• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientists actually do know everything about the universe.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I can tell that a tedious quibble over semantics isn't going to get us anywhere. We are just going to have to agree to disagree,
There is more to it than semantics...but you are welcome to believe what you will and so we can agree to disagree...

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
belief framework?.....as in Genesis?

I have no difficulty coordinating Genesis with science
The big bang belief framework! (Genesis is another matter)

Yes I do too....the universe is eternal and Genesis is about the creation of earth and our star system in particular....not about any other planet or star systems in the milky way or any other galaxy. But I know you have a different take and we have been over it many times.....so I accept that you think the big bang and the Genesis story of creation refer to the same event... :)

godnotgod

Thou art That
belief framework?.....as in Genesis?

I have no difficulty coordinating Genesis with science

Theology-vs-God-02-1024x791.jpg

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The big bang belief framework! (Genesis is another matter)

Yes I do too....the universe is eternal and Genesis is about the creation of earth and our star system in particular....not about any other planet or star systems in the milky way or any other galaxy. But I know you have a different take and we have been over it many times.....so I accept that you think the big bang and the Genesis story of creation refer to the same event... :)
God can be manipulative.....influence one portion of substance......sure

but the universe is not it's own creator

meghanwaterlillies

At least in size and the universe is flat.

http://www.isciencetimes.com/articl...ed-perfect-accuracy-infinite-flat-eternal.htm

Perfect accuracy! Almost.. .
well we need something to have a
At least in size and the universe is flat.

http://www.isciencetimes.com/articl...ed-perfect-accuracy-infinite-flat-eternal.htm

Perfect accuracy! Almost.. .
Oh my science dogma cant be true!!! No it's round. Well find the gravitational pull on it.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Your theology doesn't fit Reality.
it likely does not fit YOUR reality

but aren't 'you' the guy?..... that keeps insisting 'you' are an illusion

'you' don't believe in 'your'self....

and if you cannot deal with the least of things....
how then anything Greater?

meghanwaterlillies

I've seen the Big Bang referred to in two ways: (1) the sudden expansion of our universe very early after it began (inflation) or (2) the the very moment that the universe came into being. In the first case, time already existed. In the second case, the Big Bang was the very first moment of time.

By "finite" I mean a finite amount of time has elapsed since the Big Bang.

They are, in fact, only analogies because we can't perceive four-dimensional shapes. For a more proper understanding of the racetrack analogy, we can imagine that the universe is an infinitely-thin ring and any one-dimensional being living in that ring can only move in two directions: forward and backward. Those are the only two directions that they can perceive or even understand. In a sense, they are living in the edge of their own ring universe. The only directions they can move in will eventually bring them back to their starting point (if we ignore that others will invariably get in their way, since you can't go "around" things in such a universe).

The sphere (or balloon) analogy is the more common one seen in cosmology. The analogy is made by thinking of two-dimensional beings that live embedded in the surface of an expanding balloon, which represents their own two-dimensional space. They can move up, down, left and right and perceive these directions but they can't move "in" or "out" of the balloon's surface because their space is only two-dimensional, not three-dimensional like ours. Like with the ring analogy, they are sort of living inside the edge of their own universe.

Nothing cannot exist, of course, as that would be a self-contradiction. That doesn't mean that time goes back forever, though. Nothing can come before time without also being an oxymoron, so questions like "what was there 25 seconds before the beginning of time?" are as nonsensical as "what does a piece of aluminum smaller than an aluminum atom look like"? This will be true regardless of how the universe came into being.
No it Doesn't that's a man theory, cave man and up. The universe revolves around a stripper pole.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
God can be manipulative.....influence one portion of substance......sure

but the universe is not it's own creator

Depends what you understand the universe to be.....is there a real divide between the manifest and the unmanifest?

If you think God is separate from the universe...where is God located in relation to the universe and from where did the time, space, energy/matter of the universe come?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Depends what you understand the universe to be.....is there a real divide between the manifest and the unmanifest?

If you think God is separate from the universe...where is God located in relation to the universe and from where did the time, space, energy/matter of the universe come?
and Spirit likely has no expectations is regards to location

many believe .....God is everywhere

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
and Spirit likely has no expectations is regards to location

many believe .....God is everywhere
Precisely....there is no real divide between the manifest and the unmanifest....the distinction is only a conceptual one...spirit and matter represent different vibrations of the infinite omnipresent one...

godnotgod

Thou art That
it likely does not fit YOUR reality

but aren't 'you' the guy?..... that keeps insisting 'you' are an illusion

'you' don't believe in 'your'self....

and if you cannot deal with the least of things....
how then anything Greater?

You still cling to 'lesser' and 'greater', not understanding that they are one and the same.

If I do not exist, then there is no such 'your' reality; there is only Reality itself, which your theology does not fit. You want to make Reality conform to your conceptual model, instead of the other way around. I bet you don't even know why you want things this way, do you? I do. Any ideas?

godnotgod

Thou art That
Shouldn't that be CeilingCatNotCeilingCat...

....ah, now you're getting the hang of it!

“We live in illusion and the appearance of things. There is a reality. We are that reality. When you understand this, you see that you are nothing, and being nothing, you are everything. That is all.”

Kalu Rinpoche