• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If your religion makes you treat others badly or causes you to look down on others, you're better off not having it.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
What religion makes one treat others badly?

Most Christian churches have an altar that sits on a platform where the preacher/minister/priest stands, which requires them to look down on the congregation. Does this count?

David1967

Premium Member

Most Christian churches have an altar that sits on a platform where the preacher/minister/priest stands, which requires them to look down on the congregation. Does this count?
I meant this question on an individual basis.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

A certain segment of Hindus considered caste based discrimination as religious observance. There are certain certain shastra and purana texts that are disparaging to "lower" castes and women. So yes, it can happen.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
A certain segment of Hindus considered caste based discrimination as religious observance. There are certain certain shastra and purana texts that are disparaging to "lower" castes and women. So yes, it can happen.
Does this still happen in present day?

Not exactly on topic, but I've found reference shastras that I find unsettling. Just yesterday I was reading The Gospel of Sri Ramakrinsha he mentions that there are shastras that condone animal sacrifice, specifically the killing of a goat on the 8th day after the full moon. Are such rites still performed today?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Does this still happen in present day?

Not exactly on topic, but I've found reference shastras that I find unsettling. Just yesterday I was reading The Gospel of Sri Ramakrinsha he mentions that there are shastras that condone animal sacrifice, specifically the killing of a goat on the 8th day after the full moon. Are such rites still performed today?
In rural areas of Eastern India...yes.
I do not find that too disturbing. People eat goats anyway, what difference does it make to the goat if it is during the Puja or a butcher shop?
There are still temples where people stop lower castes from entering. So it's still a problem.
Temple in Salem sealed after caste Hindus prevent entry of Dalits

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The US Civil War was fought about slavery and how the Bible could be used to condemn or approve of it.

But I agree with the OP but would modify it to say

If someone's interpretation of your religion makes...​

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
People eat goats anyway, what difference does it make to the goat if it is during the Puja or a butcher shop?
People don't eat goats here in the States. I suppose the method in which the goat is killed would matter to the goat. While I'm aware of animal husbandry practices, I'm not aware of how the goat would be killed in a puja.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
True or false, agree or disagree. Why or why not?

As a former Christian, I believe this to be true. In my case, however, I'm better off without Christianity because of the mistreatment and severe abuse I received at the hands of other Christians, especially my Christian parents, who felt they had the right to "discipline" me as they saw fit. I can't recall how many times I heard "spare the rod, spoil the child" from my parents, my Christian relatives, or other Christian parents while I was growing up. I'd also like to mention that the vast majority of the members of my support group for survivors of childhood abuse are former Christians who suffered abuse at the hands of their Christian parents, their Christian relatives or guardians, or other adults in positions of authority who are Christian. This is why I think it's true.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually goat is on the menu in a few places. Eat goat near me turned up quite a few hits.
I've never been to a restaurant that served goat nor have I see goat in any grocery stores or butcher shops. I've also never met a person who ate goat meat.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
A person's religiosity can be either good or bad

If it inspires them to be nice and to be good to others then that's fantastic

But if it makes them obnoxious and nasty to others then that can only be a bad thing