• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientists say...

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Too bad that you still are calling your own God a liar. The problem may be that no one else can think for you. And you trust people that are only too happy to lie for Jesus.
We'll see if you can answer this. Some people claim to be members of a religion and then say it's all one big myth in the Bible. How do you feel about that?

YoursTrue

Too bad that you still are calling your own God a liar. The problem may be that no one else can think for you. And you trust people that are only too happy to lie for Jesus.
You certainly can't think for me. You are the one that's telling falsehoods about me. So you perhaps want to stop lying by continuing to tell me what I believe. Thanks.

YoursTrue

Then why did you ask? Sheesh.
Sorry I said that because I find your beliefs hopeless in that you think humans and cockroaches will survive but offer nothing but your own opinion. Meantime, others may do the thumbs up and possibly believe the same way -- I won't go any further now with this but take care and have a nice day as you may be awaiting the fulfillment of what both evolution says (death) and what the scientists are saying from the Doomsday Clock group, as you believe some humans may survive and also cockroaches. :)
Yet you still may think the "Messiah" will come...for what purpose? And -- do you believe that he will eventually come? Any ideas?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Sorry I said that because I find your beliefs hopeless in that you think humans and cockroaches will survive but offer nothing but your own opinion. Meantime, others may do the thumbs up and possibly believe the same way -- I won't go any further now with this but take care and have a nice day as you may be awaiting the fulfillment of what both evolution says (death) and what the scientists are saying from the Doomsday Clock group, as you believe some humans may survive and also cockroaches. :)
Yet you still may think the "Messiah" will come...for what purpose? And -- do you believe that he will eventually come? Any ideas?
It sounds like you're confusing science with your religious beliefs about the supposed end times.

YoursTrue

I think that humans and cockroaches will survive. Since necessity is the mother of invention, I assume that when pushed to the brink, we will find some way to survive. However, I don't know that the earth will still be the beautiful place that it is today. I suspect we will go from living in a garden, to living in a cesspool.
It's too bad isn't it that many are being killed one way or another in various parts of the world, isn't it? Talk about pushed to the brink, why even think about it, but fortunately scientists who are well versed in these things realize mankind by its own devices is being "pushed to the brink," and is it your hope that humans and cockroaches will survive? Despite those that are killing one another now??? What do you think about that?

Pogo

We'll see if you can answer this. Some people claim to be members of a religion and then say it's all one big myth in the Bible. How do you feel about that?
It is a fairly good description of a rational Christian who believes in God but realizes that the Bible is a mythological description compiled by humans who believed similarly.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You certainly can't think for me. You are the one that's telling falsehoods about me. So you perhaps want to stop lying by continuing to tell me what I believe. Thanks.
No, if anyone has been telling falsehoods it has been you. Your inability to understand how you are calling your own God a liar does not mean that you are not doing that. But your refusal to learn rather simple concepts does put the blame for calling God a liar back on you. You have no excuse if you refuse to learn.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It's too bad isn't it that many are being killed one way or another in various parts of the world, isn't it? Talk about pushed to the brink, why even think about it, but fortunately scientists who are well versed in these things realize mankind by its own devices is being "pushed to the brink," and is it your hope that humans and cockroaches will survive? Despite those that are killing one another now??? What do you think about that?
It is a pity, but it also has almost nothing to do with what is being discussed here. Unless you want to be an example of how many religious people can be a cause of such violence. You have not been violent, but your actions show how violence can arise among the religious.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

I have never seen any do that so you may be attempting a strawman argument. I have seen rational believers that understood how parts of their religious book were myths and why they fail. They do not believe in an evil God. For some odd reason you do and you cannot understand how you call God evil. When it comes to God you play "Heads God wins, tails, you lose." If God does something evil he is not at fault, even though according to you he is since he is supposed to be omnipotent and omniscient. You cannot claim that God is all loving and say that the myths of Genesis are true. You cannot even say that God is competent and claim that the myths of Genesis are true.

Perhaps you should follow a higher standard than the Bible, which is a book written by man. Have you considered using this standard:

"God does not lie."

You should try it some time and remember that you also believe that God made the Earth.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Does it matter to you what I believe?
Actually, yes. I very much enjoy discussing with people their religious beliefs. Mostly it's just fun, but also because on rare occasion someone will say something significant that validly challenges my current beliefs, and I have the opportunity to grow. Unlike most participants in this forum, my assumption is that, like all humans, I make mistakes and reach wrong conclusions, thus I am always open to change. However, given that I'm 62 and have studied religions my whole life, the odds of encountering any new ideas are pretty low.

YoursTrue

Actually, yes. I very much enjoy discussing with people their religious beliefs. Mostly it's just fun, but also because on rare occasion someone will say something significant that validly challenges my current beliefs, and I have the opportunity to grow. Unlike most participants in this forum, my assumption is that, like all humans, I make mistakes and reach wrong conclusions, thus I am always open to change. However, given that I'm 62 and have studied religions my whole life, the odds of encountering any new ideas are pretty low.
Because I realize from the Bible and from these conversations anything I say is limited -- I shall refrain from some conversations Thanks.

YoursTrue

I have never seen any do that so you may be attempting a strawman argument. I have seen rational believers that understood how parts of their religious book were myths and why they fail. They do not believe in an evil God. For some odd reason you do and you cannot understand how you call God evil. When it comes to God you play "Heads God wins, tails, you lose." If God does something evil he is not at fault, even though according to you he is since he is supposed to be omnipotent and omniscient. You cannot claim that God is all loving and say that the myths of Genesis are true. You cannot even say that God is competent and claim that the myths of Genesis are true.

Perhaps you should follow a higher standard than the Bible, which is a book written by man. Have you considered using this standard:

"God does not lie."

You should try it some time and remember that you also believe that God made the Earth.
So sorry, I believe what you have said is nonsense. About "rational believers." So anyway, why not join them in their ideas and worship? After all, some of them are so intelligent and well-schooled, why not? :)

YoursTrue

It is a pity, but it also has almost nothing to do with what is being discussed here. Unless you want to be an example of how many religious people can be a cause of such violence. You have not been violent, but your actions show how violence can arise among the religious.
I am outspoken, that is true. What about you? Do you think your behavior would not bring out annoyance in some who read your posts? Anyway, I shall refrain from much response to you. Except to encourage you to talk to those who are what you call "rational believers" here. :)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So sorry, I believe what you have said is nonsense. About "rational believers." So anyway, why not join them in their ideas and worship? After all, some of them are so intelligent and well-schooled, why not? :)
I do not believe because there are still immense problems with that belief. You are also asking me to be irrational. A rational person cannot decide to believe something.

And your actions tell me that in regards to the myths of Genesis you know that I am right. Or st the very least you are very afraid that I am. You would not be so afraid to learn the basics of science if that were not the case. Actions speak louder than words.

YoursTrue

Unfortunately, what I see in many here is: "eat, drink, and be merry..." because -- why? some humans and cockroaches will survive? OK, my sense of humor may not be so funny to some...

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I am outspoken, that is true. What about you? Do you think your behavior would not bring out annoyance in some who read your posts? Anyway, I shall refrain from much response to you. Except to encourage you to talk to those who are what you call "rational believers" here. :)
Oh yes. My posts are extremely annoying to those that are afraid and the willfully ignorant. The difference is that I can be honest in my actions. You seem to lack that ability.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Unfortunately, what I see in many here is: "eat, drink, and be merry..." because -- why? some humans and cockroaches will survive? OK, my sense of humor may not be so funny to some...
Well that is unwise. I can see that more often among the young. When one matures one can see how aiding humanity is its own reward. Jesus understood that in the Bible.

YoursTrue

I do not believe because there are still immense problems with that belief. You are also asking me to be irrational. A rational person cannot decide to believe something.

And your actions tell me that in regards to the myths of Genesis you know that I am right. Or st the very least you are very afraid that I am. You would not be so afraid to learn the basics of science if that were not the case. Actions speak louder than words.
Again -- ask certain ones here who claim to go to their respective houses of worship why they go. (I figure maybe it makes them feel good...but how about rationality?) I am NOT afraid to "learn the basics of science" at all. Not in the least. In fact, now that you remind me I am going to look for Scientific American at the library. Now I'm willing to go over rationally some literature you suggest, but -- you have to take the time to discuss it without insults --

YoursTrue

Well that is unwise. I can see that more often among the young. When one matures one can see how aiding humanity is its own reward. Jesus understood that in the Bible.
Here's the problem with that, and I suggest you read it: the incident were Jesus brought sight to a blind man. The Pharisees not only did not like it but contested against the man and Jesus. His parents were so scared of being thrown out of the synagogue if they backed up Jesus that they were quiet.

YoursTrue

@Subduction Zone Oh, and before I forget -- I am sure -- very sure -- that those who go to their respective houses of worship here that you may consider "rational believers" will likely tell you that the miracles accounted for in the Bible are myths. But maybe they just like the idea that a man named Jesus, if he existed, was a nice guy promoting love...:)
and again -- cockroaches surviving...after humans destroying themselves...