• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible seems to always promote a flat earth belief over a spherical earth

We Never Know

No Slack
But . . . judged? Needs clarification. Do you consider these ancient mythologies in any sense true? How ould you propose we consider ancient myths like those in the Pentateuch?

I prefer considering these ancient world views in the context of their time and culture. This true for Chinese mythology of dragons and creation mys form all cultures of the world.
Judged in the sense for example of the bible doesn't call earth a sphere.

I don't believe in Zeus or other greek gods so why would I believe other ancient mythologies?

We Never Know

No Slack
Well then what word did they use to describe spherical fruit like grapes which were surely known. Orb? the concept definitely predates the Bible and existed. A spherical earth may not have been known to the culture that actually wrote down the stories but spherical objects with descriptions would have been.
Round?

We Never Know

No Slack
That is doing an awful lot of heavy lifting to elevate ancient Hebrew cosmology to anything resembling modern understanding.
Not lifting at all. I'm not claiming I know what they meant or didn't mean about this or that because I don't know what words they used which is why I said "Round?" (Note the question mark.

Take the use of the world circle in the bible. Some claim to know what they meant by it.
Some claim it means a flat earth.
Some claim it means a round earth.

Then there is the mention of four corners which a circle or anything round doesn't have so there's another what do they mean.

IMO no one really knows what it means. They just give what they think it means and what fits their agenda.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Before the bible simply means before the bible. When the first book was written, the bible existed(though incomplete)

Where are their writings?
Not what we think they meant but what they actually said.

From what I read it seems sphere evolved from circle, ball, globe.
The Bible does not date back as far as you think that it does. The Bible appears to be much younger than its mythical parts claims that it is. The Pentateuch for example has been dated to the time of the Babylonian Captivity.

If you are asking what other beliefs there were in the world "before the Bible" it appears that a Flat Earth belief may have been fairly common. It was the cultures that were ocean going, such as the Greeks, that first noticed that the world was not flat. That the writers of the Bible may have believed in a Flat Earth does not make them "stupid". Nor does it even make them ignorant for their time. They were almost surely not the same ones that did not know that the Earth was a sphere.

The reason that Flat Earth beliefs are treated disdainfully today is not because the ancient Flat Earth believers were idiots or deniers or reality. That was the only reality that they knew. It is aimed at modern believers of an idea what was shown to be wrong an incredibly long time ago, and there is no excuse for such a belief today.

excreationist

Married mouth-breather
Then there is the mention of four corners which a circle or anything round doesn't have.
The following picture is from someone who believed the earth was flat and that it had four corners.

I said: "Please give ONE example of a Bible verse that contradicts the flat earth theory (more than it does the globe)"

So four corners could contradict the flat earth to some degree but it contradicts the globe even more. I meant try and draw a globe that has four corners.....

Orlando-Ferguson-flat-earth-map_edit.jpg

We Never Know

No Slack
The following picture is from someone who believed the earth was flat and that it had four corners.

I said: "Please give ONE example of a Bible verse that contradicts the flat earth theory (more than it does the globe)"

So four corners could contradict the flat earth to some degree but it contradicts the globe even more. I meant try and draw a globe that has four corners.....

View attachment 90583
That was Ferguson. He also thought the Sun was 30 miles in diameter and only 3,000 miles away from Earth and disputed the existence of gravity.

excreationist

Married mouth-breather
That was Ferguson. He also thought the Sun was 30 miles in diameter and only 3,000 miles away from Earth and disputed the existence of gravity.
I think that is compatible with the Bible. Is there anything in the Bible that contradicts it? On the other hand there are a lot of verses that seem to conflict with the earth being a globe.

excreationist

Married mouth-breather
Universal Acceleration (UA) is a theory of gravity in the Flat Earth Model. UA asserts that the Earth and the observable universe are accelerating 'upward' at a constant rate of 9.8m/s^2.

This produces the effect commonly referred to as "gravity".

The traditional theory of gravitation (e.g. Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, General Theory of Relativity, etc) is incompatible with the Flat Earth Model because it requires a large, spherical mass pulling objects uniformly toward its center.

excreationist

Married mouth-breather
So how long have we been accelerating at this rate and do we reach the speed of light?
This says:
A flat earth accelerating with a constant acceleration will never reach the speed of light. It requires an infinite energy for a massive object to reach this speed. As the energy added by acceleration is always finite, the earth will be forever approaching the speed of light, but bever reach it. Sorry, but it looks like you just lost an argument with the flat earthers ;)
I'm not sure if that is accurate and I'm not a flat earther anyway. I guess it’s been 6000 years based on Genesis.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The word sphere didn't exist at the time the bible was written.

Why didn't Henry Ford use power steering on his first model T... It didn't exist.

Hard to use something that didn't exist at time of something being written or invented.

We can use current knowledge to critique many past things.
There were certainly spherical objects in biblical writings which are described to be as a ball during that time. A good example is Isaiah 22:18.

There is no doubt the Bible is describing a flat Earth rather than a sphere.

gnostic

The Lost One
@excreationist

The Bible also promote the idea that that Earth has solid ”dome” (2nd day of creation), called “firmament” (other translations call the firmament - “vault”, “expanse”, and that the stars, sun & moon are set (4th day) in the same dome where birds fly (5th day).

How do birds fly with the same dome as those of the stars and the paths of the Sun and Moon?

That’s not only absurd, it is illogical & scientifically wrong. No such dome exists - not today, and not in ancient time.

Genesis 1st day & 4th day also implied the day, as in daylight, the result of Sun moving across the sky, not the Earth rotating, so it is advocating the geocentric planetary motion.

The geocentric model is where the Earth is centre of system, with the Sun and planets orbiting the Earth, proposed by Aristotle (4th century BCE) & codified by Claudius Ptolemy (2nd century CE). This is the same belief as those astronomy of Bronze Age Egypt & Babylonia.

In ancient times, only Greek astronomers (3rd century BCE Aristarchus of Samos & 2nd century BCE Seleucus of Seleucia) have proposed the unpopular heliocentric model, where the spherical Earth (and other planets) orbiting the sun.

Geocentric remained popular in the west, until it was revived by Nicolaus Copernicus, and discovered & verified by Galileo…as well as been revised later by Johannes Kepler (eg elliptical orbits as opposed to Copernicus’ circular orbits) and Isaac Newton (eg universal gravitational & using calculus).

There is also Joshua 10, during the battle with the Amorites, where God stopped the Sun & Moon from moving, not stopping the Earth’s rotational motion…another indication of whoever wrote the book of Joshua (not written by Joshua), they have no understanding of the Solar System.

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
There were certainly spherical objects in biblical writings which are described to be as a ball during that time. A good example is Isaiah 22:18.

There is no doubt the Bible is describing a flat Earth rather than a sphere.
"Toss thee like a ball"

I never said the word ball didn't exist.

Has any writing in history referred to earth as a ball?

So you know without a doubt a circle is referring to a flat earth?
Does that mean the four corners are referring to a square or rectangular earth?

So many claim to "know" when in reality they don't.

I don't know what much of the bible means by the words they used and/or the way its written. Not to mention I haven't read much of it but I won't claim something means this or that when I don't know.

Twilight Hue

"Toss thee like a ball"

I never said the word ball didn't exist.

Has any writing in history referred to earth as a ball?

So you know without a doubt a circle is referring to a flat earth?
Does that mean the four corners are referring to a square or rectangular earth?

So many claim to "know" when in reality they don't.

I don't know what much of the bible means by the words they used and/or the way its written. Not to mention I haven't read much of it but I won't claim something means this or that when I don't know.
Well using the term pillers as well should also offer a fair hint in Job 9:6 that the earth was an affixed object.

We Never Know

No Slack
Well using the term pillers as well should also offer a fair hint in Job 9:6 that the earth was an affixed object.
What does that have to do with earth being flat or a sphere?

Why do you read a post and then reply completely about something else without addressing the post.

The bible is full of metaphors.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

What does that have to do with earth being flat or a sphere?

Why do you read a post and then reply completely about something else without addressing the post.
Because the Bible books together can give an overall picture of how the earth was viewed by ancient abrahamics.

We Never Know

No Slack
Because the Bible books together can give an overall picture of how the earth was viewed by ancient abrahamics.
Ok. Lets try again.

You know without a doubt a circle is referring to a flat earth correct?

Does that mean the four corners are referring to a flat square or flat rectangular earth since circles don't have corners?