• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Veda people never lived in Arctic. Did they?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

1. There is no archaeological evidence to support that Vedic people ever lived in the Arctic.
2. Snow and ice which is everywhere in the Arctic is not mentioned in Veda, not to speak of mentioning it very frequently.
3. No animal, plant or bird specific to Arctic is mentioned in Veda.

Thread open to everybody. Please

Regards

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

1. There is no archaeological evidence to support that Vedic people ever lived in the Arctic.
2. Snow and ice which is everywhere in the Arctic is not mentioned in Veda, not to speak of mentioning it very frequently.

Regards
Vedic people lived in ancient India. Why the **** would you find them in the Arctic?
You need a map mate?

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Pranam Paasurrey ji, yes, you are correct, the arctic is quite far away from India, and is rather inhospitable :D

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not aware of them having lived in the Arctic. I've never heard of that before.

Satyamavejayanti

Regards

Namaste,

I agree there is no evidence, it is only one persons opinion/observation based on personal interpretation of the Vedic Mantras/ Brahmanas ect.

I respect Tilak for his patriotism and nationalism and his revival of the Ganesh Chathurthi, but that does not mean that i have to believe everything he wrote.

Dhanyavad

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
A little background please. Why are we talking about the Artic and Vedic people?

One of our intelligent poster friend @Aupmanyav believes that the believers mentioned in Veda were of the "Aryan race" and according to him they lived in Arctic. He has expressed this opinion in many a post on Veda in this thread. @Aupmanyav follows the line of B.G.Tilak:

"The Arctic Home in the Vedas is a pseudohistory book on the origin of Aryanic People by Bal Gangadhar Tilak, a mathematician turned astronomer, historian, journalist, philosopher and political leader of India. It propounded the theory that the North Pole was the original home of Aryans during the pre-glacial period which they had to leave due to the ice deluge around 8000 B.C. and had to migrate to the Northern parts of Europe and Asia in search of lands for new settlements. In support to his theory, Tilak presented certain Vedic hymns, Avestic passages, Vedic chronology and Vedic calendars with interpretations of the contents in detail."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Arctic_Home_in_the_Vedas

I don't think it is correct for the reasons mentioned in post #1 above. Please
This has other implications though.
Regards

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Aryans were not a race, they were people. I hope you understand the difference. A people can belong to many races, like the Americans at present.
Well the editor of that page in Wikipedia has his own views. I have my own. Wikipedia is not God's own word.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
A little background please. Why are we talking about the Artic and Vedic people?

There are many theories about the background of Veda people.
  1. Some hold that Veda people were Aryans who entered the Indian-sub-Continent on chariots and on horse-backs invading the Indian-sub-Continent. One could see in Veda description of the horses, the chariots, the weaponry the Veda people had.
  2. Others hold that it was not an invasion, it was a migration, and the native locals dispersed to barren lands and remote places vacating the green pastures for the invaders/immigrants, happily, while the natives were also agriculturists or animal tenders.
    • Those who subscribe to this view admit that there was war, they name it "Battle of 10 Kings" while this name is not perhaps mentioned in Veda.
    • Veda is full of words of war,battles, foes, enemies etc. And such words are almost in every chapter of the Yajurveda. So, the Veda people were warriors.
    • Did they fight all these battles before invasion/migration to the Indian-sub-Continent? They provide no details.
There are other theories also, each has impossibilities of its own.
Neither Veda solves them nor the holders of such theories. Please

Regards

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There are many theories about the background of Veda people.
  1. Some hold that Veda people were Aryans who entered the Indian-sub-Continent on chariots and on horse-backs invading the Indian-sub-Continent. One could see in Veda description of the horses, the chariots, the weaponry the Veda people had.
  2. Others hold that it was not an invasion, it was a migration, and the native locals dispersed to barren lands and remote places vacating the green pastures for the invaders/immigrants, happily, while the natives were also agriculturists or animal tenders.
    • Those who subscribe to this view admit that there was war, they name it "Battle of 10 Kings" while this name is not perhaps mentioned in Veda.
    • Veda is full of words of war,battles, foes, enemies etc. And such words are almost in every chapter of the Yajurveda. So, the Veda people were warriors.
    • Did they fight all these battles before invasion/migration to the Indian-sub-Continent? They provide no details.
There are other theories also, each has impossibilities of its own.
Neither Veda solves them nor the holders of such theories.
Since I hold the first view, there is no problem for me. Chariots may have been useful in Central Asia but they would not be useful in a land where there were thousands of rivers and rivulets (Punjab) and thick forests at that time. So most probably Aryans abandoned them when they came to India. Riding a horse is OK. Yes, like all people of that time, we can safely assume that Aryans had bows and arrows, axes, clubs, and probably bronze swords and daggers.

As for the Battle of Ten kings, it is known that most of the belligerents were tribes from North East or East, some of them Aryans. There was no fight with the indigenous people.
Sure, one of the four divisions of the Aryan society were the Kshatriyas (warriors). Which society had no warriors? Is it something strange to have warriors?
The Vedic people as well as the indigenous people were not into writing histories like the Egyptians or the Chinese. They were more into religion and philosophy.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Aryans were not a race, they were people. I hope you understand the difference. A people can belong to many races, like the Americans at present.
Well the editor of that page in Wikipedia has his own views. I have my own. Wikipedia is not God's own word.
First there was Aupvaida. Now there is Aupistory?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, Vinayaka, I do not think Aryans had any kind of blue blood. When they came to India, they intermarried with local people (Sage Parashara and Satyavati). I think the same must have happened even when they were in Central Asia. After all, we may even have Neanderthal or Denisovan blood in our veins. Shubh Ratri.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
But of course.

Unfortunately, the talk by Dr. Malhotra that was supposed to go on here got cancelled. The organisers didn't say why. I was looking forward to it to. Apparently he doesn't even bother to speak about the AIT, AMT much any more, now that about 99% of the people know it as myth. On to bigger and better things ... the battle for Sanskrit.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
People regularly married Asura kanyas, Rakshasa kanyas, Naga kanyas and Riksha kanyas. Examples: Aniruddha (Usha), Bhim (Hidimba), Arjuna (Ulupi), and Lord Krishna (Jambavanti).

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't see why it's so important. Probably not. Their predecessors were from East and Southern Africa, ultimately, and via various routes came to India.

I also think it's not important. Wherever they came from, and however they got there, the people who became known as Indians are there now. And over the course of the millennia they built an incredible culture.