• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Micro plastics in Protein

Heyo

Veteran Member
That's not a problem with GMOs but corporate business practices. Monocultured crops os actually scarier than that because a crop ending disease that effects Roundup seeds will be able to infect over 90% of the commercial crop intended for human consumption. But that's the risky business I mentioned, and not really a probablem with GMOs. Even a natural seed would face the same circumstances if it were to be pushed like Roundup.
The problem is that you don't get the one without the other. Most GMO's only modification is that it survives Roundup. No other benefits.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The problem is that you don't get the one without the other. Most GMO's only modification is that it survives Roundup. No other benefits.
Corn. Or maize if you prefer, often also has a built in pesticide. One that is safe for mammals but deadly for insects.

"Corn is the most commonly grown crop in the United States, and most of it is GMO. Most GMO corn is created to resist insect pests or tolerate herbicides. Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) corn is a GMO corn that produces proteins that are toxic to certain insect pests but not to humans, pets, livestock, or other animals. These are the same types of proteins that organic farmers use to control insect pests, and they do not harm beneficial insects, such as ladybugs. GMO Bt corn reduces the need for spraying insecticides while still preventing insect damage. While a lot of GMO corn goes into processed foods and drinks, most of it is used to feed livestock, like cows, and poultry, like chickens."

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Look at the "common" foods they selected for the study. Shrimp? Really? They literally swim in waters full of micro-plastic pollution. Pork? Hardly animals known for discriminating palates. (Both are also treif, so I am like 'Who cares?')
Micro-plastics have been found in almost every location tested, including the air we breath, so it's hardly just the food we eat.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
So? I eschew "plant-based meat substitutes". I seldom eat tofu. Which, by the way, is usually made from genetically modified plants. The chicken and beef I eat are kosher. I'll bet the researchers didn't select kosher meats. The main thing is they picked possibly some of the most plastic riddled foods of them all.

Why do you feel so important as to make a worldwide health concern centered around you specifically?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
We should be more concerned about lack of exercise, smoking, stress and many more important causes of death than micro-plastic ingestion.

I think there is plenty of money and time invested into the problems you bring up.

But that doesn't mean we can't study the impact of something that, with more bioaccumulation, could be of a greater significance. It reminds me of climate change: fears of being inconvenienced or having technology regulated lead to kicking cans down the road that eventually accumulate beyond our ability to deal with them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We're screwed.
Aye, we're all doomed.
But it's always been thus, & always will be.
As for micro-plastics, we don't yet know
effects. They're just one more of modern
maladies, like car fumes, electro-magnetic
waves, & lawyers.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So? I eschew "plant-based meat substitutes". I seldom eat tofu. Which, by the way, is usually made from genetically modified plants. The chicken and beef I eat are kosher. I'll bet the researchers didn't select kosher meats. The main thing is they picked possibly some of the most plastic riddled foods of them all.
So you're quite the food fusser, eh.
I eat what's put in front of me, &
praise the Mrs for her latest triumph.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I think so. It adds perspective. Studying micro-plastic accumulation from eating is akin to studying many other inconsequential issues. The number of cases of people dying from ingesting micro-plastics is zero. We would be as well served studying ingestion of dirt or decaying skin cells which, I would wager, are ingested in much higher concentrations. The biggest risk factors for death swamp any effect of consuming micro-plastics. We should be more concerned about lack of exercise, smoking, stress and many more important causes of death than micro-plastic ingestion.

We can be concerned about all of these things at once. It's not like we can only do one thing at a time.

What is particularly troubling about microplastics compared to all of those other things you list is that microplastics persist for an extremely long time. We're talking thousands of years. All of your other examples are easily within the realm of human control. One cannot just remove all the microplastics in the environment. Once it is there, that's it... done. There's no fixing it. And while the science of the impact of this microplastic pollution is as if yet unclear, we know enough to know that it's bad. The question is more of how bad.

IMHO these researchers are exploiting the hysteria some people have about plastics to make a buck and this study is piffle.

Dude, nobody goes into academic research in environmental science for profit. That's not where the money is. It's in corporate sector, which are the people who would be funding the studies about how smoking doesn't cause cancer, that carbon dioxide emissions aren't a problem, and that microplastics are no big deal so they can keep polluting and harming for their business interest.

Shaul

Premium Member
I think there is plenty of money and time invested into the problems you bring up.

But that doesn't mean we can't study the impact of something that, with more bioaccumulation, could be of a greater significance. It reminds me of climate change: fears of being inconvenienced or having technology regulated lead to kicking cans down the road that eventually accumulate beyond our ability to deal with them.
Again, the number of people killed by this is zero.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

"Portland, Ore. – A new study led by researchers at Ocean Conservancy and the University of Toronto and published today in the journal Environmental Pollution found microplastic particles in 88% of protein food samples tested. The samples were drawn from 16 different protein types* destined for U.S. consumers, including seafood, pork, beef, chicken, tofu, and three different plant-based meat alternatives."

Turns out it doesn't matter what you are eating and drinking these days, you are going to be killing yourself slowly by ingesting invisible micro plastics.

Highest concentrations were found in processed meat sources, but still relatively high even in plain chicken breast.
I never liked cheap shoddy massively overpriced plastic products anyways.

If anything at all, its proving the Fermi Paradox as valid, as probably the rest of the advanced galaxy has already poisoned themselves to death through microplastics.

Shaul

Premium Member
Aside from Jews, that would be about 7 billion people.
There are many millions, if not billions, of people that don't eat at least some of the selected supposedly common foods. For example Muslims don't eat pork and estimates put the number of them in the billions.

MikeF

Premium Member
IMHO these researchers are exploiting the hysteria some people have about plastics to make a buck and this study is piffle.

I would suggest it is not about money but about gaining public support for their cause:

From the article referenced by OP:

"As ocean scientists, my co-authors and I are deeply concerned about the growing plastics crisis in the world’s ocean,” said Dr. George Leonard, Ocean Conservancy’s Chief Scientist and a co-author of the study.​
" Our work is a call to action to reduce plastic pollution in its many forms to ensure a safe and healthy food supply for all consumers."​

MikeF

Premium Member
If microplastics are harmful to life then I guess we have introduced a new selective pressure into ongoing evolution.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Not yet but it's what you would classify as a silent killer once it hits that level where it actually starts to kill.
It will likely be like air pollution. Directly tracking how many humans air pollution kills is difficult - it's a confounding factor for other health conditions (i.e., asthma) that pushes body systems over the edge into flatlining when present over a certain threshold. But we regulate air pollution because the science is sound enough to warrant it. The same will eventually happen with plastic pollution. The problem is we aren't conservative with pushing out new technologies like we should be. You'd think that after the first several dozen times this became an issue humans would smarten up. But profit motive kills sound conservatism when it comes to technology use, unfortunately.

Shaul

Premium Member
I would suggest it is not about money but about gaining public support for their cause:

From the article referenced by OP:

"As ocean scientists, my co-authors and I are deeply concerned about the growing plastics crisis in the world’s ocean,” said Dr. George Leonard, Ocean Conservancy’s Chief Scientist and a co-author of the study.​
" Our work is a call to action to reduce plastic pollution in its many forms to ensure a safe and healthy food supply for all consumers."​
Have it your way. I suggest that the "support" you admit exists is fungible into cash.