, like women who can't get the reproductive healthcare they need due to vague laws passed by Christian extremists. Explain what you want to see happen to these laws that cause harm.
Stricter gun laws don't prevent murder, they only prevent decent people to protect themselves.
Right, it's too late to stop gun violence since the gun lobby has been so successful in preventing laws. But it's like saying that if we limit pollution today it won't result in clean air tomorrow morning, so why bother? We bother because tomorrow isn't the aim, it is the safety of the next generation, maybe 10 years from now. Conservatives have this massive short-sightedness where it comes to solving problems. They want immediate results, and if it can't hapven they don't bother. Conservatives lack vision and long-term planning skill.
Criminals don't care about such laws anyway and they will have guns regardless of any law.
And lax gun laws over the last few decades made it all possible. Easy gun access came from lax gun laws.
But, obviously the point of the gun laws is to help criminals and to oppress common people, not to protect anyone else, except the corrupt regime that fears common people don't submit to their tyranny.
This is an absurd claim. I was a gun dealer back in the 890's and even after the Brady law came along it only limited those who could buy new guns from dealers. It didn't stop gun owners from selling their old guns to any one who had the cash, and this was even criminals. I sold a revolver to a friend and at some point he sold it to someone, who ten sold it to someone else, and it was eventually used in a robbery. My friend passed the background check, but who he sold it to, and then the next guy didn't have to pass anything. Major flaw in the law that could have been passed. It could be that any gun had to go through a dealer and subject the buyer to a background check, and that would weed out criminals fast, not you average Joe public.
Evil is like emptiness, it is nothing, it is the lack of good. It needs not to be created, it is formed, when good is rejected. And, although evil is not nice, I think it is great that God gave the freedom to choose.
Would you say the Lutherans and Catholics who committed the Holocaust were empty and evil? Why didn't the light of Christ prevent their acts?
What exactly didn't work? And why do you think so?
For one the divine right of kings meant that a king could do anything he wants. Look at Trump claiming he has immunity from the crimes he committed as president and afterwards. He is wrong, but it illustrates the abuse anyone who claims to represent God is above any law created by government and secular law. And look at how republicans in Oklahoma passed a law to ban Sharia law from being enforced. This was a bogus threat but the Christians in government wanted to use their status as Christians in government to smack down Muslims in America.

Secular law means protection for pagans, atheists, Muslims, Hindus, and any other non-Christian group. From what we see with many Christian extremists would use government authority against anyone else. So secular law is superior to what theocracy would impose on the citizens.
I don't see any chaos and harm, if people can't freely murder their babies.
This is a statement that reveals you don't fully understand the issue. Again, you are conditioned by what Christian extremism has imposed on your thinking. The fact is the extreme laws that ban abortion services are even affecting women whose pregnancies are in crisis and can't get the medicare they need, thus putting their lives in danger.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think we're talking past one another now. I'm not talking about collecting evidence. I'm talking about the significance of absent evidence. If we do a thorough investigation of a situation in which we would expect to find evidence if such-and-such had occurred, that absence is significant. If we never looked, then no evidence would be expected, and its absence is not significant for the purpose of deciding what had likely transpired.

Do you agree that the absence of expected evidence is evidence of absence, but that if no evidence is expected, then its absence is not evidence of absence? If so, we're in agreement.

As a general rule of thumb, I would agree with this. Although I'm hesitant to state outright that the absence of expected evidence could lead to any conclusive or final answer. I'm perfectly content to leave some things in the realm of mystery if the evidence is lacking. Although I can see where there's also a human desire to find the answers and come up with some kind of conclusion.

Two examples, one hypothetical:

[1] You're expecting a call from a reliable and responsible loved one at a certain time based in an earlier agreement. The call never comes. That's significant. That's evidence that something is wrong. Contrast that with another day in which you are not expecting a call and get none. That's not evidence of a problem.

[2] I play bridge online with a friend a few mornings a week according to a schedule. On the days we've agreed to play, I send him an email that morning with the same subject every time: "Bridge at 8:30?" I expect a reply before 8:30. We do this to affirm to one another that we are both aware that this morning is a bridge morning and that we both have Internet today. On mornings we expect to play, that email is expected evidence, and its absence is significant. On other mornings, when no email is expected, it's absence has no significance.

Now lets go back to where we started. Two posters wrote conflicting statements, one saying that the absence of evidence as evidence of absence, and the other saying it was not. That's when I offered my take on it, which I've repeated above.

I guess it might depend on the nature of the discussion. I think that our adversarial legal system has influenced public debates in such a way that winning the debate is more important any genuine, good-faith effort to reach the truth.

Of course, when it comes mundane things like an expected phone call or missing out on expected plans, it could mean an emergency has occurred or simple forgetfulness - or any number of other possibilities. If they said "something suddenly came up" as an excuse for missing the appointment, you probably wouldn't ask for further evidence on that (although I probably wouldn't be happy about someone blowing me off or flaking out).

But in the example of an employee missing work, the employer may request some sort of medical excuse from a doctor as evidence that the employee really was sick and not just playing hooky.

When the stakes are even higher, such as accusing someone of a crime, then one would be expected to produce verifiable, solid evidence.

When it comes to more religious topics, such as whether or not there is a god or a creator, I consider that more of an abstraction - more in the realm of human imagination and philosophical thought processes. People believe as they wish and may have certain values and ideals, and somehow, their perceptions of the reality around them lead them to believe that there must be something more, some greater or higher power that they may not understand or be able to prove with evidence, but still have some reason to believe.

So, I do agree that the absence of evidence is evidence of absence, but if someone claims something to be true without evidence, then why would they say it? They might have a reason to believe it to be true, which would ostensibly be enough evidence in their mind, but perhaps not enough when put under objective examination. So, I guess it's a matter of trying to determine if there is an absence of evidence to begin with.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You say that you have evidence for this god, and that that evidence is the life and words of the messenger. But then you walk that back and say that evidence is not proof, and that in the end you believe by faith.
No, I said that the Messengers of God are the evidence for God. The person, life, and works of the Messengers are the evidence that they are Messengers.

I have always said that evidence is not proof, and that I believe in God on faith and evidence, since there can never be proof that God exists.

Here are the definitions again, so you can see the difference between evidence and proof.

Evidence: the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid: https://www.google.com/search

Evidence is anything that you see, experience, read, or are told that causes you to believe that something is true or has really happened.
Objective evidence definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

Proof: evidence or argument establishing or helping to establish a fact or the truth of a statement: https://www.google.com/search
What you call evidence plays no role in this process. You want it both ways. You want to say that nobody can verify that a god exists, but that you have evidence that one does.
I don't want anything 'both ways.' I have evidence but no proof. How many times do I have to say that before it finally sinks in?
You are a very intelligent man, I know that, and this is really not that difficult, if you understand the difference between evidence and proof.

There are many kinds of evidence, and not all evidence is verifiable. Verifiable evidence is proof because it establishes something as a fact.

Fact: something that is known to have happened or to exist, especially something for which proof exists, or about which there is information:
fact

Nobody can verify that a God exists because there is no proof thus the existence of God can never be established as a fact....
Then what do we do? What options do we have? All we can do is believe in God on faith and evidence or not believe at all.
When asked to show what that evidence looks like, you present no examples. You just say, "all of it," which is not evidence at all.
I have presented examples but then you say "that's not evidence."
All of it IS the evidence, just like in a court of law when all the evidence is presented before the jury.
What I said was that there is nothing that should be believed uncritically. Furthermore, I know of no idea that cannot be evaluated critically. Somebody tells me that there is a transcendent deity that I cannot detect or understand, and that I need to stop thinking and just believe, because that's what pleases his god. But this person doesn't know any more about gods or what they want than I or anybody else does. He's fallen down a rabbit hole from which there is no escape without critical thinking.
I am not suggesting that you evaluate the evidence uncritically. I am saying the exact opposite, and Baha'u'llah said the same thing!

“Bahá’u’lláh asked no one to accept His statements and His tokens blindly. On the contrary, He put in the very forefront of His teachings emphatic warnings against blind acceptance of authority, and urged all to open their eyes and ears, and use their own judgement, independently and fearlessly, in order to ascertain the truth. He enjoined the fullest investigation and never concealed Himself, offering, as the supreme proofs of His Prophethood, His words and works and their effects in transforming the lives and characters of men.” Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era, p. 8

You have made a straw man.
I never told you that you need to stop thinking and just believe, because that's what pleases God. I only ever told you that you need faith as well as evidence to believe in God and you need faith because nobody can ever prove that God exists.

That my friend is the product of critical thinking.
Yes, I know you do just as you know that I believe the opposite. What you just wrote is a consequence of the willingness to believe without sufficient evidence to justify that belief.
I see no point of continuing to repeat myself when you still do not understand what I am saying.
Maybe it is your confirmation bias that will not allow you to understand, I don't really know.

You just made another straw man.
I am not willing to believe without sufficient evidence in order to justify my belief. I needed evidence in order to believe in God.
First, one accepts that the god exists, and then he accepts what others say this god wants. You say, "It is as simple as that." I think that's too simple.
You just made another straw man.
One does not first accept that God exists, and then accept what others say God wants.

First they look for evidence that indicates that God exists. Then if the evidence is sufficient they believe in God.
Only after they are a believer do they look for what God wants, as written in scriptures.