• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JW's Preach A Different Gospel

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
You are free to believe what you like. I am skeptical of it, and even if I were convinced of that, it would make little impact on my life.
I do not believe in either personally, and I will gladly face annihilation if I am wrong.

I am aware that I have been fairly critical of the Watchtower organization in the past.That said, I do actually have a few positive things to say about your organization.
I really do love that you despise warfare, and refuse to fight. I respect that a lot. I also prefer the interpenetration of annihilation to eternal hellfire.

Well thankyou for saying so, i appreciate your comments.

In the end, putting all the theology aside, if our religion doesnt improve the choices we make in life, or doesnt affect how we view our fellow man, its not a very worthwhile endeavor. ;)

Baladas

An Págánach
In the end, putting all the theology aside, if our religion doesnt improve the choices we make in life, or doesnt affect how we view our fellow man, its not a very worthwhile endeavor.

I completely agree. :)

Peace to you, and I am sorry if I insulted you with that quote from my youth pastor.
He is not the most tactful guy, and sometimes I fail in that area as well.

djhwoodwerks

KMG, if this doesn't fit the scope of the thread, let me know and I will delete it.

Good News From God!

Lesson 4

Who Is Jesus Christ?

1. How did Jesus’ life begin?
Unlike any other human, Jesus lived in heaven as a spirit person before he was born on earth. (John 8:23) He was God’s first creation, and he helped in the creation of all other things. He is the only one created directly by Jehovah and is therefore appropriately called God’s “only-begotten” Son. (John 1:14) Jesus served as God’s Spokesman, so he is also called “the Word.”—Read Proverbs 8:22, 23,30;Colossians 1:15, 16.

(Reasoning from the Scripture page 218) Reasonably, then, the archangel Michael is Jesus Christ... So the evidence indicates that the Son of God was known as Michael before he came to earth and is known also by that name since his return to heaven where he resides as the glorified spirit Son of God.

This is an example of how the JW's false teachings go. If this isn't a complete contradiction in teaching, I don't know what is.

How did Jesus' life begin? They teach that "JESUS" lived in heaven before He was born on earth. They teach that "JESUS" is God's first creation and He helped create all other things. They teach that "JESUS" is the only one created directly by God. And through Jesus everything else was created. (This teaching is on their website under GOOD NEWS FROM GOD.)

In their book, Reasoning from the Scriptures on page 218 sub heading, "Is Jesus Christ the same person as Michael the Archangel?" we find this teaching, "Archangel Michael is Jesus Christ." "Evidence indicates that the Son of God was known as Michael "BEFORE" He came to earth and is known also by that name "SINCE HIS RETURN" to heaven." If Jesus was known as Michael "BEFORE" He came to earth, and known as Michael now, since His "RETURN" to heaven, then the "EVIDENCE" indicates that Michael was God's first creation, not Jesus. God created everything else through Michael, not Jesus. And "EVIDENCE" indicates that it will be Michael coming back, not Jesus. Unless Jesus is playing two different roles. While He's in heaven He's Michael, but when He leaves heaven He's Jesus. But that can't be, because the Bible clearly says, Hebrew 13:8 (ESVST) 8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

If I'm not interpreting the two contradicting teachings, please show me where I have missed it.

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
KMG, if this doesn't fit the scope of the thread, let me know and I will delete it.

Good News From God!

Lesson 4

Who Is Jesus Christ?

Unlike any other human, Jesus lived in heaven as a spirit person before he was born on earth. (John 8:23) He was God’s first creation, and he helped in the creation of all other things. He is the only one created directly by Jehovah and is therefore appropriately called God’s “only-begotten” Son. (John 1:14) Jesus served as God’s Spokesman, so he is also called “the Word.”—Read Proverbs 8:22, 23,30;Colossians 1:15, 16.

(Reasoning from the Scripture page 218) Reasonably, then, the archangel Michael is Jesus Christ... So the evidence indicates that the Son of God was known as Michael before he came to earth and is known also by that name since his return to heaven where he resides as the glorified spirit Son of God.

This is an example of how the JW's false teachings go. If this isn't a complete contradiction in teaching, I don't know what is.

How did Jesus' life begin? They teach that "JESUS" lived in heaven before He was born on earth. They teach that "JESUS" is God's first creation and He helped create all other things. They teach that "JESUS" is the only one created directly by God. And through Jesus everything else was created. (This teaching is on their website under GOOD NEWS FROM GOD.)

In their book, Reasoning from the Scriptures on page 218 sub heading, "Is Jesus Christ the same person as Michael the Archangel?" we find this teaching, "Archangel Michael is Jesus Christ." "Evidence indicates that the Son of God was known as Michael "BEFORE" He came to earth and is known also by that name "SINCE HIS RETURN" to heaven." If Jesus was known as Michael "BEFORE" He came to earth, and known as Michael now, since His "RETURN" to heaven, then the "EVIDENCE" indicates that Michael was God's first creation, not Jesus. God created everything else through Michael, not Jesus. And "EVIDENCE" indicates that it will be Michael coming back, not Jesus. Unless Jesus is playing two different roles. While He's in heaven He's Michael, but when He leaves heaven He's Jesus. But that can't be, because the Bible clearly says, Hebrew 13:8 (ESVST) 8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

If I'm not interpreting the two contradicting teachings, please show me where I have missed it.
I started this thread in hopes of bringing more people into the discussion. It seems the other thread, though active, has the same people saying the same things. We need more people to be involved. Your post is very good. Thank you.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I started this thread in hopes of bringing more people into the discussion. It seems the other thread, though active, has the same people saying the same things. We need more people to be involved. Your post is very good. Thank you.

Maybe people are just not as militant in their disdain for the WT as you are ?? Most people (myself included) just ignore the teachings they personally reject.... not many go on a crusade.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student

Good News From God!

Lesson 4

Who Is Jesus Christ?

Let me give you the reply I posted on the other thread......since you obviously didn't "like" what I said.

"What you fail to understand is that Jesus can carry more than one title or name at a time. Names were not labels, but identified a spiritual aspect of the nature of the one bearing it. Jesus has several roles. The Father does not.

Michael: (Miʹcha·el) means "Who Is Like God?"

Logos: (meaning “Word”) is a title given to Jesus Christ.
Any message from the Creator, such as one uttered through a prophet, is also “the word of God.”

Jesus: (Ye·shuʹaʽ or Yehoh·shuʹaʽ) means “Jehovah Is Salvation”

Messiah: From the Hebrew root verb ma·shachʹ, meaning “smear,” and so “anoint.” (Ex 29:2, 7) Messiah (ma·shiʹach) means “anointed” or “anointed one.” The Greek equivalent is Khri·stosʹ, or Christ.—Mt 2:4, ftn.

Lord: The Greek and Hebrew words rendered “lord” (or such related terms as “sir,” “owner,” “master”) are used with reference to Jehovah God (Eze 3:11), Jesus Christ (Mt 7:21), one of the elders seen by John in vision (Re 7:13, 14), angels (Ge 19:1, 2; Da 12:8), men (1Sa 25:24; Ac 16:16, 19, 30), and false deities (1Co 8:5). Often the designation “lord” denotes one who has ownership or authority and power over persons or things. (Ge 24:9; 42:30; 45:8, 9; 1Ki 16:24; Lu 19:33;Ac 25:26; Eph 6:5) This title was applied by Sarah to her husband (Ge 18:12), by children to their fathers (Ge 31:35; Mt 21:28, 29), and by a younger brother to his older brother (Ge 32:5, 6). It appears as a title of respect addressed to prominent persons, public officials, prophets, and kings. (Ge 23:6; 42:10; Nu 11:28; 2Sa 1:10; 2Ki 8:10-12; Mt 27:63) When used in addressing strangers, “lord,” or “sir,” served as a title of courtesy.—Joh 12:21; 20:15; Ac 16:30.

Whatever role Jesus is found in, the name (or title) he bears is a reflection of that role. It isn't like we in the English speaking world having only one name for all of our lives. Most of the time the meaning of our names is of little consequence.....it isn't like that in the Hebrew Scriptures.

Yahweh is the only one in the scriptures who has a name that never changes. (Ex 3:15) He has various titles, like his son, but he never changes his name."

Jesus has several names and his roles can overlap. As the Logos, he can still be Michael. He is rightly addressed as "Lord" and "Savior" whilst still bearing the name Jesus the Christ. As Jesus Christ he was still the Logos (God's spokesman)

The scripture that you quoted from "Hebrew 13:8 (ESVST) 8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever" cannot mean what you are saying because before his human birth, Jesus Christ did not exist. Since he was only given that name at the time of his human birth, his role in heaven before coming to earth determined his name. We believe he was Micheal. It is a belief though, not a doctrine. It is not categorically stated in the scriptures and nothing would change in our overall belief system if Michael proved not to be Jesus Christ. All we know for certain is that Jesus is NOT Almighy God.

Can you show us one scripture where either God or his Christ ever made a direct statement to that effect? For such an important doctrine, wouldn't you think there would be at least one categorical, non negotiable statement that there was a three in one godhead where all three shared in an equal triune existence? Wouldn't you think that the Jews would have known to expect God to become a human and offer his life in sacrifice for them? Surely their scriptures would have told them about such an exciting event? But this is not the case.

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
Maybe people are just not as militant in their disdain for the WT as you are ?? Most people (myself included) just ignore the teachings they personally reject.... not many go on a crusade.

Please consider your Watchtower organization, which you are a member of.. Are you not militant against ALL CHRISTENDOM? Aren't you like the pot calling the kettle black here?

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
JW'S PREACH A FALSE GOSPEL AND ANOTHER JESUS!

False apostles in Corinth were doing the same.

But I am afraid that just as the serpent deceived Eve by his treachery, your minds may be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ. For if someone comes and proclaims another Jesus different from the one we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit than the one you received, or a different gospel than the one you accepted, you put up with it well enough! ~2 Corinthians 11:3-4

WHEN DID PETER, PAUL, JOHN OR OTHERS PREACH JESUS IS MICHAEL THE ARCHANGEL?

The first chapter of the book of Hebrews teaches that Jesus is superior to the angels.

In Hebrews 1, Jesus is sperior to angels, the Father commanded ALL the angels to worship His Son.

1 In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe. 3 The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. 4 So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs.

5For to which of the angels did God ever say,
“You are my Son; today I have become your Father”? Or again, “I will be his Father,
and he will be my Son”? 6 And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says,
“Let all God’s angels worship him.”

And if you look closely at Scripture related to the angel Michael, in Daniel 10:13, we see that Michael is really only “one of ” the leading princes/chief princes/chief angels/archangels, pick your translation.

So if Michael is merely one of the chief angels/princes, then he clearly isn’t above all the angels, and clearly isn’t the one and only Son of God.

Another important difference between Jesus and Michael is that Michael could not rebuke Satan in His own power (Jude 9), while Jesus could and did (Matthew 4:10).

9 But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not himself dare to condemn him for slander but said, "The Lord rebuke you!"

10 Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only. ”

Last edited:

djhwoodwerks

I realize, that on the other thread KMG started about the GB, I was rude and condescending about your religion and beliefs, and for that I humbly apologize. If one of you would let Pegg know I apologize to her as well, I would greatly appreciate it.

I hope you can see my confusion in what you are telling me, what your literature says and what the Bible says.

The scripture that you quoted from "Hebrew 13:8 (ESVST) 8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever" cannot mean what you are saying because before his human birth, Jesus Christ did not exist. Since he was only given that name at the time of his human birth, his role in heaven before coming to earth determined his name.

*** rs p. 216-p. 217 Jesus Christ ***
Did Jesus have a heavenly existence before he became a human?

Col. 1:15-17, RS: “He [Jesus] is the image of the invisible God, the first-born of all creation . . . All things were created through him and for him. He is before all things.”

John 17:5, RS: “[In prayer Jesus said:] Father, glorify thou me in thy own presence with the glory which I had with thee before the world was made.” (Also John 8:23)

The above verses seem to be arguing the existence of "Jesus" before His birth. It doesn't say He was Michael. If they are not, it is very misleading to say the least.

Col 1:15-17 (ESVST) 15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities — all things were created through him and for him. 17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

This is my understanding of it all, if (the role) "Jesus Christ" did not exist before His birth, it was (the role) Michael that was directly created by God, (because the role of Christ did not exist), and it was through (the role) Michael that everything else was created (because the role of Christ did not exist). If Jesus Christ did not exist before His birth, "the role" of Jesus did not exist (before His birth) when God created Michael. So in all actuality, it is said of Michael, "He is the first born of all creation, and, by him all other things were created."

If the role of Jesus did not exist before the birth of Jesus, it cannot be said of Him that "Jesus" is God's first creation. It has to be Michael.

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
I realize, that on the other thread KMG started about the GB, I was rude and condescending about your religion and beliefs, and for that I humbly apologize. If one of you would let Pegg know I apologize to her as well, I would greatly appreciate it.

I hope you can see my confusion in what you are telling me, what your literature says and what the Bible says.

*** rs p. 216-p. 217 Jesus Christ ***
Did Jesus have a heavenly existence before he became a human?

Col. 1:15-17, RS: “He [Jesus] is the image of the invisible God, the first-born of all creation . . . All things were created through him and for him. He is before all things.”

John 17:5, RS: “[In prayer Jesus said:] Father, glorify thou me in thy own presence with the glory which I had with thee before the world was made.” (Also John 8:23)

The above verses seem to be arguing the existence of "Jesus" before His birth. It doesn't say He was Michael. If they are not, it is very misleading to say the least.

Col 1:15-17 (ESVST) 15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities — all things were created through him and for him. 17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

This is my understanding of it all, if (the role) "Jesus Christ" did not exist before His birth, it was (the role) Michael that was directly created by God, (because the role of Christ did not exist), and it was through (the role) Michael that everything else was created (because the role of Christ did not exist). If Jesus Christ did not exist before His birth, "the role" of Jesus did not exist (before His birth) when God created Michael. So in all actuality, it is said of Michael, "He is the first born of all creation, and, by him all other things were created."

If the role of Jesus did not exist before the birth of Jesus, it cannot be said of Him that "Jesus" is God's first creation. It has to be Michael.

I have not seen you post anything rude to anyone. If you had, the mods would have let you know. Standing for truth against a false religion such as Watchtower is not being rude. It's contending for the faith, which is what we have been commanded to do. Attacking Watchtower and their teachings is not attacking any JW personally. It is no more of an attack than the JW's preaching that all of Christendom is lost.

Your posts are great! Keep them coming. If we can prevent just one soul from falling into the web of lies being preached by Watchtower, then we have done a great thing!

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
There is no reason for the text to call Jesus -- G-d, if the authors were not intending to mean, JHVH. This seems to be what they were intending, and is the traditional belief of Xians.

JFish123

I think that it's funny that they have made it to say that there are multiple gods.
However, this obviously threatens to end their monotheism. I believe that they hold "god" to mean a mighty being or person, but not like "God" God (JWs correct me if I am mistaken).

No, not in traditional Christianity. JWs don't agree with the notion that the Spirit is a "person" (basically, that it has any form or personality). To them, it is the power of God (JWs, once again please correct me if I'm wrong on this). The idea of the Trinity is that Father, Son and Spirit are all parts of the same God.
It's like the "Godhead" is a circle and the three are contained within it...or like the clover with the three leaves. Each leaf is distinct, but they are all the clover.

They're distinct persons, but the same Being.
It's a bit unclear to me how the idea of the Trinity was conceived but it fascinates me. lol :D
St. Patrick tries to explain the Trinity in analogies: Lutheran Humor I found lol

JFish123

The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit are the same in nature and essence but different in person as it's throughout the Scriptures.
The Best Analogy:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435777393.616117.jpg

Aquitaine

The JW's preach a different and false gospel. Those who preach another gospel are accursed (Gal. 1:6)

"Let the honest-hearted person compare the kind of preaching of the gospel done by the religious systems of Christendom during all the centuries with that done by Jehovah's Witnesses since the end of World War I in 1918. They are not one and the same kind. That of Jehovah's Witnesses is really "gospel" or "good news," as of God's heavenly kingdom that was established by the enthronement of his Son Jesus Christ at the end of the Gentile Times in 1914." (Watchtower, May 1, 1981, p. 17)

You're all preaching artificial literature anyway, so what does it really matter?
Do you really think standard Christianity is any less bizarre than the church of Jehovah?

JFish123

You're all preaching artificial literature anyway, so what does it really matter?
Do you really think standard Christianity is any less bizarre than the church of Jehovah?
Well what's more bizarre as you call it? What the texts actually says in a document, or taking what it says and mistranslating it to fit your ideology?

Aquitaine

Well what's more bizarre as you call it? What the texts actually says in a document, or taking what it says and mistranslating it to fit your ideology?

Given that the Biblical texts have been translated by various different people, in to various different languages, from various different time periods, I kind of see all methods of interpretation as pointless.
Then there's the issue of subjective human interpretation, which itself negates any point in bothering to interpret a "holy" text in the first place, since the "word of God" is being interpreted subjectively by humans who will inevitably misinterpret a significant portion of it.

All I think of when I see people from various branches of similar faiths arguing over the validity of their scriptures is: "my subjective interpretation is better than yours".

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
Given that the Biblical texts have been translated by various different people, in to various different languages, from various different time periods, I kind of see all methods of interpretation as pointless.
Then there's the issue of subjective human interpretation, which itself negates any point in bothering to interpret a "holy" text in the first place, since the "word of God" is being interpreted subjectively by humans who will inevitably misinterpret a significant portion of it.

All I think of when I see people from various branches of similar faiths arguing over the validity of their scriptures is: "my subjective interpretation is better than yours".
So your answer to the problem is that we toss out ALL translations?