• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Veda people never lived in Arctic. Did they?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It is perfectly normal to disagree with me, but with good and valid reason.
Yeah, I find it impossible to agree that there is a God in the universe and more so that he sent an angel, messenger (Jibreel) to another messenger on Earth, i.e., Mohammad, and said that he, Mohammad will be the last. What about that, Paarsurrey?

The above hymn is a beautiful piece of poetry about a happy married life in accordance with what is considered 'dharma' (duty) in Hinduism. Chariots are mentioned metaphorically to show that there is balance in this household. The husband and the wife both value each other. Love the hymn if it really means that.

But as I have always said, Devi Chand's translation is not my favorite. It is biased. Ralph Griffith translates the verses as below. With Griffith, it is not a wife's praise for the husband:

Book 8, Verse 6-16
"6 Fair wealth, O Savitar, to-day, to-morrow, fair wealth produce for us each day that passes.
May we, through this our song, be happy gainers, God! of a fair and spacious habitation.
7 Taken upon a base art thou. Savitar's giver of delight art thou. Giver of joy art thou: vouchsafe me joy.
Speed thou the sacrifice, speed thou the sacrifice's lord to win his share. Thee for the God, for Savitar.
8 Taken upon a base art thou. Thou art a good protector, firmly stablished. To the Great Bull be reverential homage.
Thee for the Visvedevas. This is thy home: Thee for the Visvedevas.
9 Taken upon a base art thou. May it be mine to prosper the libations of thee Brihaspati's son,
O radiant Soma, of thee, strong Indu, mated with thy Consorts.
I am in heaven above, on earth beneath it. The intermediate region was my father.
I saw the Sun both from above and under. I am what Gods in secret hold the highest.
10 Agni, associate with the Dames, accordant with the God Tvashtar, drink. All-hail! Thou art Prajâpati, strong male, impregner:
may I obtain from thee, strong male, impregner, a son who shall himself become a father.
11 Taken upon a base art thou. Thou art bay-coloured, Yoker of Bay Coursers. Thee for the pair of tawny-coloured horses.
United with the Soma, ye, for Indra, are corn for his two tawny steeds to feed on.
12 That draught of thine which winneth cows or horses, offered with sacrificial text and lauded
With chanted hymns and songs of adoration - of that permitted do I take permitted.
13 Of sin against the Gods thou art atonement. Of sin against mankind thou art atonement.
For sin against the Fathers thou atonest. Of sin against oneself thou art atonement.
Of every sort of sin thou art atonement. The sin that I have knowingly committed,
the sin that unawares I have committed, of all that wickedness thou art the atonement.
14 We with our bodies have again united, with lustre, vital sap, and happy spirit.
Giver of boons, may Tvashtar grant us riches and smooth whate’er was injured in our body.
15 Lead us with thought to wealth in kine, O Indra, to princes, Lord of Bounty! and to welfare.
Lead thou us on to God-inspired devotion, to favour of the Gods who merit worship. All-hail!
16 We with our bodies have again united, with lustre, vital sap, and happy spirit.
Giver of boons, may Tvashtar grant us riches and smooth whate’er was injured in our body."
http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/wyv/wyvbk08.htm

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
As for dating these particular verses, we should remember that Taittiriya Samhita (Krishna YajurVeda - Black YajurVeda) which was remembered and taught by Sage Vaishampayana is probably a little prior to 2,000 BC. Therefore, Shukla YajurVeda (White YajurVeda) which was compiled by his pupil Yajnavalkya is later than that., probably some time before 1,500 BC. There is no reference to Arctic conditions in these verses. Also, these verses are not philosophical like Nasadiya, Purusha or Hiranyagarbha hymns of RigVeda. These verses could have been written by Aryans when they were still in the steppes, when they did not know about indigenous Hindu Gods and Goddesses (who are not mentioned here), or perhaps soon after arriving in India and before any serious mixing with the indigenous people. My guess is that these verses are from a period earlier than 1,500 BC.

Shukla Yajurveda 8.6-7.jpg
Shukla YajurVeda 8.6-7 with comments by Mahidhara, an important commentator on Vedas in 16th Century.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahīdhara

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, I find it impossible to agree that there is a God in the universe and more so that he sent an angel, messenger (Jibreel) to another messenger on Earth, i.e., Mohammad, and said that he, Mohammad will be the last. What about that, Paarsurrey?
Also, it seems God has a penchant for sending emissaries, though he said Mohammad was the last. After Mohammad, he has sent Bahaullah and Mirza Ghulam Ahmad. He may, in his own wish, send any number of emissaries in future also. Hindus did a good thing. By declaring that the next and the last avatara of Lord Vishnu will come only after 425,000 years. That way, we are clearly saved from the impostors and charlatans. :)

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Also, it seems God has a penchant for sending emissaries, though he said Mohammad was the last. After Mohammad, he has sent Bahaullah and Mirza Ghulam Ahmad. He may, in his own wish, send any number of emissaries in future also. Hindus did a good thing. By declaring that the next and the last avatara of Lord Vishnu will come only after 425,000 years. That way, we are clearly saved from the impostors and charlatans. :)

The word used in Quran is "khātama" which means "seal", and a seal was used as certification, so that would mean the any prophets/messenger that come after Muhammad must be a total follower of Muhammad; in character, teaching and Law of Muhammad, that is Quran.

Noun
(33:40:11) wa khātama and Seal مَا كَانَ مُحَمَّدٌ أَبَا أَحَدٍ مِنْ رِجَالِكُمْ وَلَٰكِنْ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ وَخَاتَمَ النَّبِيِّينَ
http://corpus.quran.com/qurandictionary.jsp?q=xtm
Please

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Please quote from Veda for this claim and also give reasonable arguments given by Veda to support one's viewpoint.
One must know that the Post Veda people in the Indian-sub-Continent believe that Veda is eternal, so please don't mix anything non-revealed or non-eternal with the Veda.
Please

Regards

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Please quote from Veda for this claim and also give reasonable arguments given by Veda to support one's viewpoint.
Vishnu has avtaras only in Puranas and not in Vedas, at least not in RigVeda. Vishnu's three steps are mentioned in RigVeda, but he is not mentioned as Vamana.