• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Micro plastics in Protein

Shaul

Premium Member
Probably because "we all die anyways". So relevant to the OP right?
I think so. It adds perspective. Studying micro-plastic accumulation from eating is akin to studying many other inconsequential issues. The number of cases of people dying from ingesting micro-plastics is zero. We would be as well served studying ingestion of dirt or decaying skin cells which, I would wager, are ingested in much higher concentrations. The biggest risk factors for death swamp any effect of consuming micro-plastics. We should be more concerned about lack of exercise, smoking, stress and many more important causes of death than micro-plastic ingestion.

IMHO these researchers are exploiting the hysteria some people have about plastics to make a buck and this study is piffle.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

"Portland, Ore. – A new study led by researchers at Ocean Conservancy and the University of Toronto and published today in the journal Environmental Pollution found microplastic particles in 88% of protein food samples tested. The samples were drawn from 16 different protein types* destined for U.S. consumers, including seafood, pork, beef, chicken, tofu, and three different plant-based meat alternatives."

Turns out it doesn't matter what you are eating and drinking these days, you are going to be killing yourself slowly by ingesting invisible micro plastics.

Highest concentrations were found in processed meat sources, but still relatively high even in plain chicken breast.

Steve Miller said back in the 70s that "we're living in a plastic land," but now it's really becoming literally true.

I don't know what would happen if we all became plasticized. How much plastic can one ingest before it becomes toxic?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think what remains to be determined is the long term health impacts. Younger generations have the most to worry about. They will endure more exposure.

I wonder if “microplastics free” will be a new category of food options. And how much will that cost?
If ita found it's way to the Mariana Trench a microplastics free option may not be viable.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It won't and so far the hysteria about GMO's appears to be just that. In a world with a growing population at one point it will be GMO's or die. And we will still have crazies against abortion.
I dislike the GMO thing. For starters "gmo" is a very vague, non specific term that mean many different things, including normal agriculture that we've done for thousands of years.
The second issue, piggy backing from the first, what is a GMO? Is this the seedless fruits we eat? Does it include the orange? Is made to withstand very potent herbicides and pesticides?
We can see where Roundup has been an issue (very toxic; evolution of super weeds; risky business with monocultured crop), but as Penn amd Teller described it, it's a bull**** first world concern.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I dislike the GMO thing. For starters "gmo" is a very vague, non specific term that mean many different things, including normal agriculture that we've done for thousands of years.
The second issue, piggy backing from the first, what is a GMO? Is this the seedless fruits we eat? Does it include the orange? Is made to withstand very potent herbicides and pesticides?
We can see where Roundup has been an issue (very toxic; evolution of super weeds; risky business with monocultured crop), but as Penn amd Teller described it, it's a bull**** first world concern.

Everything is a GMO, lol.

image-1604771909.png

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The problem is we don't actually know. But we have a global scale clinical trial going on, no?

Yeah, although it doesn't feel like much fun being a guinea pig in that experiment.

I remember the catch phrase was "better living through chemistry." I also recall Monsanto's "Miracles From Molecules." All these things once touted as wondrous may be the end of us.

InChrist

Free4ever
Except it doesn’t seem like just a first world concern when big corporations go into Mexico or other countries around the world attempting to eliminate their native heirloom corn and other crops so the GMO corporate owned patented crops have a monopoly.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Except it doesn’t seem like just a first world concern when big corporations go into Mexico or other countries around the world attempting to eliminate their native heirloom corn and other crops so the GMO corporate owned patented crops have a monopoly.
That's not a problem with GMOs but corporate business practices. Monocultured crops os actually scarier than that because a crop ending disease that effects Roundup seeds will be able to infect over 90% of the commercial crop intended for human consumption. But that's the risky business I mentioned, and not really a probablem with GMOs. Even a natural seed would face the same circumstances if it were to be pushed like Roundup.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Technically all of that is "artificial selection". GMO is usually reserved for plants that were engineered in the laboratory.

And I swear half of Chinese vegetables are some sort of altered mustard plant.
GMO doesn't actually have anything in the name that precludes artificial selection. The cynic in me suspects the term was deliberately chosen to have that wordy word play (often a type of "soften of language" that George Carlin ranted about) that no one does better than a corporation trying to obscure the truth (them and politicians).

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That's not a problem with GMOs but corporate business practices. Monocultured crops os actually scarier than that because a crop ending disease that effects Roundup seeds will be able to infect over 90% of the commercial crop intended for human consumption. But that's the risky business I mentioned, and not really a probablem with GMOs. Even a natural seed would face the same circumstances if it were to be pushed like Roundup.
I know. There should be a very healthy stock of grains that can be planted if a species specific plant disease ever arises.

Have very limited species makes it less likely to happen. But it also makes the results much much worse if one does develop.