• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Voting third party...is a waste of a vote

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
So...if someone who lives in a deep red state, like Texas, votes for Hillary, a state that always goes Republican, wasting a vote?
That's pretty much how it is in Indiana. A vote for a Democrat president gets brushed off to the side and isn't counted towards anything that matters. Indiana went Blue in '08, and sometime back in the 70's, and other than that, it's consistently remained Red more times than Texas.

averageJOE

zombie
That's pretty much how it is in Indiana. A vote for a Democrat president gets brushed off to the side and isn't counted towards anything that matters. Indiana went Blue in '08, and sometime back in the 70's, and other than that, it's consistently remained Red more times than Texas.
That is the reason why so many people choose not to vote, because they feel like their vote won't matter because the election will go a certain way regardless. People feel like it's a waste because everyone keeps telling each other, and convincing each other, that it's a waste.

The exact same logic in those deep red and blue states apply to third party nation wide. The thing is is that it can actually change, and that is to actually vote for who you want, and not let someone convince you that your wasting your time and vote because that person has no chance in that state.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The exact same logic in those deep red and blue states apply to third party nation wide. The thing is is that it can actually change, and that is to actually vote for who you want, and not let someone convince you that your wasting your time and vote because that person has no chance in that state.
You also have to consider local cultures. Indiana is very much a pro-Christian state, which makes it pretty much damn near always go Red. The '08 campaign is pretty much the only a Democrat presidential nominee has campaigned in the state, because it's a very tough sell for them and they'll have a much easier time winning people over in other states. This year may potentially be an anomaly in regards to the state going Red or Blue, but this entire campaign season has been a huge anomaly. If things were more normal, without a huge shift in cultural values or without a strong and persistent campaign action, Indiana will go Red.

averageJOE

zombie
You also have to consider local cultures. Indiana is very much a pro-Christian state, which makes it pretty much damn near always go Red. The '08 campaign is pretty much the only a Democrat presidential nominee has campaigned in the state, because it's a very tough sell for them and they'll have a much easier time winning people over in other states. This year may potentially be an anomaly in regards to the state going Red or Blue, but this entire campaign season has been a huge anomaly. If things were more normal, without a huge shift in cultural values or without a strong and persistent campaign action, Indiana will go Red.
"Normal" is what people want to change. "Normal" is what has been screwing people over. There is a candidate out there that actually wants to change the electoral system.
http://www.fairvote.org/rcv#rcvbenefits

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
"Normal" is what people want to change.
People are always talking about wanting things to change, but their actions of doing nothing and voting the same to go on suggests otherwise. If people actually wanted change, we could predict by now that neither Hillary or Trump would win.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
This is the first time in my life that I will vote third party. Most likely Johnson, but Stein is starting to get more of my attention. However, when I mention this to others I get pretty much the same response; "You'd be throwing your vote away", "That is a waste of a vote", "That would just guarantee a Trump presidency", and so on.

To me, those arguments sound exactly the same as someone who says they are not going to vote at all. "It's just one vote. Its not like it would make a difference"

Am I wasting a vote? I'm tired of voting for someone I hate less than the other.

I'm starting to like the "rank choice voting" system she proposes at the 12 minute mark.
Like aforementioned.

Theoretically it would work well enough if enough people decide the same and go third party. .

Short term. Likely throwing it away but better than not voting at all. It still sways the balance in its own way.