• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Pagan, Buddhist, and Hindu Thread

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
It happened here, and about 2000 people offered Him milk. I didn't bother to go because I had had even more powerful personal experiences with that murthi, plus the fact I dislike crowds and hulabaloo over miracles.
I'd wondered if your temple was part of that. A book on Ganesh I was reading mentioned Edmonton being a place that He took milk at.

I could understand avoiding due to the crowds. I may have stayed home, too, as I doubt I'd have been able to get through the masses... I have to wonder what your experience is, but know these things are personal, so won't pry. :)

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Namaskaram. This Wednesday (Dec. 20) is a Balinese Hindu holiday called Hari Raya Pagerwesi, meaning 'Great Day of the Iron Fence' or 'Iron Fence Holiday.' It is always the first Wednesday (Buda) in the seven-day week of Sinta on the Wuku Calendar.

Hari Raya Pagerwesi is analogous to Guru Pūrṇimā in Indian Hinduism. It is not only observed differently according to region, village, and the like but also by priests and ordinary people. Priests are to do yoga and worship the Lingam. Ordinary people do acts such as prāyaścitta (expiation) and dakṣiṇā (donation). They also worship Śiva as Sang Hyang Pramesti Guru, meaning 'The God who is the Guru of the Universe.' By worshipping Śiva as the guru of all beings—your guru, my guru, our guru—and communing with him, he bestows upon us spiritual knowledge. Spiritual knowledge is like an iron fence that fortifies us against delusion and attachment. This is why the holiday is called Pagerwesi: Iron Fence. There are more details about it on this Indonesian webpage that I had my browser translate for me.

I plan to give dāna (charity) as expiation, offer Sang Hyang Pramesti Guru incense and some rice colored by turmeric, and meditate on him at night. May he give me spiritual knowledge that will be an iron fence to fortify me from delusion and the effects of delusion. May he bestow it upon all who meditate on him.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
In another thread, I told someone I feel that us Buddhists, Pagans, and Hindus get swept under the rug around here.

So, I'm making a thread devoted to these three(very vast) worldviews. Any and all may participate, but this thread may not delve into discussions of Abrahamic viewpoints, scriptures, or their God.

Anyone have anything interesting to share or ask?
I was in Japan recently where Buddhism and the Indigenous Shinto religion are the main religions. They are very much intertwined and have co-existed for centuries. They are part of life for most Japanese people though most don't identify with any particular sect. There is not much need for anything Abrahamic and Christianity makes up only a very small minority of the population (1%).

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I was in Japan recently where Buddhism and the Indigenous Shinto religion are the main religions. They are very much intertwined and have co-existed for centuries centuries. They are part of life for most Japanese people though most don't identify with any particular sect. There is not much need for anything Abrahamic and Christianity makes up only a very small minority of the population (1%).
I love how some religions coexist with each other like that.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Buddhism came to Japan through China, hence the strong influence of Daoism. They need to make their ****** minds up.

Actually, Buddhism came to Japan through the Korean Baekje Kingdom in the sixth century. Buddhism originated in India, made its way to China, came to Korea from China, and finally came to Japan from Korea. For anyone who wants to read more about this, there is an article on the World History Encyclopedia and an article on Asia Society.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Actually, Buddhism came to Japan through the Korean Baekje Kingdom in the sixth century. Buddhism originated in India, made its way to China, came to Korea from China, and finally came to Japan from Korea. For anyone who wants to read more about this, there is an article on the World History Encyclopedia and an article on Asia Society.
Thanks. Total news to me! I guess I'd presumed based on my reading about China.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Thanks. Total news to me! I guess I'd presumed based on my reading about China.

You’re certainly welcome, sir! :) (That’s something my humorous, good-hearted father likes to say to me.)

Many, many years ago, when I first started reading about Mahayana Buddhism, my impression was that Buddhism had spread from China directly to Japan. I think it’s because we usually read that the Japanese word zen comes from the Chinese chán yet the Korean word seon (선), which is the cognate (it’s pronounced like our English word sun), is hardly mentioned, from what I’ve observed. When not many individuals mention the Korean terminology, we are given the impression that Buddhism came to Japan directly from China. This is my theory, at least.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
You’re certainly welcome, sir! :) (That’s something my humorous, good-hearted father likes to say to me.)

Many, many years ago, when I first started reading about Mahayana Buddhism, my impression was that Buddhism had spread from China directly to Japan. I think it’s because we usually read that the Japanese word zen comes from the Chinese chán yet the Korean word seon (선), which is the cognate (it’s pronounced like our English word sun), is hardly mentioned, from what I’ve observed. When not many individuals mention the Korean terminology, we are given the impression that Buddhism came to Japan directly from China. This is my theory, at least.
Actually...there are 3 schools of Zen: Soto, Rinzai and Obaku. All three came directly from China. (Soto, the one I relate to the most, was brought to Japan after Eihei Dogen visited China).

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never tried kimchi. Wikipedia uses the words cabbage and radish so I'm not in a rush!
I love kimchi. I brought it as a side dish to this past 4th of July picnic and turned a lot of people onto it.

But I am listening to a lot of Psy...
Now I have to go listen to Gagnam Style again. :sweatsmile:

And holy crap! 4.9 billion views?!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Hari Raya Pagerwesi
in sanskrit it would traslate as 'lord god manifested'. Pragarwesi phonetically is close to 'prakat' which means 'to manifest'.
so, he is here, clear your doubts. guru purnima also means the birthday of the guru, when the guru manifested.
hari has many meanings. one of them is 'one who takes away/steals ignorance'.

google search: hari - It refers to the one who removes darkness and illusion, the one who removes all obstacles to spiritual progress.

Last edited: