• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UK general election May 2015

Who will you (or are likely to) vote for in the coming UK general election this May?

• Total voters

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Firstly, I can see through Murdoch and The Mail and Telegraph and its spin. I'm not daft.
I realise that Labour will have to pair up with the SNP to get into Government, but Sturgeon and Salmond are playing into the Tory (and Tory press' hands) hands by goading Miliband.

I can't disagree with this.

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
000a%20Guardian-027%20Bertelsmann.jpg

Sigh
More misinformation from the Guardian!

Yerda

Veteran Member
Well the study is unreasonable in the first place.
Perhaps, but hardly unreasonable for the media to report it's findings. The report appears to say exactly what The Guardian claims it says. That's not misinformation, it's reporting.

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
Perhaps, but hardly unreasonable for the media to report it's findings. The report appears to say exactly what The Guardian claims it says. That's not misinformation, it's reporting.

It's unreasonable to portray to the British public that this would really happen, isn't it? The report is disingenuous and, under the Guardian's complete knowledge of what they were reporting, it's also disingenuous for the newspaper to release this story.
I'm not saying that we should mute anything that is not pro-EU, but at least get the facts right beforehand.
Also, I was talking about misinformation, not misrepresentation.

Yerda

Veteran Member
It's unreasonable to portray to the British public that this would really happen, isn't it? The report is disingenuous and, under the Guardian's complete knowledge of what they were reporting, it's also disingenuous for the newspaper to release this story.
I'm not saying that we should mute anything that is not pro-EU, but at least get the facts right beforehand.
Also, I was talking about misinformation, not misrepresentation.
The study said what they claimed it said. It wasn't misinforming anyone. I would say that they probably endorse the message given that past editorials have warned of the costs of leaving the EU, but it was a piece of reporting (on an apparently respectable institute with a good record).

Also in the same paper today, Nigel Farage: the English are biggest victims of racism because of Scots | Politics | The Guardian

I would hesitate to call this misinformation however. Just more gibberish from an unrepentant idiot.

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
The study said what they claimed it said.

And it's a misinformative report!

It wasn't misinforming anyone.

Yes it is--it equates the non-EU countries of Switzerland and Norway as having a similar status with regards to EU-relations.

I would say that they probably endorse the message given that past editorials have warned of the costs of leaving the EU, but it was a piece of reporting (on an apparently respectable institute with a good record).

The report runs at a tiny seven pages long. It's not exactly a comprehensive report--especially from a "respectable institute".

Bloody hell, that's a misleading headline.
He never said that the English were the biggest victims of racism; neither did he say that it was because of Scots. Good try, though.

Yerda

Veteran Member
And it's a misinformative report!

Yes it is--it equates the non-EU countries of Switzerland and Norway as having a similar status with regards to EU-relations.

The report runs at a tiny seven pages long. It's not exactly a comprehensive report--especially from a "respectable institute".
Is it not a respected institute? I neither know or care. An article reporting the publishing of a report is not misinformation.

Ultimatum said:
Bloody hell, that's a misleading headline.
He never said that the English were the biggest victims of racism; neither did he say that it was because of Scots. Good try, though.
He did say this though,

“The biggest racism I’ve seen in British politics is happening north of the border with the SNP, where some of the anti-English hatred is reaching a truly astonishing level and I would think that if the BBC are worried about racism that’s where they ought to be looking... T‎he SNP are openly racist. The anti-English hostility and the kind of language that is used about and towards English people is totally extraordinary.”

Total pish. As usual.

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
An article reporting the publishing of a report is not misinformation.

The report is misinformative and gives the wrong impression. The Guardian, by knowingly advertising this report, is extending the reach of this misinformation.
It's like saying that it's not ASDAs fault for selling pork that was labelled as chicken, but was the fault of the manufacturer of said product--which is true, but there needs to be some sort of quality control, also.

He did say this though,

No he didn't.

“The biggest racism I’ve seen in British politics

The biggest racism in British politics.

is happening north of the border with the SNP,

With the SNP. Not the Scots, as is proudly presented in the headline...[/QUOTE]

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
So assuming another coalition of sorts, what do you think is the most likely outcome?

Labour/SNP or Labour/Lib Dem or Tory/Lib Dem?

PS I'm assuming that UKIP and the Greens won't actually win many seats.

Altfish

Veteran Member
So assuming another coalition of sorts, what do you think is the most likely outcome?

Labour/SNP or Labour/Lib Dem or Tory/Lib Dem?

PS I'm assuming that UKIP and the Greens won't actually win many seats.
Don't forget the DUP will go with the Tories, now they make UKIP look liberal.

Latest from Election Forecast: -

Conservatives 280
Labour 270
SNP 47
Liberal Democrats 27
DUP 8
Plaid Cymru 4
SDLP 3
UKIP 2
Greens 1
Other 8

philbo

High Priest of Cynicism
The report is misinformative and gives the wrong impression.
..and you know this, exactly how?

Overwhelmingly the most agenda-driven lying drivel-sheet in publication is the Daily Mail: I have lost count of the number of stories that were shown to be outright lies, especially when they print pretty much anything about the EU: I mean this honestly, if you have got your information about the EU from reading the Daily Mail, you've been systemically and intentionally misinformed.

E.g. 75% of our laws come from Europe - though if memory serves, that was reported in the DM as a result of the misinformed UKIP claim.

I've got a rather amusing UKIP leaflet here: it says "Standing up for Real change", then goes on to list the policies, all but one of which (the getting out of Europe bit) are how things need *not* to change. And it tells the same lie about 75% of our laws coming from Europe (or should I just say "it's misinformative and gives the wrong impression"?)