• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Book Of Mormon

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
If they would drop the Joseph Smith visions, it wouldn't be so bad. The church is run fairly biblically otherwise. But that doesn't change my earlier post that I don't think the BOM is a good read.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
If they would drop the Joseph Smith visions, it wouldn't be so bad. The church is run fairly biblically otherwise. But that doesn't change my earlier post that I don't think the BOM is a good read.
General Conference is next week. It will be 200 years since Joseph Smith's first vision so they're likely to mention it.

MonkeyFire

There is no need for evidence if Jesus will return. If anything there is no evidence of God, it is hidden from us so He can be while we live out our nature. Passive-believers can go to Heaven before others since they care about religion the most, so do that. The best advice I can give you is to let yourself have belief without knowing, fore if there were no hope then life should stop.

the odds are never on your side when you don’t believe l, and that includes science, don’t risk dis-belief, you might be real, but what if you repeat painful life’s forever? Fate is ever on the side of the believer.

Last edited:

Unfettered

A striving disciple of Jesus Christ
Wow, no. I can't imagine the gospel or the religion without the revelations to Joseph (and subsequent prophets). They have been an immeasurable source of light and direction in my life. Please, let's keep them right where they are!

Audie

Veteran Member
There is no need for evidence if Jesus will return. If anything there is no evidence of God, it is hidden from us so He can be while we live out our nature. Passive-believers can go to Heaven before others since they care about religion the most, so do that. The best advice I can give you is to let yourself have belief without knowing, fore if there were no hope then life should stop.

the odds are never on your side when you don’t believe l, and that includes science, don’t risk dis-belief, you might be real, but what if you end up suffering? Fate is ever on the side of the believer.
Just save words by saying
Pascale wager.

Or PW. We've heard it enough.
PW will serve.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

the odds are never on your side when you don’t believe l, and that includes science, don’t risk dis-belief, you might be real, but what if you repeat painful life’s forever? Fate is ever on the side of the believer.
Oh my, As @Audie pointed out we are all very familiar with Pascal's wager. It is a failed argument. You should look into why.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It seems to me that the Book of Mormon is written in such a prolix style that it's effectively nearly unreadable. At the least it's off-putting.

A long time ago on the old Beliefnet board I rewrote a long passage from it and, with no particular effort and a great gain in clarity, reduced it by more than 30%. I don't say I'd get 30% reduction all the time, but I'd be surprised if I didn't routinely get a lot.

idea

Question Everything
A few good resources:

I left because of child abuse in the LDS church.

They are one of the groups who uses elevation to manipulate

It's not the spirit, it's not from god.

This stuff is within all religious groups. We are social creatures, solitary confinement makes inmates insane, we all need to feel we belong, but I encourage everyone to find a group where you keep your mind, are allowed to think, are not required to sustain pedophiles, or pay $$ to billion$$ corporations who pay pennies to charity. Healthy groups are by the people - not by the pope, not by the pro$$it, not by imperfect men - goid groups are a democracy where every vote counts, every voice is valid.

There are good groups out there. Have to embrace self-reliance *not rely on priesthood or any other Messiah complex individuals - we're all just people. If there is a God, a loving just one, that God would not condone evil pro$$it pedophile heirarchies.

Betrayal trauma isn't something I would wish on anyone. It's not the spirit, it isn't from God, it doesn't protect, church leaders are not trustworthy - too many are convicted child molesters. Polygamous mindset isn't just history, it's still going on. Warped marriages.

No church owns family - we all make our own families.

No church owns God. We can all pray - no pope/bishop/racist Polygamous pro$$it needed.

Last edited:

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

Watchmen

Premium Member
I've never seen anything. Watchmen, are you Jehovah's Witness? I have respect for them. They know more about the Bible than almost anyone.
No. I’m not JW. I’m an ex-Mormon atheist who was at some of the highest levels of my local congregation. I taught Mormon temple classes, was a missionary, was young men’s President, was Elders Quorum counselor and so on. I know Mormonism inside and out.

Unfettered

I'm impressed that this thread went over two pages before devolving into an anti-Mormon cork-board. No, seriously. That's actually pretty good. :laughing:

Unfettered

Just because something doesn’t jive with Mormonism does not make it “anti-Mormon.” I deal in truth.
Everyone here deals in truth. It's like prison, where everyone is innocent.

As for anti- this or anti-that, I'm sure most of us here have been around the block enough times to tell the difference between good-faith discourse and anti-<fill-in-the-blank> drive-by posts. They bear a common mark; they're not hard to spot. No harm, no foul, though. It's just part of the online forum environment.

As I said, I was genuinely impressed. I've been on other forum platforms where the atmosphere made you feel like a gladiator on the arena floor of the Colosseum—pretty much every time you posted. On those forums a thread would get 5 posts max before good-faith discourse was abandoned in favor of a word brawl. I've not been here long, but so far I've really enjoyed the atmosphere. I've seen relatively little of mean-spiritedness and vitriol. It's not perfect, but it feels as welcoming as I think discussion forums can be.

Last edited: