• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What "if" you are wrong

RestlessSoul

If there is no God, our very existence will continue to be miraculous. The odds against a bio friendly universe ever having come to pass are literally astronomical;

Penrose Number

But if it’s really all a hugely improbable accident, and there is no divine power guiding the process, then for the short time we are alive, there is still love, compassion, and kindness. And there is still prayer and meditation, and these spiritual practices can greatly enhance the quality of life for millions of us.

So perhaps it doesn’t really matter if there is no God. Because to some of us, it’s all God anyway.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Yep. No one will know until they are dead, if even then. By then... Well who knows.
If I'm wrong and there's nothing.... well, there will be nothing and there will be no me to know that there's nothing, so what will it matter?

I will have had fun with it(yeah, I actually find religion fun), so I guess it will have been all good.

Unfettered

A striving disciple of Jesus Christ
To all that believe a god does exist and those that believe(or lack belief) a god does not exist.....
What if you are wrong? Will it matter?
I don't think the question of existential value hinges on whether or not there is a God, but whether or not we, ourselves, are eternal beings. If we were wholly mortal and our existence finite, nothing we do in life would ultimately matter, whether God exists or not.

I appreciate the sentiments that have been shared in the thread about enjoying a marvelous existence now, but if I did not have an understanding that included an eternal existence, I could not sincerely think those thoughts—to do so would constitute the ultimate suspension of disbelief.

If we, as humans, were mortal and finite only, our ability to discern the ultimate futility of existence would be nature's cruel, cruel curse, for all others of her offspring can never discern such futility—and can never, therefore, become lost in it. They enjoy when life can be enjoyed, and mourn when life gives cause for mourning, but they never foresee or contemplate the annihilation of their own consciousness, and never have to consciously dismiss or forget it to enjoy anything.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
To all that believe a god does exist and those that believe(or lack belief) a god does not exist.....
What if you are wrong? Will it matter?
Okay let's deal with your hypothetical. What IF there is no God, etc. Well, I would have, due to my belief in God, lived an wonderfully meaningful life. Statistically, I was more inclined to be happier, healthier, and longer lived. I would have devoted my life to helping others and making the world better. and would have felt deep satisfaction from that. IOW, I think I would have lived the best life possible. Even IF God didn't actually exist.

RestlessSoul

I seek to be 100% right 100% of the time. ;) Of course, one's reach should exceed his grasp....
That's why I appreciate it when someone corrects me or steers me to a didactic website. Sometimes it's annoying, but I'm most;y annoyed at myself.

I know you’re joking about the 100%. Even so, isn’t it a bit uncomfortable, this constant struggle to be right?

I find it better to be open to new learning, rather than attached to the rectitude of my current stock of knowledge, which is certain to be somewhat offbeat in any case.

RestlessSoul

Once I'm dead it won't matter any more.

I see where you're going with this thread, of course. You're trying to insinuate a Pascal's wager argument into an apparently casual chat.

Once you’re dead, it won’t matter to you. It will certainly matter to those around you. I willing to bet there are people who love you.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
Well, if god does exist, I'm probably going to hell anyway. Ho-hum. What does Trip Advisor say about Hell?
Screenshot_20230711-230618_kindlephoto-1074537883.png