• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JW's Preach A Different Gospel

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
The JW's preach a different gospel.
"Let the honest-hearted person compare the kind of preaching of the gospel done by the religious systems of Christendom during all the centuries with that done by Jehovah's Witnesses since the end of World War I in 1918. They are not one and the same kind. That of Jehovah's Witnesses is really "gospel" or "good news," as of God's heavenly kingdom that was established by the enthronement of his Son Jesus Christ at the end of the Gentile Times in 1914." (Watchtower, May 1, 1981, p. 17)

Skwim

Veteran Member
Curious; are there any meaningful differences between the New World Translation (JW) bible and the other bible versions, or is it all in the interpretation?

Baladas

An Págánach
Curious; are there any meaningful differences between the New World Translation (JW) bible and the other bible versions, or is it all in the interpretation?
Sorry to butt in, but I would say that this is somewhat in the eye of the beholder.

From the standpoint of Christian theology, there are very distinct differences between the NWT and the other translations.
Primarily, the difference between Jesus being "a god" or being "God" (capital G) in John 1:1.
It's a very meaningful difference, especially if you are a Christian.

It no longer has any real bearing on me, but after examining the texts and studying for myself, I concur with the majority of experts (which I make no claim to be) that "God" is most likely the correct translation...whether or not that has "meaning" is up to the individual methinks.

Baladas

An Págánach
The JW's preach a different and false gospel. Those who preach another gospel are accursed (Gal. 1:6)

"Let the honest-hearted person compare the kind of preaching of the gospel done by the religious systems of Christendom during all the centuries with that done by Jehovah's Witnesses since the end of World War I in 1918. They are not one and the same kind. That of Jehovah's Witnesses is really "gospel" or "good news," as of God's heavenly kingdom that was established by the enthronement of his Son Jesus Christ at the end of the Gentile Times in 1914." (Watchtower, May 1, 1981, p. 17)

To quote my old youth pastor: "If Jesus is already back, He's doing a crappy job."

Skwim

Veteran Member
Sorry to butt in, but I would say that this is somewhat in the eye of the beholder.

From the standpoint of Christian theology, there are very distinct differences between the NWT and the other translations.
Primarily, the difference between Jesus being "a god" or being "God" (capital G) in John 1:1.
It's a very meaningful difference, especially if you are a Christian.

It no longer has any real bearing on me, but after examining the texts and studying for myself, I concur with the majority of experts (which I make no claim to be) that "God" is most likely the correct translation...whether or not that has "meaning" is up to the individual methinks.
Interesting in that the New World Translation admits that there is more than one god.

NEW WORLD TRANSLATION
John 1:1
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.

Q. Is the holy spirit/ghost also a different god than god the father?

Baladas

An Págánach
Interesting in that the New World Translation admits that there is more than one god.

NEW WORLD TRANSLATION
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.

Q. Is the holy spirit/ghost a different god than god the father?

I think that it's funny that they have made it to say that there are multiple gods.
However, this obviously threatens to end their monotheism. I believe that they hold "god" to mean a mighty being or person, but not like "God" God (JWs correct me if I am mistaken).

No, not in traditional Christianity. JWs don't agree with the notion that the Spirit is a "person" (basically, that it has any form or personality). To them, it is the power of God (JWs, once again please correct me if I'm wrong on this). The idea of the Trinity is that Father, Son and Spirit are all parts of the same God.
It's like the "Godhead" is a circle and the three are contained within it...or like the clover with the three leaves. Each leaf is distinct, but they are all the clover.

They're distinct persons, but the same Being.
It's a bit unclear to me how the idea of the Trinity was conceived but it fascinates me. lol :D

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
Yes there are major differences. They've added the name Jehovah into the NT where it doesn't appear in any Greek manuscript. They've added other words to support their doctrine.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
It's not and interpretation issue. They actually changed the word sheol from grave to hell in order to make hell seem like it's only the grave. Whether that's true or not is beside the point, they changed the word.

Skwim

Veteran Member
It's not and interpretation issue. They actually changed the word sheol from grave to hell in order to make hell seem like it's only the grave. Whether that's true or not is beside the point, they changed the word.
Got a chapter and verse for this one?

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student

NEW WORLD TRANSLATION

Q. Is the holy spirit/ghost also a different god than god the father?

Where in the Bible is the holy spirit called "God". "Holy Ghost" was an introduced term like "God the Holy Spirit"...there is no such language in the Bible. "Ghost" is derived from a German word "geist" meaning "spirit".

There are other "gods" spoken about in the Bible.....even satan is called a god. (2 Cor 4:3,4) It simply means a"mighty or powerful" personage. It is not a title that is used exclusively for the Father. So in John 1:1 there are two divine persons spoken about....one is "a god" (theos) and the other is "THE God" (ho theos).

Why in John 17:3 is "knowing the only true God and the one he sent forth, Jesus Christ" a requirement for everlasting life but the holy spirit is missing? Do we not need to know "him"? Or is there no one to know?

When Stephen was granted a heavenly vision before his death, he saw God and Jesus at his right hand....but no one was on his left? Why is the holy spirit missing from this vision? Was it because Stephen was "filled with holy spirit? (Acts 7:55, 56)

In the Bible, the Father has a name, one that is uniquely his....YHWH. (Jehovah) His son also has a name, Yeshua (Jesus). But the holy spirit is nameless.

1 Cor 11:3...."But I want you to know that the head of every man is the Christ; in turn, the head of a woman is the man; in turn, the head of the Christ is God."

How can God be the head of Christ if Jesus is also God? They are supposedly equal.

How does Jesus have a God in heaven? (Rev 3:12)

Why is Jesus called "the beginning of God's creation" in Rev 3:14?

Last edited:

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
THE REAL GOOD NEWS OF JESUS CHRIST-

PETER PREACHED THE GOOD NEWS

Acts 2
22 “Fellow Israelites, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know. 23 This man was handed over to you by God’s deliberate plan and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men, put him to death by nailing him to the cross. 24 But God raised him from the dead, freeing him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on him.
36“Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah.”

THE RESPONSE OF THE PEOPLE TO THE GOOD NEWS

37 When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?

PETER'S ANSWER TO THE PEOPLE

38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.”

PETER WARNS AND PLEADS WITH THE PEOPLE

40 With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.”

THE RESULT OF THE GOOD NEWS BEING PREACHED

41 Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.

47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

THE JW'S FALSE GOSPEL

"Let the honest-hearted person compare the kind of preaching of the gospel of the Kingdom done by the religious systems of Christendom during all the centuries with that done by Jehovah's Witnesses since the end of World War I in 1918. They are not one and the same kind. That of Jehovah's Witnesses is really "gospel," or "good news," as of God's heavenly kingdom that was established by the enthronement of his Son Jesus Christ at the end of the Gentile Times in 1914."

WHICH GOSPEL DO YOU PREACH, PETER'S OR THE JW'S?

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student

WHICH GOSPEL DO YOU PREACH, PETER'S OR THE JW'S?

Both. All that was posted by kmg is part of the good news....but there is not one mention of "the kingdom" in those verses.
Christianity had to first convince the Jews and later, the Gentiles, about Jesus as the Christ. So pointing out the reasons for his death and resurrection were a vital part of that message. But the kingdom was yet future, so it is still a vital part of the good news....especially in our day when the kingdom is about to "come".

How many in Christendom who pray the Lord's Prayer in church, know how and when the kingdom "comes"? And how God's will is "done on earth as it is in heaven"?

If Jesus told us to 'preach the good news of the kingdom'....then what the kingdom is, is what needs to be understood as part of the fact that Jesus came to earth to give his life for us in the first place.

When he said to "seek first the kingdom and (God's) righteousness" (Matt 6:33)......then what is this "kingdom" that we seek?....and what is the good news about it?

If Christians do not know what the kingdom is, then they cannot preach about it. Knowledge of the kingdom is but one of the beliefs that separates JW's from Christendom.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

its good to compare notes...but the fact is that the verse in John 1:1 can be translated as either 'God' or 'a god'

Both are technically correct. What a translator chooses to use depends on his opinion and there are numerous other translators who did not use 'God' because they dont see how it fits with what comes directly after it....'and the Word was WITH God'

The verse has two subjects, not one.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
To quote my old youth pastor: "If Jesus is already back, He's doing a crappy job."

Perhaps your pastor was not aware that the 'sign of Jesus presence' as listed in Matthew chapter 24 is accompanied by a time of trouble on earth.

Matt 24:3 While he was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples approached him privately, saying: “Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of your presence*+ and of the conclusion of the system of things?”*+

4 In answer Jesus said to them: “Look out that nobody misleads you,+ 5 for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will mislead many.+ 6 You are going to hear of wars and reports of wars. See that you are not alarmed, for these things must take place, but the end is not yet.+

7 “For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom,+ and there will be food shortages+ and earthquakes in one place after another.+8 All these things are a beginning of pangs of distress.

All this trouble IS THE SIGN that Jesus is present and ruling. The scriptures also show us why all this trouble starts when Jesus begins his rule.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

.How can we 'change a word' ???

Sheol is a hebrew word. Hell is an english word.

The Jewish translators of the Greek Septuagint translated the word 'sheol' as the greek equivalent 'hades' and the english translators translate 'hades' as 'hell'

They are all one and the same word in different languages. All mean the grave. But the christisans changed the 'meaning' of 'hell' and 'hades' to mean something its not. They want us to believe it means a firey place of torment.

Ever heard of the old english expression, 'helling potatotes' Look it up if you want to find out what the old english word hell originally meant.

Baladas

An Págánach
Perhaps your pastor was not aware that the 'sign of Jesus presence' as listed in Matthew chapter 24 is accompanied by a time of trouble on earth.

Matt 24:3 While he was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples approached him privately, saying: “Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of your presence*+ and of the conclusion of the system of things?”*+

4 In answer Jesus said to them: “Look out that nobody misleads you,+ 5 for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will mislead many.+ 6 You are going to hear of wars and reports of wars. See that you are not alarmed, for these things must take place, but the end is not yet.+

7 “For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom,+ and there will be food shortages+ and earthquakes in one place after another.+8 All these things are a beginning of pangs of distress.

All this trouble IS THE SIGN that Jesus is present and ruling. The scriptures also show us why all this trouble starts when Jesus begins his rule.

Alright then.
Remember that this is not a matter of great personal concern to me.

That said, I will say that I see no reason to believe that those verse refer to Christ already being present.
There is literally nothing there to make anyone think that. Is that from your altered version?

My copy does not say "presence" or "conclusion of the system of things". It says "coming" and "the end of the age".
Huge differences there.

No need to insult my old pastor for not buying what the Watchtower sells.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Alright then.
Remember that this is not a matter of great personal concern to me.

That said, I will say that I see no reason to believe that those verse refer to Christ already being present.
There is literally nothing there to make anyone think that. Is that from your altered version?

My copy does not say "presence" or "conclusion of the system of things". It says "coming" and "the end of the age".
Huge differences there.

Your bible likely does say 'coming'
But the word they are translating is 'parousia' Its the greek word used in the original language which they erroneously translate as 'coming'
The word means presence, not coming. If you say you are coming, it means you have not arrived yet. But if you arrive somewhere, you can say you are 'present'

No need to insult my old pastor for not buying what the Watchtower sells.

Sorry if it sounded like an insult. Its really not. I dont like to insult anyone.

Baladas

An Págánach
its good to compare notes...but the fact is that the verse in John 1:1 can be translated as either 'God' or 'a god'

Both are technically correct. What a translator chooses to use depends on his opinion and there are numerous other translators who did not use 'God' because they dont see how it fits with what comes directly after it....'and the Word was WITH God'

The verse has two subjects, not one.

You are free to believe what you like. I am skeptical of it, and even if I were convinced of that, it would make little impact on my life.
I do not believe in either personally, and I will gladly face annihilation if I am wrong.

I am aware that I have been fairly critical of the Watchtower organization in the past.That said, I do actually have a few positive things to say about your organization.
I really do love that you despise warfare, and refuse to fight. I respect that a lot. I also prefer the interpenetration of annihilation to eternal hellfire.