• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the word "Ahimsa" or nonviolence mentioned in Yajurveda?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Do you even know what 'post' means?
Post is after like post-mortem, the operation/examination done after one is dead. When it is fixed before a word it means “behind,” “after,” “later,” “subsequent to”. Right? Please
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Yajurveda CHAPTER V

25. O members of an Assembly, just as ye are the removers of
miseries, so I, the diffuser of the force of foes, having paid my homage
to ye, devoted people, set right these proud people by arms in the battle.
Just as ye are the killers of the sinners, so I, the scanner of the forces
of the enemy
, having made ye, devoted people, comfortable, turn aside
the ignoble people. Just as I, the arranger of the troops indifferent
orders, fill with ease, ye, the destroyers of foes and performers of sacri-
fices, so do ye. Just as ye the killers of foes and acquirers of strength,
receive the worshipper and the learned priest, so do I. Just as ye the
destroyers of foes, and acquirers of strength, know through reasoning
the ways of the learned, and the knowledge pertaining to God, so should
I. Just as ye all are worshippers of All pervading God, so am I.

https://archive.org/stream/yajurveda029670mbp/yajurveda029670mbp_djvu.txt

No mention of Ahimsa in Veda/Yajurveda. War, warriors and arms are mentioned in it and so often.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Yajurveda CHAPTER V

37. May this General, the queller of the sinners like fire, give us
protection. This General expert in military skill, should in the battle
first attack and subdue the wicked foes. May he win all wars. May he
conquer foes. May he come out successful in combats, issuing necessary
administrative orders.

38. O General, attack the enemy with full force > and give ample
room for our abode
. O learned General, just as fire assimilates ghee and
burns brightly -, so shouldst thou develop thy virtues and shine in battles.
Just as priests protecting the worshipper make him overcome all
calamities, so shouldst thou with thy oratory win battles.

No mention of Ahimsa in Veda/Yajurveda. War, warriors, battles,foes and arms are mentioned in it and so often. Not a chapter goes but we find several verses of war. It is not mentioned in the internal context of the verses as to when to make peace and when to make war. It is not therefore true that only "battle of ten kings" was fought in the Indian-sub-Continent, as a friend here have us to believe. If this would have been the case then only in the relevant chapter it has been mentioned, but war is mentioned all along in Yajurveda and since I started reading Rigveda, I find war fought in the very earlier chapters. If Veda is in chronological order then it entails that too many battles were fought and all in the region of the Indian-sub-Continent against the local and native people.
Regards

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

Yajurveda CHAPTER V

37. May this General, the queller of the sinners like fire, give us
protection. This General expert in military skill, should in the battle
first attack and subdue the wicked foes. May he win all wars. May he
conquer foes. May he come out successful in combats, issuing necessary
administrative orders.

38. O General, attack the enemy with full force > and give ample
room for our abode
. O learned General, just as fire assimilates ghee and
burns brightly -, so shouldst thou develop thy virtues and shine in battles.
Just as priests protecting the worshipper make him overcome all
calamities, so shouldst thou with thy oratory win battles.

Paar, I cannot find the above verse in any of the translations that I have read. For instance, see this version:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/yv/

I cannot find mention of this war prayer online other than in the link you provided.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Friend @Madhuri !
I was checking from the link provided by you. I think both, Devi Chand and Griffith, have adopted different numbering systems. Please
Regards

von bek

Paar, I cannot find the above verse in any of the translations that I have read. For instance, see this version:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/yv/

I cannot find mention of this war prayer online other than in the link you provided.

Reading through the link you provided. Something really weird is going on. What you shared is a text that is obviously polytheistic. Many gods are referenced throughout. However, the quotes paar provides look positively scrubbed of all those polytheistic references...

von bek

Just to be clear, I do not think the OP is the one doing the scrubbing of polytheism. Only remarking that the text he is using seems to have done so.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Paar,
I posted in your other thread but think this is relevant here as well.
The Upanishads are the philosophical verses of the Vedas. They are the best means of gaining philosophical understanding of Vedas.
http://www.religiousforums.com/threads/are-vedas-in-chronological-order.190463/#post-4877624

I have replied it in that thread also and give it here also:

"Sama Veda; it even mentions peace.
The Self is hidden in the lotus of the heart.
Those who see themselves in all the creatures go day by day into the world of Brahman hidden in the heart. Established in peace, they rise above body consciousness to the supreme light of the Self. Immortal, free from fear, this Self is Brahman, called the True. Beyond the mortal and the immortal, he binds both worlds together. Those who know this live day after day in heaven in this very life.- Chandogya Upanishad"

This verse also doesn't talk of Ahimsa*, not harming , killing or waging battles or wars or bloodshed and the like. This verse talks of peace in the self, that means not harming or doing self-immolation or killing one's own self.

* the principle of nonviolence toward all living things.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

The word Ahimsa is not mentioned neither literally nor as a term in Veda/Yajurveda/Rigveda. I will, however, quote here all the verses here in which the word "peace" either as the word peace is used or as a part of it from Rigveda to start with:

[01-013] HYMN XIII. Agni
9 Ila, Sarasvati, Mahi, three Goddesses who bring delight,
Be seated, peaceful, on the grass.
[01-067] HYMN LXVII. Agni.
1. VICTORIOUS in the wood, Friend among men, ever he claims obedience as a King.
Gracious like peace, blessing like mental power, Priest was he, offering-bearer, full of thought.
[04-050] HYMN L. Brhaspati.
7 Surely that King by power and might heroic hath made him lord of all his foes' posses-ions,
Who cherishes Brhaspati well-tended, adorns and worships him as foremost sharer.
8 In his own house he dwells in peace and comfort: to him for ever holy food flows richly.
To him the people with free will pay homage-the King with whom the Brahman hatb precedence.
[05-037] HYMN XXXVII. Indra.
5 May he support in peace and win in battle: he masters both the hosts that meet together.
Dear shall he be to Surya, dear to Agni, who with pressed Soma offers gifts to India.
[05-072] HYMN LXXIL Mitra-Varuna.
1 To Varuna and Mitra we offerwith songs, as Atri did. Sit on the sacred grass to drink the Soma juice.
2 By Ordinance and Law ye dwell in peace secure, bestirring men.
Sit on the sacred grass to drink the Soma juice.
[06-003] HYMN III. Agni.
1. TRUE, guardian of the Law, thy faithful servant wins ample light and dwells in peace, O Agni, Whom thou, as Varuna in accord with Mitra, guardest, O God, by banishing his trouble.
4 Fierce is his gait and vast his wondrous body: he champeth like a horse with bit and bridle,
And, darting forth his tongue, as 'twere a hatchet, burning the woods, smelteth them like a smelter.
5 Archer-like, fain to shoot, he sets his arrow, and whets his splendour like the edge of iron:
The messenger of night with brilliant pathway, like a tree-roosting bird of rapid pinion.
[06-050] HYMN L. Visvedevas.
7 Give full protection, Friends of man, ye Waters, in peace and trouble, to our sons and grandsons.
For ye are our most motherly physicians, parents of all that standeth, all that moveth.
[07-032] HYMN XXXII. Indra
2 For here, like flies on honey, these who pray to thee sit by the juice that they have poured.
Wealth-craving singers have on Indra set their hope, as men set foot upon a car.
3 Longing for wealth I call on him, the Thunderer with the strong right hand,
As a son calleth on his sire.
4 These Soma juices, mixed with curd, have been expressed for Indra here.
Come with thy Bay Steeds, Thunder-wielder, to our home, to drink them till they make thee glad.
5 May he whose ear is open hear us. He is asked for wealth: will he despise our prayer?
Him who bestows at once a hundred thousand gifts none shall restrain when he would give.
6 The hero never checked by men hath gained his strength through Indra, he
Who presses out and pours his deep libations forth, O Vrtra-slayer, unto thee.
7 When thou dost drive the fighting men together be, thou Mighty One, the mighty's shield.
May we divide the wealth of him whom thou hast slain: bring us, Unreachable, his goods.
8 For Indra, Soma-drinker, armed with thunder, press the Soma juice.
Make ready your dressed meats: cause him to favour us. The Giver blesses him who gives.
9 Grudge not, ye Soma pourers; stir you, pay the rites, for wealth, to the great Conqueror.
Only the active conquers dwells in peace, and thrives: not for the niggard are the Gods.
[07-069] HYMN LXIX. Asvins.
5 O Chariot-borne, this car of yours invested with rays of light comes harnessed to our dwelling.
Herewith, O Asvins, while the dawn is breaking, to this our sacrifice bring peace and blessing.
[07-082] HYMN LXXXIT. Indra-Varuna
4 In battels and in frays we ministering priests, kneeling upon our knees for furtherance of our weal,
Invoke you, only you, the Lords of twofold wealth, you prompt to hear, we bards, O Indra-Varuna.
5 O Indra-Varuna, as ye created all these creatures of the world by your surpassing might,
In peace and quiet Mitra waits on Varuna, the Other, awful, with the Maruis seeks renown.
6 That Varuna's high worth may shine preeminent, these Twain have measured each his proper power and might.
The One subdueth the destructive enemy; the Other with a few furthereth many a man.
[08-001] HYMN I. Indra.
2 Even him, eternal, like a bull who rushes down, men's Conqueror, bounteous like a cow;
Him who is cause of both, of enmity and peace, to both sides most munificent.
[08-073] HYMN LXXIII. Agni.
8 Hirn Wise and Strong they glorify, the foremost Champion in the fray,
And mighty in his dwelling-place.
9 Agni, he dwells in rest and peace who smites and no one smites again:
With hero sons he prospers well
[10-027] HYMN XXVII. Indra.
3 I know not him who sayeth and declareth that he hath slain the godless in the battle.
Soon as they see the furious combat raging, men speak forth praises of my vigorous horses.
4 While yet my deeds of might were unrecorded, all passed for Maghavans though I existed.
The potent one who dwelt in peace I conquered, grasped by the foot and slew him on the mountain.
5 None hinder me in mine heroic exploits, no, not the mountains when I will and purpose.
Even the deaf will tremble at my roaring, and every day will dust be agitated.
6 To see the Indraless oblation-drinkers, mean offerers, o'ertaken by destruction!
Then shall the fellies of my car pass over those who have blamed my joyous Friend and scorned him.
[10-035] HYMN XXXV. Visvedevas.
1. THESE fires associate with Indra are awake, bringing their light when first the Dawn begins to shine.
May Heaven and Earth, great Pair, observe our holy work. We claim for us this day the favour of the Gods.
2 Yea, for ourselves we claim the grace of Heaven and Earth, of Saryanavan, of the Hills and Mother Streams.
For innocence we pray to Surya and to Dawn. So may the flowing Soma bring us bliss to-day.
3 May the great Twain, the Mothers, Heaven and Earth, this day preserve us free from sin for peace and happiness.
[10-059] HYMN LIX. Nirrti and Others.
7 May Earth restore to us our vital spirit, may Heaven the Goddess and mid-air restore it.
May Soma give us once again our body, and Pusan show the Path of peace and comfort.
[10-059] HYMN LIX. Nirrti and Others.
7 May Earth restore to us our vital spirit, may Heaven the Goddess and mid-air restore it.
May Soma give us once again our body, and Pusan show the Path of peace and comfort.
[10-110] HYMN CX. Apris.
4 By rule the Sacred Grass is scattered eastward, a robe to clothe this earth when dawns are
breaking.
Widely it spreads around and far-extended, fair for the Gods and bringing peace and freedom.
[10-152] HYMN CLII. Indra.
1. A MIGHTY Governor art thou, Wondrous, Destroyer of the foe,
Whose friend is never done to death, and never, never overcome.
2 Lord of the clan, who brings us bliss, Strong, Warrior, Slayer of the fiend,
May India, Soma-drinker, go before us, Bull who gives us peace.
3 Drive Raksasas and foes away, break thou in pieces Vrtra'sjaws:
O Vrtra-slaying Indra, quell the foeman's wrath who threatens us.
4 O Indra, humb beat our foes awayle the men who challenge us:
Send down to nether darkness him who seeks to do us injury.
5 Baffle the foeman's plan, ward off his weapon who would conquer us.
Give shelter from his furious wrath, and keep his murdering dart afar.
[10-166] HYMN CLXVI. Sapatnanasanam.
1. MAKE me a bull among my peers, make me my rivals, conqueror:
Make me the slayer of my foes, a sovran ruler, lord of kine
2 I am my rivals' slayer, like Indra unwounded and unhurt,
And all these enemies of mine are vanquished and beneath my feet
3 Here, verily, I bind you fast, as the two bow-ends with the string.
Press down these men, O Lord of Speech, that they may humbly speak to me.
4 Hither I came as conqueror with mighty all-effecting power,
And I have mastered all your thought, your synod, and your holy work.
5 May I be highest, having gained your strength in war, your skill in peace
my feet have trodden on your heads.
Speak to me from beneath my feet, as frogs from out the water croak, as frogs from out the water
croak.
[10-182] HYMN CLXXXII. Brhaspati.
1. BRHASPATI lead us safely over troubless and turn his evil thought against the sinner;
Repel the curse, and drive away ill-feeling, and give the sacrificer peace and cornfort!
2 May Naratarhsa aid us at Prayaja: blest be our Anuyaja at invokings.
May he repel the curse, and chase ill-feeling, and give the sacrificer peace and comfort.
3 May he whose head is flaming burn the demons, haters of prayer, so that the arrow slay them.
May he repel the curse and chase ill-feeling, and give the sacrificer peace and comfort.
http://www.sanskritweb.net/rigveda/griffith.pdf
Please

Regards

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Rig Veda 5.64.6

अस्य परियस्य शर्मण्य अहिंसानस्य सश्चिरे ||
asya priyasya śarmaṇy ahiṃsānasya saścire ||
Men go protected in the charge of this dear Friend who harms us not.

ahiMsA अहिंसा

BOOYAH!!! :)

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
It is unfortunate that so much of the Yajur Veda has been lost to history.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Parsurrey, the word used in YajurVeda is ‘peace’ (Shantih). My search finds it to occur at 25 places. If you want to know more about it, do your own research. I am giving you the link: https://www.google.co.in/?client=pu...tesearch=www.sacred-texts.com&hl=en&gws_rd=cr

In RigVeda, I find it to be mentioned at 143 places. The link is here: https://www.google.co.in/?client=pu...om&hl=en&q=rv+peace+site:www.sacred-texts.com

Aryans were afraid of their two-month long dark cold nights in the sub-Arctic regions. They attributed it to imaginary demons of darkness, Vritra and his likes (just as you take Iblis to make people do evil, and when you go for Zil-Hajj, you throw stones at three pillars to subdue it, ‘rami al-jamarat’’. Of course, all these are but superstitions, which even the Gods are, all of them without any exception). Zoroastrians considered it to be a great snake, Aži Dahāka. What else do you expect from people of a herding community 12 or 15,000 years ago during the ice-age when much or Europe and some of Siberia was covered with snow. They performed rituals which were supposed to bring back sun at the appointed time. They prayed to their Gods, chief among them being Indra, to fight and overcome the demons of darkness. The Vedas are prayers to Gods. They were not codes of behavior. How a person should behave is mentioned in what are known as ‘dharma shastra’.[/QUOTE]

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Parsurrey, the word used in YajurVeda is ‘peace’ (Shantih). My search finds it to occur at 25 places. If you want to know more about it, do your own research. I am giving you the link: https://www.google.co.in/?client=pu...tesearch=www.sacred-texts.com&hl=en&gws_rd=cr

In RigVeda, I find it to be mentioned at 143 places. The link is here: https://www.google.co.in/?client=pu...om&hl=en&q=rv+peace+site:www.sacred-texts.com

Aryans were afraid of their two-month long dark cold nights in the sub-Arctic regions. They attributed it to imaginary demons of darkness, Vritra and his likes (just as you take Iblis to make people do evil, and when you go for Zil-Hajj, you throw stones at three pillars to subdue it, ‘rami al-jamarat’’. Of course, all these are but superstitions, which even the Gods are, all of them without any exception). Zoroastrians considered it to be a great snake, Aži Dahāka. What else do you expect from people of a herding community 12 or 15,000 years ago during the ice-age when much or Europe and some of Siberia was covered with snow. They performed rituals which were supposed to bring back sun at the appointed time. They prayed to their Gods, chief among them being Indra, to fight and overcome the demons of darkness. The Vedas are prayers to Gods. They were not codes of behavior. How a person should behave is mentioned in what are known as ‘dharma shastra’.

I think one's mind is unnecessarily locked in Arctic. First , it was an obsession of B.G.Tilak, a politician. Veda does not support it. What is there in the Arctic, that one likes it so much. It is only snow and ice, no remnants of the "Arya" found in the Arctic . I think you have to square it with Satyamavejayant. both of you. My outlook is not racial.
Regards

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You are very much uninformed, and that does not surprise me. I do not expect fundamentalist Muslims to have either knowledge or intelligence. People like you make other people laugh at Islam. See these images. All these are supposed to be Proto-Indo-European cultures.

400px-IE_expansion.png
300px-Andronovo_culture.png
300px-Indo-Iranian_origins.png
220px-Yamna-en.svg.png
300px-From_Corded_Ware_to_Sintashta.jpg

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
You are very much uninformed, and that does not surprise me. I do not expect fundamentalist Muslims to have either knowledge or intelligence. People like you make other people laugh at Islam. See these images. All these are supposed to be Proto-Indo-European cultures.

400px-IE_expansion.png
300px-Andronovo_culture.png
300px-Indo-Iranian_origins.png
220px-Yamna-en.svg.png
300px-From_Corded_Ware_to_Sintashta.jpg
I never claimed to be a scholar. I am an ordinary man in the street treading on the truthful path and yet in search of more Truth.
If one would search for the archaeology of the Arctic and its people, one would find no trace of "Arya/n" anywhere or nowhere. Please
Nevertheless, I will confine with the inner evidence of Veda that does not agree with one.
I however find some links provided by one in another thread to be informative and useful.
Thanks and regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Rig Veda 5.64.6

अस्य परियस्य शर्मण्य अहिंसानस्य सश्चिरे ||
asya priyasya śarmaṇy ahiṃsānasya saścire ||
Men go protected in the charge of this dear Friend who harms us not.

ahiMsA अहिंसा

BOOYAH!!! :)
Its good that at last one did find Ahimsa as a part of a word. Please quote all such verses that mention Ahimsa as a word or a part of a word, even if not used in the same sense as the term Ahimsa in the Post-Vedic Period, used in exactly opposite sense as given by one above though. Please
Regards