• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the word "Ahimsa" or nonviolence mentioned in Yajurveda?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Its good that at last one did find Ahimsa as a part of a word.

It's not part of a word. That is how Sanskrit inflects.

Please quote all such verses that mention Ahimsa as a word or a part of a word

What is this, 10th Grade Composition? You want to know where it is, look it up. Actually, these do sound like homework assignments. I didn't like doing my own, much less someone else's.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Is the word "Ahimsa" or nonviolence mentioned in Yajurveda?

We discuss every chapter/verse in Rigveda in which the word "peace" has been used in the translation by Griffith, one by one in this thread:

1. [01-013] HYMN XIII. Agni
1 AGNI, well-kindled, bring the Gods for him who offers holy gifts.
Worship them, Purifier, Priest.
2 Son of Thyself, present, O Sage, our sacrifice to the Gods today.
Sweet to the taste, that they may feast.
3 Dear Narasamsa, sweet of tongue, the giver of oblations, I
Invoke to this our sacrifice.
4 Agni, on thy most easy car, glorified, hither bring the Gods:
Manu appointed thee as Priest.
5 Strew, O ye wise, the sacred grass that drips with oil, in order due,
Where the Immortal is beheld.
6 Thrown open be the Doors Divine, unfailing, that assist the rite,
For sacrifice this day and now.
7 I call the lovely Night and Dawn to seat them on the holy grass
At this our solemn sacrifice.
8 The two Invokers I invite, the wise, divine and sweet of tongue,
To celebrate this our sacrifice.
9 Ila, Sarasvati, Mahi, three Goddesses who bring delight,
Be seated, peaceful, on the grass.
10 Tvastar I call, the earliest born, the wearer of all forms at will:
May he be ours and curs alone.
11 God, Sovran of the Wood, present this our oblation to the Gods,
And let the giver be renowned.
12 With Svaha. pay the sacrifice to Indra in the offerer's house:
Thither I call the Deities.

http://www.sanskritweb.net/rigveda/griffith.pdf

It is about three "Goddesses" being peaceful , not about one human being not harming others humans or animal, so it is not related to the term Ahimsa exactly as being used by Hinduism currently. Right? Please

Regards

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I never claimed to be a scholar. If one would search for the archaeology of the Arctic and its people, one would find no trace of "Arya/n" anywhere or nowhere.
If you re not a scholar and do not even follow scholarly finds, then why are you making these claim? Just out of some spite? The least you can do is to check with Wikipedia

"The Afanasevo culture (Афанасьева: also spelled Afanasievo, Afanásyva etc.) is the earliest Eneolithic archaeological culture found until now in south Siberia, occupying the Minusinsk Basin and the Altai Mountains from 3300 to 2500 BC. Afanasevan sites have also been claimed for Mongolia and Western China. It is named after Afanaseva Gora, also known as Bateni.

Dating: Conventional archaeological understanding tended to date at around 2000–2500 BC. However radiocarbon gave dates as early as 3705 BC on wooden tools and 2874 BC on human remains. The earliest of these dates have now been rejected, giving a date of around 3300 BC for the start of the culture."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afanasevo_culture

The distance of Minusinsk from Arctic circle is around 1600 km with no major physical obstruction. At 20 km/day, this can be covered in 80 days.
upload_2016-9-8_7-28-36.png upload_2016-9-8_7-29-0.png
Minusinsk.jpg
220px-Afanasevo_provisional.png

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"The Corded Ware culture (German: Schnurkeramik; French: ceramique cordée; Dutch: touwbekercultuur) comprises a broad Indo-European archaeological horizon of Europe between c. 2900 BCE — circa 2350 BCE, thus from the late Neolithic, through the Copper Age, and ending in the early Bronze Age. Corded Ware culture encompassed a vast area, from the Rhine on the west to the Volga in the east, occupying parts of Northern Europe, Central Europe and Eastern Europe."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corded_Ware_culture
220px-Map_Corded_Ware_culture-en.svg.png

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
If you re not a scholar and do not even follow scholarly finds, then why are you making these claim? Just out of some spite? The least you can do is to check with Wikipedia
"The Afanasevo culture (Афанасьева: also spelled Afanasievo, Afanásyva etc.) is the earliest Eneolithic archaeological culture found until now in south Siberia, occupying the Minusinsk Basin and the Altai Mountains from 3300 to 2500 BC. Afanasevan sites have also been claimed for Mongolia and Western China. It is named after Afanaseva Gora, also known as Bateni.
Dating: Conventional archaeological understanding tended to date at around 2000–2500 BC. However radiocarbon gave dates as early as 3705 BC on wooden tools and 2874 BC on human remains. The earliest of these dates have now been rejected, giving a date of around 3300 BC for the start of the culture."
The distance of Minusinsk from Arctic circle is around 1600 km with no major physical obstruction. At 20 km/day, this can be covered in 80 days.
View attachment 14371 View attachment 14372
View attachment 14373

One may like to read post #134 in another thread very much related here. Please
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

View attachment 14371 View attachment 14372
View attachment 14373

Please read a very informative post #43
written by friend
34272.jpg
@Satyamavejayanti and kindly refute all his good arguments there in that thread and also here one by one. Please
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Veda does not support your point of view, that is what it means, as you could not quote from Veda. Please
Regards

Satyamavejayanti

Please read a very informative post #43
written by friend
34272.jpg
@Satyamavejayanti and kindly refute all his good arguments there in that thread and also here one by one. Please
Regards

Namaste,

I hope you are not trying to pit Dharmic peoples against each other? it seems that we all have to think the same way, have the same opinions, believe in the same books ect for our observations/arguments to be considered valid by you, otherwise i have noticed that you try to refute one persons Hidnu/Dharmic claims by another persons Hindu/Dharmic claims, instead of having your own opinion or argument on the issue.

You seem to hold your self in some higher standard then the Vedas and the people who consider the Veda as sacred or valid in some way, sitting up high on your self assumed superior religious position, judging us lower idol worshipers and Kafirs and pitting us against each other just for the fun of it.

Hope this is not the case, but your posts seem to suggest this trend.

Why don't YOU refute my arguments? I did not reply to Aup but i replied to YOU.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Rig Veda 5.64.6

अस्य परियस्य शर्मण्य अहिंसानस्य सश्चिरे ||
asya priyasya śarmaṇy ahiṃsānasya saścire ||
Men go protected in the charge of this dear Friend who harms us not.

ahiMsA अहिंसा

BOOYAH!!! :)

We discuss every chapter/verse in Rigveda in which the word "peace" has been used in the translation by Griffith, one by one in this thread:
2. [01-067] HYMN LXVII. Agni.

1. VICTORIOUS in the wood, Friend among men, ever he claims obedience as a King.
Gracious like peace, blessing like mental power, Priest was he, offering-bearer, full of thought.
2 He, bearing in his hand all manly might, crouched in the cavern, struck the Gods with fear.
Men filled with understanding find him there, when they have sting prayers formed within their
heart.
3 He, like the Unborn, holds the broad earth up; and with effective utterance fixed the sky.
O Agni, guard the spots which cattle love: thou, life of all, hast gone from lair to lair.
4 Whoso hath known him dwelling in his lair, and hath approached the stream of holy Law,-
They who release him, paying sacred rites, -truly to such doth he announce great wealth.
5 He who grows mightily in herbs, within each fruitful mother and each babe she bears,
Wise, life of all men, in the waters' home,-for him have sages built as 'twere a seat

It is about "Agni" being peaceful, not about one human being not harming others humans or animal, so it is not related to the term Ahimsa exactly as coined by Hinduism currently or in Post-Vedic-Period. Right? Please
Is Agni peaceful? Please
  • "Agni (pronounced ăgˈnē;[1] Sanskrit: अग्नि Agni) is the Rigvedic deity of fire[2] and the conveyor of sacrifices to the gods. He is also a god of divine knowledge, who leads man to the gods. He was one of the most important of the Vedic gods."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agni
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agni_(missile)

Regards

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Rig Veda 5.64.6

ahiMsA अहिंसा

3. [04-050] HYMN L. Brhaspati*.
1. Him who with might hath propped earth's ends, who sitteth in threefold seat, Brhaspati, with thunder,
Him of the pleasant tongue have ancient sages, deep-thinking, holy singers, set before them.
2 Wild in their course, in well-marked wise rejoicing were they, Brhaspati, who pressed around us.
Preserve Brhaspati, the stall uninjured, this company's raining, ever-moving birthplace.
3 Brhaspati, from thy remotest distance have they sat down who love the law eternal.
For thee were dug wells springing from the mountain, which murmuring round about pour streams of sweetness.
4 Brhaspati, when first he had his being from mighty splendour in supremest heaven,
Strong, with his sevenfold mouth, with noise of thunder, with his seven rays, blew and dispersed the
darkness.
5 With the loud-shouting band who sang his praises, with thunder, he destroyed obstructive Vala.
Brhaspati thundering drave forth the cattle, the lowing cows who make oblations ready.
6 Serve we with sacrifices, gifts, and homage even thus the Steer of all the Gods, the Father.
Brhaspati, may we be lords of riches, with noble progeny and store of heroes.
7 Surely that King by power and might heroic hath made him lord of all his foes' posses-ions,
Who cherishes Brhaspati well-tended, adorns and worships him as foremost sharer.
8 In his own house he dwells in peace and comfort: to him for ever holy food flows richly.
To him the people with free will pay homage-the King with whom the Brahman hatb precedence.
9 He, unopposed, is master of the riches.of his own subjects and of hostile people.
The Gods uphold that King with their protection who helps the Brahman when he seeks his favour.
10 Indra, Brhaspati, rainers of treasure, rejoicing at this sacrifice drink the Soma.
Let the abundant drops sink deep within you: vouchsafe us riches with full store of heroes.
11 Brhaspati and Indra, make us prosper may this be your benevolence to usward.
Assist our holy thoughts, wake up our spirit: weaken the hatred of our foe and rivals.​

*"Bṛhaspati (Sanskrit: बृहस्पति, often written as Brihaspati) is an Indian name, and refers to different mythical figures depending on the age of the text.[1] In ancient Hindu literature Brihaspati is a Vedic era sage who counsels the gods,"
-
"Sage
Bṛhaspati appears in the Rigveda (pre-1000 BCE), such as in the dedications to him in the hymn 50 of Book 4;[5] he is described as a sage born from the first great light, the one who drove away darkness, is bright and pure, and carries a special bow whose string is Rta or "cosmic order" (basis of dharma).[4][6] His knowledge and character is revered, and he is considered Guru (teacher) by all the Devas.[7] In the Vedic literature and other ancient texts, sage Brihaspati is also called by other names such as Brahmanaspati, Purohita, Angirasa (son of Angiras) and Vyasa;[2]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bṛhaspati

One could see that peace in this chapter is not in the meaning of Ahimsa or non-violence or not hurting and harming others. Please
Regards

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
One could see that peace in this chapter is not in the meaning of Ahimsa or non-violence or not hurting and harming others.

No one ever said the two words mean the same thing. One can't see that the word ahiṃsā is used in verse 5.64.6 of the Rig Veda? o_O Do you know what the Sanskrit word for peace is? It's śāntiḥ. You'll see that they are two different words, and can co-exist in the same text.

Did one learn something from this? Or is one going to keep trying to play "ah ha! gotcha!" and being wrong?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Rig Veda 5.64.6

ahiMsA अहिंसा

4.[05-037] HYMN XXXVII. Indra.

1. BEDEWED with holy oil and meetly worshipped, the Swift One vies with Surya's beam in
splendour.
For him may mornings dawn without cessation who saith, Let us press Soma out for Indra.
2 With kindled fire and strewn grass let him worship, and, Soma-presser, sing with stones adjusted:
And let the priest whose press-stones ring forth loudly, go down with his oblation to the river.
3 This wife is coming near who loves her husband who carries to his home a vigorous consort.
Here may his car seek fame, here loudly thunder, and his wheel make a thousand revolutions.
4 No troubles vex that King in whose home Indra drinks the sharp Soma juice with milk commingled.
With heroes he drives near, he slays the foeman: Blest, cherishing that name, he guards his people.
5 May he support in peace and win in battle: he masters both the hosts that meet together.
Dear shall he be to Surya, dear to Agni, who with pressed Soma offers gifts to Indra.

Peace is once mentioned while hosts/foemen/battle outnumber the peace.
One could see that peace in this chapter is not in the meaning of Ahimsa or non-violence or not hurting and harming others. Please
Regards

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
One could see that peace in this chapter is not in the meaning of Ahimsa or non-violence or not hurting and harming others.

No, it's not. What's your point? Peace and nonviolence are not the same thing. I could live in the most peaceful utopia on Earth, that wars with no other nation and still go raccoon hunting for dinner.

Satyamavejayanti

"paarsurre"
It is about "Agni" being peaceful, not about one human being not harming others humans or animal, so it is not related to the term Ahimsa exactly as coined by Hinduism currently or in Post-Vedic-Period. Right? Please
Is Agni peaceful? Please​

Namaste,

In Adhyatmika sense Agni is the Inner fire, the poetic doer, the light and Tapas within us Humans.

Anyways, it looks like you have read the quote for Ahimsa in Rigveda provided by Jainarayana, will you now agree that there is Ahimsa mentioned in the Vedas?

Because you keep repeating that there is no mention of Ahimsa in Vedas, which is not correct, can you at least acknowledge this fact.

But i guess i am expecting too much from a person who thinks that they are always "Right". Right?

Dhanyavad

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Namaste,
In Adhyatmika sense Agni is the Inner fire, the poetic doer, the light and Tapas within us Humans.
Anyways, it looks like you have read the quote for Ahimsa in Rigveda provided by Jainarayana, will you now agree that there is Ahimsa mentioned in the Vedas?
Because you keep repeating that there is no mention of Ahimsa in Vedas, which is not correct, can you at least acknowledge this fact.
But i guess i am expecting too much from a person who thinks that they are always "Right". Right?
Dhanyavad

I never said that I am always right? Did I? Please
The word Ahimsa was quoted by friend @Jainarayan in Rigveda, but it is not in the same sense as the term "Ahimsa" these days implies and is understood. I requested friends here to quote all such verses in Veda, with references, where this word has been used so that I could read such places more closely for my own understanding. I was told that I should do my own home-work. Please
Right? Please
Regards

Satyamavejayanti

paarsurre

Namaste,

I never said that I am always right? Did I? Please

No, but neither did you acknowledge your mistake?

The word Ahimsa was quoted by friend @Jainarayan in Rigveda, but it is not in the same sense as the term "Ahimsa" these days implies and is understood. I requested friends here to quote all such verses in Veda, with references, where this word has been used so that I could read such places more closely for my own understanding. I was told that I should do my own home-work. Please

Instead of providing quotes with the word Ahimsa (which already has been done), i suggest you first read about the concept and practice of Ahimsa, as Ahimsa is not a commandment from the Veda Samhita but a expression of our innate Sat-chit-Annand Atman which supersedes any texts or religious dogma.

i suggest these few sites to help you understand, if you still need more information then i suggest searching Google.

http://www.hindupedia.com/en/Ahimsa_Paramo_Dharma

http://www.dlshq.org/teachings/ahimsa.htm

http://www.hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/concepts/ahimsa.asp

https://www.himalayanacademy.com/readlearn/basics/ahimsa-nonviolence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahimsa

And since you seem to favour Arya Samaj Translations (although outdated Devi Chands translations), here is a link of some Mantras from the Samhitas that portray the concept of Ahimsa.

http://www.aryasamaj.com/enews/2010/oct/2.htm

And Ahimsa for other Hindu Sampradayas/missions/movements

http://www.swamivivekanandaquotes.org/2014/01/swami-vivekananda-ahimsa-non-injury-quotes.html

http://practicalphilosophy.in/2011/09/03/swami-chinmayananda-the-three-principles/

http://vaishnava.me/?s=Ahimsa

http://www.kamakotimandali.com/blog/index.php?p=1369&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

http://www.universalshaivafellowship.org/teachings/discipline/#.V9sr2VR96Uk

Hope this helps

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Is the Term "Ahimsa" or nonviolence mentioned in Yajurveda?

We discuss every chapter/verse in Rigveda in which the word "peace" has been used in the translation by Griffith, one by one in this thread. I give the fifth such verse:

5.[05-072] HYMN LXXIL Mitra-Varuna.

1 To Varuna and Mitra we offerwith songs, as Atri did. Sit on the sacred grass to drink the Soma
juice.
2 By Ordinance and Law ye dwell in peace secure, bestirring men.
Sit on the sacred grass to drink the Soma juice.
3 May Varuna and Mitra, for our help, accept the sacrifice.
Sit on the sacred grass to drink the Soma juice.

Ahimsa
(Sanskrit: अहिंसा; IAST: ahimsā, Pāli:[1] avihiṃsā) is a term meaning 'not to injure' and 'compassion'.[2][3] The word is derived from the Sanskrit root hiṃs – to strike; hiṃsā is injury or harm, a-hiṃsā is the opposite of this, i.e. cause no injury, do no harm.[4][5] Ahimsa is also referred to as nonviolence, and it applies to all living beings—including all animals—according to many Indian religions.[6]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahimsa

Regards